How long till excess beta-carotene is removed from the body?

Ippodrom47

Hello! I figured that my low thyroid issues coincided with the time I started having too much carotene-rich food in my diet several months ago (carrots, bell peppers, squash, lots of greens, etc). My TSH is normal, however, both free t4 and t3 are at the very low end. I've ditched pretty much all high-carotene foods by now, which seems to be helping. Also, my skin tint is a very noticeable yellow. I've heard that the latter can take months to resolve. Would like to know a similar experience as the symptoms are almost debilitating at times. Thanks!

Hello! I figured that my low thyroid issues coincided with the time I started having too much carotene-rich food in my diet several months ago (carrots, bell peppers, squash, lots of greens, etc). My TSH is normal, however, both free t4 and t3 are at the very low end. I've ditched pretty much all high-carotene foods by now, which seems to be helping. Also, my skin tint is a very noticeable yellow. I've heard that the latter can take months to resolve. Would like to know a similar experience as the symptoms are almost debilitating at times. Thanks!
My mom's skin turned orange once eating too many carrots, but it cleared out quickly. How long ago did you ditch the beta carotene foods?

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

My mom's skin turned orange once eating too many carrots, but it cleared out quickly. How long ago did you ditch the beta carotene foods?
Hi! Thanks for your reply! Not long ago, a couple of weeks, I guess. And I also didn't know that parsley, green beans, and paprika also contained lots of beta-carotene, so even less than that.

shine

Many years ago I was addicted to kratom (high in beta-carotene) and took many grams of it daily for years. I also ate lots of salads with lots of leafy greens and used high amounts of paprika/chili powder. My skin turned noticeably yellow, but after stopping the kratom and salads/spices it returned to a normal colour after about 3-4 months.

According to Peat, T3 and B12 can help with lowering blood levels of beta-carotene.

Hi! Thanks for your reply! Not long ago, a couple of weeks, I guess. And I also didn't know that parsley, green beans, and paprika also contained lots of beta-carotene, so even less than that.
Parsley and green beans! Gosh I thought it was only orange fruits and vegetables! I learn SO much everybody's questions! Yeah before Ray Peat I had really good tanned skin through the winters and didn't know why until i finally realized it was the high amounts of beta carotene in them. I loved the look, but have since ditched them. Glad to hear you got your normal color back!

P

Peatness

Hi! How long does it take to go away? Do you also experience cold intolerance, constipation, etc?
Yes, cold intolerance cold hands and feet are some of my symptoms. If I stop all carotene foods it does go away in a week or two but it's impossible to avoid all carotene. I've stopped kale juice.

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

Yes, cold intolerance cold hands and feet are some of my symptoms. If I stop all carotene foods it does go away in a week or two but it's impossible to avoid all carotene. I've stopped kale juice.
Do you mean the yellow tint of the skin goes away or the symptoms as well?
I have not been paying too much attention to restricting carotene lately and now have the worst constipation ever, cold all the time, runny nose, dry skin, etc. Need to go on a low b-carotene diet again. By the way, do you take thyroid or any other meds? Thanks!

P

Peatness

Do you mean the yellow tint of the skin goes away or the symptoms as well?
I have not been paying too much attention to restricting carotene lately and now have the worst constipation ever, cold all the time, runny nose, dry skin, etc. Need to go on a low b-carotene diet again. By the way, do you take thyroid or any other meds? Thanks!
The yellow tint does improve but it doesn't complete resolve. It's impossible to avoid all carotene. Magnesium should help your constipation

OP
Ippodrom47

Ippodrom47

The yellow tint does improve but it doesn't complete resolve. It's impossible to avoid all carotene. Magnesium should help your constipation
I was also wondering if levothyroxine might help. My endo prescribed it not long ago, but other docs didn't, given my unusual thyroid panel (low free t3 and free t4, normal TSH and antibodies).

P

Peatness

I was also wondering if levothyroxine might help. My endo prescribed it not long ago, but other docs didn't, given my unusual thyroid panel (low free t3 and free t4, normal TSH and antibodies).
If you have been prescribed this by your doctor he/she may be in a better postion to answer your questions. Have you looked into high adrenaline?

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals