How Important Is Calcium In Relative To Phosphorus?

pepzorpdorp

So far on the peat diet, most of the things seems okay. I feel somewhat better and I sure as hell enjoy the ice cream. But this aspect is something I have had second thoughts about. I just find it unsustainable to drink milk instead of meat. I try to do this as much as possible, and I am giving it my best, but how important is it really? And have you had any benefit from more calcium?

Ray thinks it's super important. I have done research on it. Calcium should be equal or greater than phosphorous intake. You can take eggshell calcium if you want.

schultz

I don't have an answer but I would love to know it. Have there been studies any studies directly comparing a high phosphorus diet to an "ideal ratio" diet?

The last time I was rearching calcium : phosphorus ratios on pubmed, which was a few years ago now, it did seem apparent when reading the various papers that the ratio is important. Researchers sort of talked about it like it was common knowledge. They sometimes do this. I'm not sure whether they actually think it is common knowledge - or at least well known in the research world - or if it's simply a writing style. Anyway, it's pretty interesting sometimes because they will behave as if everybody already knows about something even if it's counter to popular belief like PUFA being damaging.

Just search "calcium phosphorus ratio" in pubmed and you'll find a lot of articles talking about it.

I just searched it and found this abstract.

"It is important to consider whether habitual high phosphorus intake adversely affects bone health, because phosphorus intake has been increasing, whereas calcium intake has been decreasing in dietary patterns. A higher total habitual dietary phosphorus intake has been associated with higher serum parathyroid hormone (PTH) and lower serum calcium concentrations in healthy individuals. Higher serum PTH concentrations have been shown in those who consume foods with phosphorus additives. These findings suggest that long-term dietary phosphorus loads and long-term hyperphosphatemia may have important negative effects on bone health. In contrast, PTH concentrations did not increase as a result of high dietary phosphorus intake when phosphorus was provided with adequate amounts of calcium. Intake of foods with a ratio of calcium to phosphorus close to that found in dairy products led to positive effects on bone health."

Low calcium : phosphorus ratio in habitual diets affects serum parathyroid
hormone concentration and calcium metabolism in healthy women with
adequate calcium intake
http://journals.cambridge.org/download.php?file=/BJN/BJN103_04/S0007114509992121a.pdf&code=78fa7ac33ee0d95e08c095f29250a990

Phosphorus content of common foods
http://www.pittsburgh.va.gov/Dialysis/docs/PhosphorusContentinFoods.pdf

Calcium content of common foods
Calcium content of common foods | International Osteoporosis Foundation

Role of Parathyroid Hormone in the Glucose Intolerance
of Chronic Renal Failure
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC423657/pdf/jcinvest00120-0271.pdf

Elevated Phosphate Activates N-ras and Promotes Cell Transformation and Skin Tumorigenesis
Elevated Phosphate Activates N-ras and Promotes Cell Transformation and Skin Tumorigenesis | Cancer Prevention Research

A calcium-deficient diet caused decreased bone mineral density and secondary elevation of estrogen in aged male rats-effect of menatetrenone and elcatonin
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12370839

Hyperparathyroidism Symptoms - Mayo Clinic

Testosterone inhibits osteoclast formation stimulated by parathyroid hormone through androgen receptor
Testosterone inhibits osteoclast formation stimulated by parathyroid hormone through androgen receptor - Chen - 2001 - FEBS Letters - Wiley Online Library

Last edited by a moderator:

paymanz

You can take a calcium supplement with meat.

The meat that we eat is drained by bleeding after slaughter, with blood all sodium and calcium are washed away from animals flesh.that is why meat has bad ratio.carnivore animals eat unbled meat that has some calcium to balance it.

In nature I think most of animals diet are well balanced with ca to p ratio of more than 1.