How Long Did It Take You To Understand Peat's Work

johnwester130

To understand the way of thinking, the ideas, the methods.

Took me about 1 year of constant reading.

Pet Peeve

I'm always learning new stuff, it's getting close to a year now. New layers appear all the time.

DaveFoster

About a month, but eventually you get to the point where you realize that Peat himself doesn't take his own research too seriously.

He still puts cream in his coffee and eats chicharrones occasionally.

Stramonium

I had to research on my own about basic anatomy and physiology to be able to grasp some of his ideas and terminology. I think it's been a year since I started reading him on and off and I still find myself discovering new things everyday. If something Ray Peat made me incredibly aware of things in my body I never paid much attention to.

daIllu

Been trying to understand it since 2013, really hardcore 2015-2016, I'm more confused than ever though, I honestly have to basically give up because my memory is not good enough, I keep forgetting words, no idea how people do it.

I mean when it comes to food I know all the stuff he recommends and some of the hormones he wants to keep low or high but it's all memorized stuff, there's no explanation on why pufa is bad that I could ever understand really.
Like pufa oxidises fast so it's bad but then again fruits oxidise, isn't that just part of the breakup process of food, if food doesn't oxidize it would be like those mcd fries that never go bad. Funny the mcd fries are high pufa also but maybe it's the salt that makes them not go bad, again I can't see any evidence to understand any of his claims it's just impossible for me. Like maybe there is evidence but I can't grasp it really, but then again I can't grasp how a lightbulb works either, not all human beings have evolved the same way intellectually.
Maybe this is why he says he doens't want anyone to follow him because maybe he understands some bigger picture that people are just so different. Like if I try to speak to a kinese about something I don't understand a word, now I could try to live there and learn their language but they have been using and writing their language since they were born so I would never learn it on the level like they do and maybe end up misunderstanding everything.

Only thing that seems to make sense to me is starch being bad because it sticks to everything, it sticks to your teeth and makes everything else like sugar stick there too so could cause dental problems. Maybe it clogs you up also, but yea this is a simplistic way, I can't understand the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, hormones interractions. Like I can also understand that sugar and salt exist because I can taste them and I can kinda understand where they come from in nature, vitamin C though I'm not sure what that is, it's claimed to be in some food like oranges. Like ok I get it Oranges, it's that Orange colored fruit but I don't understand how vitamin C would be defined, how does anyone know anything it does in the body? I think it's sour though, so it's a flavour maybe, does the human body only need flavours like salt sugar and sour to be healthy? Is it the flavour, is it placebo? Is it just an experience? Does it improve health because of the experience or some other mechanism?

Like Ray doesn't deny the importance of the experience either from what I've uderstood because he has mentioned doing something stimulating and that could affect health also, so in the end is diet even important and are looking into all these hormonal actions important if you can't even understand them? Like I have learned something about myself, like I should know best about myself since I spend all the time with myself all the time. So if I know my weakness and I know I can't currently in any way in my situation improve upon that then I should go in the direction where I can improve, that which I can understand. Yet I'm posting on a forum hoping for guidance most likely, or maybe I'm just writing this for myself and in writing this I already found the answer?

Been trying to understand it since 2013, really hardcore 2015-2016, I'm more confused than ever though, I honestly have to basically give up because my memory is not good enough, I keep forgetting words, no idea how people do it.

I mean when it comes to food I know all the stuff he recommends and some of the hormones he wants to keep low or high but it's all memorized stuff, there's no explanation on why pufa is bad that I could ever understand really.
Like pufa oxidises fast so it's bad but then again fruits oxidise, isn't that just part of the breakup process of food, if food doesn't oxidize it would be like those mcd fries that never go bad. Funny the mcd fries are high pufa also but maybe it's the salt that makes them not go bad, again I can't see any evidence to understand any of his claims it's just impossible for me. Like maybe there is evidence but I can't grasp it really, but then again I can't grasp how a lightbulb works either, not all human beings have evolved the same way intellectually.
Maybe this is why he says he doens't want anyone to follow him because maybe he understands some bigger picture that people are just so different. Like if I try to speak to a kinese about something I don't understand a word, now I could try to live there and learn their language but they have been using and writing their language since they were born so I would never learn it on the level like they do and maybe end up misunderstanding everything.

Only thing that seems to make sense to me is starch being bad because it sticks to everything, it sticks to your teeth and makes everything else like sugar stick there too so could cause dental problems. Maybe it clogs you up also, but yea this is a simplistic way, I can't understand the vitamins, minerals, enzymes, hormones interractions. Like I can also understand that sugar and salt exist because I can taste them and I can kinda understand where they come from in nature, vitamin C though I'm not sure what that is, it's claimed to be in some food like oranges. Like ok I get it Oranges, it's that Orange colored fruit but I don't understand how vitamin C would be defined, how does anyone know anything it does in the body? I think it's sour though, so it's a flavour maybe, does the human body only need flavours like salt sugar and sour to be healthy? Is it the flavour, is it placebo? Is it just an experience? Does it improve health because of the experience or some other mechanism?

Like Ray doesn't deny the importance of the experience either from what I've uderstood because he has mentioned doing something stimulating and that could affect health also, so in the end is diet even important and are looking into all these hormonal actions important if you can't even understand them? Like I have learned something about myself, like I should know best about myself since I spend all the time with myself all the time. So if I know my weakness and I know I can't currently in any way in my situation improve upon that then I should go in the direction where I can improve, that which I can understand. Yet I'm posting on a forum hoping for guidance most likely, or maybe I'm just writing this for myself and in writing this I already found the answer?

I identify my self with you. Since I didn't finish reading all Ray Peat's articles, I still don't really understand the main principles of his ideas.

I noticed that you have difficulties understanding how the body works and what some terminologies (such as vitamin C) really mean. I think if you study biochemistry, it will be more easily understandable. I also should learn more about biochemistry, and hormones, and vitamins, and minerals, and how they interact and regulate the human body.

Relating to sugar and polyunsaturated fats oxidation; that fat can be easily oxidizable, but upon oxidation they, differently from sugar, create free radicals because they are very unstable and very dangerously reactive to oxygen.

Last edited:

BobbyDukes

You are just way over thinking all of it. I'm also confused myself by how you say that you understand hardly any of it, but you understand his stance on starch, because of how it 'sticks to things'? Out of all his work, I would say starch is one of the most confusing bits (like, he says it clogs arteries.. but that doesn't reflect what I see in the world, with groups of people eating starch as their staple, and living long healthy lives with low rates of obesity, cancer, heart disease, diebetes, etc).

Do you have scientific evidence to show that a French fry doesn't degrade? Have there been controlled experiments? Anecdotally, I noticed this from a pot noodle (years ago, when they were my staple). But it would start to smell after a while, so it would actually start to degrade eventually (although, not as drastically as other things). I don't see how a greasy soggy French fry would be any different. Also, you're concentrating on PUFA. I'm pretty sure low PUFA type foods also rapidly degrade, as well (vegetables... Anything really, when u think about it).

With the vitamin C, just take a breath. Why do you need assurances that the oranges contain it? Why do you need to taste it? Ok. This is going to really mess you up. You realise that some meats contain vitamin C, as well? Chocolate also contains it. So do Brussel sprouts. Is there a pattern here (taste wise)? Nope.

If you had scurvy, you would definitely know about it. I have mostly drank store purchased OJ over the years, and I am not displaying any scurvy symptoms yet.

In terms of taste/cravings being a guide, that can be useful. If you're body wants to eat a punnet of grapes (seriously craving it), then kinda go with it. It's craving it for a reason. I don't like grapes myself, but as long as the craving isn't destructive (high PUFA, man made chemicals/additives). If you are craving something naughty, then you may be craving the dopaminergic hit, or you may just need the calories at that moment in time, or you may be after both. Who knows. Learning about your own body is tough. You just got to always watch out for things, and assess (continuously ongoing). I have found over the years, I have become more intuitive, without even realising I am even doing it, most of the time. But then, lowering PUFA/increasing the metabolic rate has had beneficial effects on my cognitive function, so maybe I am biased.

In terms of 'following him', Ray answers emails daily, but has always stated there is no diet, and that everyone should eat to increase their metabolic rate. Everyone existing in their own different context. So you're essentially your own Dr. It's not ideal, but what else can the poor guy do? The sheer amount of information/text he's shared over the decades shows that he wants to help people. I know it's harsh, and difficult, but the rest is up to you. That's why this forum is great, because people help each other.

As for the stimulating life part, you are right on that one. I don't think it can be underestimated the impact that actually being happy can have on your health. Eating correctly is just a way of enhancing that even further.

I hope this helps. Well. That was my attempt at helping.

Last edited:

aquaman

It's not a binary thing. As your knowledge, experience and experimentation increases your understanding will increase and change. Your body also changes with age so certain parts will become more relevant as you get older.

For starters it would take years and years just to consume all the material Ray has put out, and then about 50 years to read the studies he references.

It should be a lifetime, fun thing.

Ray's what? 79? And it was only a year ago he started to understand the benefits of mushrooms!

OP
johnwester130

johnwester130

I believed peating was all about reduction-ism

diet was about the type of fat, type of sugar, and type of protein you ate

you were either moved towards stress hormones,
or youthful hormones

anti-metabolic diet
or pro metabolic diet

pro metabolic lifestyle
or anti-metabolic lifestyle

pro metabolic supplements