How I overcame lactose intolerance

I'm pretty much over lactose intolerance. I had two big glasses of milk today.

I used to drink milk as a kid but didn't for decades, and when I started I couldn't tolerate lactose.

I tried a few times to get over it but couldn't.

This time I cultured my own kefir, and started using small quantities of regular milk. I think the kefir helps handle changes in the gut bacteria that may be temporarily unfavorable, or perhaps it quells inflammation.

I started increasing the regular milk and now I'm on regular milk and handling it fine. I have had 2 glasses today, and yesterday about 2 glasses, and before I wouldn't have been able to tolerate half a glass without diarrhea and gas and stomach upset.

The only other thing I'm doing is taking a good thyroid regimen that gets me up to 98.6 or 99 by the afternoon, and the last time I tried getting off of the LF milk, I was doing only T3 and it wasn't as effective. That could have something to do with it.

I'm thrilled.

Jib

I read a study recently where they allegedly created kefir grains by inoculating milk with some bacteria colony from sheep intestines. It's known that the probiotics in kefir actually colonize the intestinal tract instead of merely passing through.

I mostly drink only kefir these days, but recently had a couple glasses of milk at a friend's house and had no apparent issues even for the rest of the day. Makes me wonder if kefir may have lasting positive effects on the gut's ability to digest milk. Seems to be corroborated here with your post. Awesome!

OP
ecstatichamster
I read a study recently where they allegedly created kefir grains by inoculating milk with some bacteria colony from sheep intestines. It's known that the probiotics in kefir actually colonize the intestinal tract instead of merely passing through.

I mostly drink only kefir these days, but recently had a couple glasses of milk at a friend's house and had no apparent issues even for the rest of the day. Makes me wonder if kefir may have lasting positive effects on the gut's ability to digest milk. Seems to be corroborated here with your post. Awesome!

yes thank you as I got the kefir idea from you!

Vileplume

I'm pretty much over lactose intolerance. I had two big glasses of milk today.

I used to drink milk as a kid but didn't for decades, and when I started I couldn't tolerate lactose.

I tried a few times to get over it but couldn't.

This time I cultured my own kefir, and started using small quantities of regular milk. I think the kefir helps handle changes in the gut bacteria that may be temporarily unfavorable, or perhaps it quells inflammation.

I started increasing the regular milk and now I'm on regular milk and handling it fine. I have had 2 glasses today, and yesterday about 2 glasses, and before I wouldn't have been able to tolerate half a glass without diarrhea and gas and stomach upset.

The only other thing I'm doing is taking a good thyroid regimen that gets me up to 98.6 or 99 by the afternoon, and the last time I tried getting off of the LF milk, I was doing only T3 and it wasn't as effective. That could have something to do with it.

I'm thrilled.

Do you use regular pasteurized store bought milk for the kefir? I am just beginning my kefir journey too.

TheSir

Do you use regular pasteurized store bought milk for the kefir? I am just beginning my kefir journey too.
Interested in hearing the answer to this too. Though unsure why, I've always had the impression that only raw milk can be used.

qwazy

That's great. What kind of kefir grains are you using and what is your Buteyko morning control pause (I though most intolerances go away at MCP>60s)?

bogbody

this is great congrats. i drank a ton of milk growing up but was vegan for about 7 years and developed lactose intolerance during that time. i would get extreme stomach cramping with even a tiny bit of butter. i’m finally doing pretty ok with it after adding it back in very slowly but will try adding in more kefir to see if it helps even more.

OP
ecstatichamster
I don't do formal Buteyko exercises anymore. My waking CP is in the low 30s.

I'm not using kefir anymore. I think it was a bridge for maybe 5 days that has helped me. I am increasing the amount of regular milk I'm drinking and it's been fine without the kefir.

Flash

I'm thrilled.
Great to hear you got your milk tolerance back. I'm about to give Kefir a try to achieve the same, but I know my thyroid regimen needs to be in check. If possible can you please share what the rest of your regimen looks like?

OP
ecstatichamster
it's about 50% back actually. I'm drinking both LF and regular milk. I think it's improving.

Inaut

I wonder if drinking a small amount of kefir with milk (or after) will quicker expedite the process ? I've been ingesting more kefir lately and typically following it with milk

P

Peatness

Has anyone notice that lactase tables acts like a calcium channel blocker? When I take one my scalps starts releasing, the same happens in my spine. It feels exactly like when I take cyproheptadine which is also a mild calcium channel blocker. I have been drinking milk for 4 years yet I believe I am still lactose intolerant.