How Important Is Alkaline/Acid Balance

cyclops

I am thinking about adding green vegetables to my lunch everyday like some well cooked spinach or broccoli. It just feels right. I usually eat meat or fish once a day and including some cooked vegetables feels welcomed. Maybe its because I need more alkalinity in my diet? Does Peat ever talk about this?

DuggaDugga

People over-think the acid/alkalinity thing. It's super tightly regulated by the body, so I doubt that any whole, organic food is going to make a significant impact one way or the other.
Regarding Ray's opinion, I seem to recall that he thinks cancerous cells are actually alkaline rather than acidic. I haven't thought much on it so I'll stop there and link to the KMUD interview on the topic:

lampofred

How is everything he says literally always the opposite of what everyone else says...

DuggaDugga

How is everything he says literally always the opposite of what everyone else says...

Because most individuals subscribe to whatever mainstream science is feeding them while Ray and most other "rogue scientists" realize that science has been wrong in the past and it's in our collective best interest to continue to question our own beliefs in addition to others'.

If you were being rhetorical, then I agree with your sentiment.

biffbelvin

I've noticed that when people are talking about acid/alkaline diets and making suggestions to reduce acidity, their suggestions seem to be parallel with guidance regarding the calcium:phosphate ratio.

For example, I've seen a lot of vegans argue that eating too much meat is acid-forming and you end up dissolving your own bones. The reasoning is completely wrong, but they're conclusion is sort of correct.

The body tries to maintain a 1:1 calcium to phosphorus in the blood at all time. Sirloin Steak has an 1:11 calcium to phosphorus ratio. When the high levels of phosphorus enter your blood stream, your body will release PTH to leech calcium from your bones and keep the levels balanced.

So the guys above are technically right, but for the wrong reason. One doesn't need to exclude meat or other phosphorus rich foods from their diet, they just need to eat them in combination with high-calcium foods.

I wouldn't stress about getting ratios down to 1:1 either, digestion is a fickle thing after all.

Last edited:
OP
cyclops

cyclops

The body tries to maintain a 1:1 calcium to phosphorus in the blood at all time. Sirloin Steak has an 11:1 calcium to phosphorus ratio. When the high levels of phosphorus enter your blood stream, your body will release PTH to leech calcium from your bones and keep the levels balanced.

Thanks, good info. I think you meant to write that Sirloin steak has a 1:11 calcium to phosphorus ratio. Do you think the way Raymond Peat eats lends itself to a 1:1 ratio or acceptable ratio?

biffbelvin

Thanks, good info. I think you meant to write that Sirloin steak has a 1:11 calcium to phosphorus ratio. Do you think the way Raymond Peat eats lends itself to a 1:1 ratio or acceptable ratio?

Haha, yes that is absolutely correct.

I don't know how Raymond Peat himself eats. The diet that people here have formulated from bits of his advice is definitely favourable though. The large amount of milk should help maintain a 1:1 ratio though.

I don't endeavour to meet a 1:1 ratio, nor do i have a particularly peaty diet, but i do try to offset high phosphorus meals somewhat, as below:
  • Red meat restricted and eaten with green vegetables, yoghurt/milk/coffee for desert
  • Grains eaten with dairy
  • Supplement vitamins A,D,E&K with high calcium meals
As a bonus, calcium can also compete with iron in food.

In terms of results from the above, my front teeth are noticeably more opaque. I also feel more satiated after meals and generally better, but to be honest there are numerous other supplements/lifestyle factors that contribute to the latter.

biffbelvin

vitamin K regulates calcium metabolism and helps prevent it from being deposited in soft tissue. As far as i understand Vitamin D is synergistic with Vitamin K/Calcium. Vitamins A&E come with the supplement i take.

SamYo123

I've noticed that when people are talking about acid/alkaline diets and making suggestions to reduce acidity, their suggestions seem to be parallel with guidance regarding the calcium:phosphate ratio.

For example, I've seen a lot of vegans argue that eating too much meat is acid-forming and you end up dissolving your own bones. The reasoning is completely wrong, but they're conclusion is sort of correct.

The body tries to maintain a 1:1 calcium to phosphorus in the blood at all time. Sirloin Steak has an 1:11 calcium to phosphorus ratio. When the high levels of phosphorus enter your blood stream, your body will release PTH to leech calcium from your bones and keep the levels balanced.

So the guys above are technically right, but for the wrong reason. One doesn't need to exclude meat or other phosphorus rich foods from their diet, they just need to eat them in combination with high-calcium foods.

I wouldn't stress about getting ratios down to 1:1 either, digestion is a fickle thing after all.
so what about those who dont eat diary and a high starch diet that have fine bones later in age?

Read the description

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lHU2jZsbv8

FrostedShores

I fell for the alkaline/acid balance argument, and I ended up consuming a massive amount of apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, and sodium bicarbonate. Not sure if it made my body any more alkaline, but it did screw up my digestion...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals