How long is it safe to take antibiotics?

andrewlee224

I have an antibiotic called Lymecycline which apparently is some tetracycline derivative. I don't know how good it is but I assumed it may be OK since it belongs to the cycline class which have a good reputation around here.
I've started taking it and I feel much better right away, I actually have a sort of a sense of wellbeing which I suspect healthy people feel all the time, but I just forgot how it feels not being battered by endotoxins and latent infections.
So my question is, how long would it be relatively safe to take? I've read some bad reports about tetracyclines causing black thyroid, black teeth, or lowering mitochondrial respiration over longer term so I'm a bit wary. Would 2 weeks be relatively safe? I bet quite a few people on this forum have relevant experience.

I have an antibiotic called Lymecycline which apparently is some tetracycline derivative. I don't know how good it is but I assumed it may be OK since it belongs to the cycline class which have a good reputation around here.
I've started taking it and I feel much better right away, I actually have a sort of a sense of wellbeing which I suspect healthy people feel all the time, but I just forgot how it feels not being battered by endotoxins and latent infections.
So my question is, how long would it be relatively safe to take? I've read some bad reports about tetracyclines causing black thyroid, black teeth, or lowering mitochondrial respiration over longer term so I'm a bit wary. Would 2 weeks be relatively safe? I bet quite a few people on this forum have relevant experience.
You might want to ask The Beard that question. He seems to be really hip on antibiotics, which I personally don't understand.

peateats1

You might want to ask The Beard that question. He seems to be really hip on antibiotics, which I personally don't understand.
He actually keeps giving pretty bad and dangerous advice on antibiotics. Telling people to take augmentin, when it doesn't even target most bad bacteria strains/infections, and could potentially make their health problems worse.

He actually keeps giving pretty bad and dangerous advice on antibiotics. Telling people to take augmentin, when it doesn't even target most bad bacteria strains/infections, and could potentially make their health problems worse.
I know I don't get it! Even mainstream medical advice says antibiotics are only to be used when absolutely necessary. I was thinking maybe there is something I don't know? Can you believe he told me not drinking coffee is better than drinking coffee, on a Ray Peat forum? I have been dumbfounded!

Look ANYWHERE on the internet about how UNHEALTHY antibiotics are. They are NOT to be used for "good health", but for emergency purposes. Ray Peat even talks about how even a one time use of them can cause health problems the rest of your life.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210513-105418_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210513-105418_Samsung Internet.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 66

Korven

I also took (a lot) of Lymecycline for 6 weeks or so. My health did not improve and my skin issues got even worse. If I could go back in time I would just avoid antibiotics and instead use other tools. But that's just my experience, some get amazing results from the right combination of antibiotics. I think the safest way of using antibiotics is the "Ray Peat Protocol" of using small amounts of penicillin/tetracyclines for just a couple days until you feel better.

Jing

Antibiotics were the only thing that helped with me not needing to wipe 20 times after going poo I did a week course of Azithromycin during that week and about 2-3 days after stopping I only needed to wipe like twice after bowel movements.
I want to do a longer course to see if I can cure this issue but am worried about potential long term problems,any advice ?

I also took (a lot) of Lymecycline for 6 weeks or so. My health did not improve and my skin issues got even worse. If I could go back in time I would just avoid antibiotics and instead use other tools. But that's just my experience, some get amazing results from the right combination of antibiotics. I think the safest way of using antibiotics is the "Ray Peat Protocol" of using small amounts of penicillin/tetracyclines for just a couple days until you feel better.
You could get the same effect eating roquefort cheese. I wish people in general would get off the pill wagon and start acting like rational people. My mom died from doctor prescribed pills and I see too many people I know talking about all their latest pill finds and it isn't attractive or interesting. I thought this forum was gonna be about real food and healing, but it is a lot of people playing doctor and a lot of sheep falling for it ughh....

I think antibiotics are very safe if you are careful. Small "empirical" dosages is what Dr. Peat calls it. I often used to take 30mg of amoxycillin or doxycycline every day or two and felt great. A few weeks ago I took a dose (full) of azithromycin becuause I was feeling cra*py and I felt better in a few days. Just love them.

One tip: if you ever get diarrhea, take S. Boulardii and that usually fixes it.

I think antibiotics are very safe if you are careful. Small "empirical" dosages is what Dr. Peat calls it. I often used to take 30mg of amoxycillin or doxycycline every day or two and felt great. A few weeks ago I took a dose (full) of azithromycin becuause I was feeling cra*py and I felt better in a few days. Just love them.

One tip: if you ever get diarrhea, take S. Boulardii and that usually fixes it.
Well that is exactly how my aunt died, taking a small dose here and there not knowing she had some diverticulitis brewing. The antibiotics gave the whole mess more strength and the infection was too strong to fight it. It rotted her intestines and she died from sepsis.

Well that is exactly how my aunt died, taking a small dose here and there not knowing she had some diverticulitis brewing. The antibiotics gave the whole mess more strength and the infection was too strong to fight it. It rotted her intestines and she died from sepsis.

That is terrible. But it may or may not be because of the antibiotics but it isn't really relevant IMHO.

That is terrible. But it may or may not be because of the antibiotics but it isn't really relevant IMHO.
The surgeon said it was her inappropriate use of the anti-biotics that were prescribed to her for her toothache. She was feeling good and stopped, and didn't finish bottle like she was suppose to. You don't know what is going on in a body, and playing with antibiotics is like Ray Peat playing wheat germ and rotting out his teeth. He warns of their use as much as he says he had some good LUCK with them too. There are two sides to anti-biotics no matter how much you love 'em.

