How Important Is It To Drink Organic Milk?

ilovethesea

All the milk here is pasteurized and has vitamins added, so I was wondering if it really matters if I choose organic or regular?

(I know the lower fat milks have vitamin A & D added whereas whole milk just has D... but I've gained so much weight on this diet that I don't want to drink all that whole milk just to avoid one vitamin.)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've ended up eating more cheese and drinking less milk just because after a few days the vitamins get to me. The only milk I can get without added vitamins is whole, organic and grass fed in a glass bottle. If I didn't have the problem with the added vitamins I'd probably drink skim personally. You should just experiment and see how you tolerate the lower fat with added vitamins. It seems like many people do fine with that. I'm pretty sure most of the nastiness is concentrated in the fat anyway. Obviously getting the best quality you can is important too so you may just have to weigh out the pros and cons after a fair trial of the lower fat milk. I'm going to try for low fat or skim again in a few months to see if I tolerate it better at that time.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
When I could get farm milk I would, prices got too much for me so switched to store organic. I then switched to the store cheapest brand, all of this 1% milk btw. As far as I can tell, I do fine on all 3. So I have decided to stay with the store cheap brand.

OP
I

ilovethesea

Blossom said:
I've ended up eating more cheese and drinking less milk just because after a few days the vitamins get to me. The only milk I can get without added vitamins is whole, organic and grass fed in a glass bottle. If I didn't have the problem with the added vitamins I'd probably drink skim personally. You should just experiment and see how you tolerate the lower fat with added vitamins. It seems like many people do fine with that. I'm pretty sure most of the nastiness is concentrated in the fat anyway. Obviously getting the best quality you can is important too so you may just have to weigh out the pros and cons after a fair trial of the lower fat milk. I'm going to try for low fat or skim again in a few months to see if I tolerate it better at that time.

How can you tell you don't tolerate the vitamins? What symptoms do you get?

I do prefer cheese to milk, but wanted to switch to milk because of the fat. I am sure that's to blame for my weight gain. How much cheese do you eat per day and what kind?

OP
I

ilovethesea

Charlie said:
When I could get farm milk I would, prices got too much for me so switched to store organic. I then switched to the store cheapest brand, all of this 1% milk btw. As far as I can tell, I do fine on all 3. So I have decided to stay with the store cheap brand.

Yes organic is 3x the price here so just drinking the cheap stuff would be nice if it doesn't really matter...

I don't think you have this in the US but here in Canada we actually have milk sold in plastic bags. It's so much cheaper than the cartons... I've been buying them but I guess the plastic isn't such a great idea.

J

j.

ilovethesea said:
I've been buying them but I guess the plastic isn't such a great idea.

If you're not sensitive to the degree that it makes it disgusting, maybe it isn't too bad. I can't drink it because I can taste when the milk is from plastic. When I make farmer's cheese, I think the estrogenic plastic compounds go with the whey so I can avoid them, and I eat the curds without a problem.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
ilovethesea said:
I am not noticing any kind of stomach upset or anything like that. No stress response, etc. Milk, sugar, and a few shakes salt is an energy blaster for me.

himsahimsa

ONLY Drink Organic Milk

Of all the things that you can get organic or not, dairy, all dairy, is the most important. All the pesticides, which are many and cumulative and persistent and estrogenic, become concentrated in the milk. All of the added hormones and antibiotics end up in the milk. If you are going to make dairy an important part of your diet, unless it's organic, it will harm you. You will be eating large amounts of the very things that you are trying to save yourself from by following Ray Peat's ideas.

Charlie, Is that a marmot?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Good point but from what I am seeing there is no true "organic" cows. Even the small farm that claimed to be super awesome grass fed etc etc, they fed their cattle grains and stuff when they came in to milk. She said another small farm did the same thing near them. If I could afford it yeh I would probably stick with raw milk. Store bought is the best I can do right now.

himsahimsa

Raw can be organic if the farmer did not treat the pasture with pesticides or feed the cows supplemental feeds which contained them. Raw milk is not safe if the farmer treats his pasture with organophosphates. Grain fed or not grain fed has nothing to do with being organic except that the feed itself must be organically grown/processed. Organic certifies freedom from organophosphate and added synthetic growth hormone, at a minimum.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
ilovethesea said:
Blossom said:

I do prefer cheese to milk, but wanted to switch to milk because of the fat. I am sure that's to blame for my weight gain. How much cheese do you eat per day and what kind?
After a few days drinking my husband's conventional 2% milk I started having major IBS symptoms like cramping and diarrhea. I was so excited at first but then it seemed to hit me at once so I just switched back to the no added vitamin milk for now. The problem is that it's 20 U.S. dollars a gallon so I just drink about 1 cup per day and get the rest of my calcium from the parm with no enzymes and Perino Romano cheeses. They are both just milk,salt and animal rennet as the ingredients. I'm going to retry the more affordable lower fat milk soon. That incident happened in the depths of winter when I was at a different point in my healing so with spring coming and improved health I'm hoping for the best!

J

j.

I would just follow Peat's advice on milk: "Drink a milk that tastes good"

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
j. said:
I would just follow Peat's advice on milk: "Drink a milk that tastes good"
And one that can be tolerated.

D

Deleted member 5487

ONLY Drink Organic Milk

Of all the things that you can get organic or not, dairy, all dairy, is the most important. All the pesticides, which are many and cumulative and persistent and estrogenic, become concentrated in the milk. All of the added hormones and antibiotics end up in the milk. If you are going to make dairy an important part of your diet, unless it's organic, it will harm you. You will be eating large amounts of the very things that you are trying to save yourself from by following Ray Peat's ideas.

Charlie, Is that a marmot?

Will agree. I have been cheap and drinking costco milk, only to find it makes me itch and sneeze now. Chalky and bland.

Some fat free horizon organic milk literally taste like melted ice cream. You can taste the lactose.