The surgeon said it was her inappropriate use of the anti-biotics that were prescribed to her for her toothache. She was feeling good and stopped, and didn't finish bottle like she was suppose to. You don't know what is going on in a body, and playing with antibiotics is like Ray Peat playing wheat germ and rotting out his teeth. He warns of their use as much as he says he had some good LUCK with them too. There are two sides to anti-biotics no matter how much you love 'em.

I'm so sorry. That is an awful story.

vetbusd

could you elaborate on a peaty protocole?
im considering taking augmentin and nystatin until my bacterial or fungal infection stops, but I dont want to do any damage to myself

Korven

could you elaborate on a peaty protocole?
im considering taking augmentin and nystatin until my bacterial or fungal infection stops, but I dont want to do any damage to myself

Smaller amounts of tetracyclines or penicillin, like 50 mg for a couple days. Though personally I think I prefer iodine in large doses, I'm getting some awesome effects from it.

Beastmode

Straight from Peat for anyone considering AUGMENTIN: :oops:

Dig Dis Sci. 2016 Aug;61(8):2406-16.
Amoxicillin-Clavulanate-Induced Liver Injury.
deLemos AS(1), Ghabril M(2), Rockey DC(3), Gu J(4), Barnhart HX(4), Fontana
RJ(5), Kleiner DE(6), Bonkovsky HL(7); Drug-Induced Liver Injury Network (DILIN).
(1)Department of Medicine, Carolinas Medical Center, 1025 Morehead Medical Drive,
Suite 600, Charlotte, NC, 28204, USA. [email protected].
(2)Department of Medicine, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis,
IN, USA.(3)Department of Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina, Charleston, SC,
USA.(4)Duke Clinical Research Institute, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, NC,
USA.(5)Department of Medicine, University of Michigan School of Medicine, Ann Arbor,
MI, USA.(6)Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD, USA.
(7)Department of Medicine, Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center, Winston Salem, NC,
USA.
BACKGROUND AND AIMS: Amoxicillin-clavulanate (AC) is the most frequent cause of
idiosyncratic drug-induced injury (DILI) in the US DILI Network (DILIN) registry.
Here, we examined a large cohort of AC-DILI cases and compared features of
AC-DILI to those of other drugs.
METHODS: Subjects with suspected DILI were enrolled prospectively, and cases were
adjudicated as previously described. Clinical variables and outcomes of patients
with AC-DILI were compared to the overall DILIN cohort and to DILI caused by
other antimicrobials.
RESULTS: One hundred and seventeen subjects with AC-DILI were identified from the
cohort (n = 1038) representing 11 % of all cases and 24 % of those due to
antimicrobial agents (n = 479). Those with AC-DILI were older (60 vs. 48 years,
P < 0.001). AC-DILI was more frequent in men than women (62 vs. 39 %) compared to
the overall cohort (40 vs. 60 %, P < 0.001). The mean time to symptom onset was
31 days. The Tb, ALT, and ALP were 7 mg/dL, 478, and 325 U/L at onset. Nearly all
liver biopsies showed prominent cholestatic features. Resolution of AC-DILI,
defined by return of Tb to <2.5 mg/dL, occurred on average 55 days after the peak
value. Three female subjects required liver transplantation, and none died due to
DILI.
CONCLUSION: AC-DILI causes a moderately severe, mixed hepatocellular-cholestatic
injury, particularly in older men, unlike DILI in general, which predominates in
women. Although often protracted, eventual apparent recovery is typical,
particularly for men and usually in women, but three women required liver
transplantation.

Int J Mol Sci. 2016 Feb 6;17(2):224.
Hepatotoxicity by Drugs: The Most Common Implicated Agents.
Björnsson ES(1).
(1)Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology,
The National University Hospital of Iceland and The Faculty of Medicine, The
University of Iceland, 108 Reykjavik, Iceland. [email protected].
Idiosyncratic drug-induced liver injury (DILI) is an underreported and
underestimated adverse drug reaction. Information on the documented
hepatotoxicity of drugs has recently been made available by a website that can be
accessed in the public domain: LiverTox (http://livertox.nlm.nih.gov). According
to critical analysis of the hepatotoxicity of drugs in LiverTox, 53% of drugs had
at least one case report of convincing reports of liver injury. Only 48 drugs had
more than 50 case reports of DILI. Amoxicillin-clavulanate is the most commonly
implicated agent leading to DILI in the prospective series. In a recent
prospective study, liver injury due to amoxicillin-clavulanate was found to occur
in approximately one out of 2300 users. Drugs with the highest risk of DILI in
this study were azathioprine and infliximab.

Expert Opin Drug Saf. 2009 Jan;8(1):111-8. doi: 10.1517/14740330802527984 .
Amoxicillin and amoxicillin plus clavulanate: a safety review.
Salvo F(1), De Sarro A, Caputi AP, Polimeni G.
(1)Department of Clinical and Experimental Medicine and Pharmacology, University
of Messina, Messina, Italy. [email protected]
Despite the considerable number of newer antibacterials made available over the
past decades, amoxicillin, alone or in combination with clavulanic acid, still
accounts among the most widely used antibacterial agents. Although they are often
considered 'twin drugs', they are different both in terms of antibacterial
activities and of safety profile. It is well documented that the clavulanate
component may cause adverse reactions by itself, thus exposing patients to
further, and sometimes undue, risks. Although amoxicillin/clavulanate should be
considered as an alternative agent only for the treatment of resistant bacteria,
evidence shows that it is often used also when a narrow-spectrum antibiotic would
have been just as effective. This prescription habit may have serious
consequences in terms of patients' safety, as well as in terms of the development
of bacterial resistance.

golder

@TheBeard i know you quite liked Augmentin. Did you find amoxicillin without the clavulanic acid just as effective?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals