How Hot Peppers And Marijuana Could Help Cure Gut Problems

"Srivastava’s recent study in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences suggests we may be one step closer to finding a cure. He found that anandamide, a chemical that the body makes naturally and that is very similar to chemicals found in marijuana, helps calm down the immune system—at least in the guts of mice. If his studies hold up in humans, he says it could eventually lead to a cure for ulcerative colitis."

"Nobody knows whether anandamide actually induces a sense of bliss, but mice fed anandamide experienced the same healing effects—stretching from the esophagus down through the stomach—as mice fed capsaicin. Srivastava also discovered that when he gave mice capsaicin, it seemed to stimulate their bodies' production of anandamide."

Effect of red pepper on symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome: preliminary study.
"CONCLUSIONS:
The results of this preliminary study indicate that the chronic administration of red pepper powder in IBS patients with enteric-coated pills was significantly more effective than placebo in decreasing the intensity of abdominal pain and bloating and was considered by the patients more effective than placebo."

Other Foods That May Increase Anandamide
"Besides chocolate and truffles, there are a handful of other foods that contain compounds that increase the amount or activity of anandamide. (33)
Both common black pepper (Piper nigrum) and its hotter cousin long pepper (Piper longum) contain a compound called guineensine that increases the activity of anandamide.
Kaempferol is a type of flavonoid that inhibits the production of FAAH, the enzyme that breaks down anandamide. (34)
So by eating more foods that contain kaempferol, you can increase your net level of anandamide.
Foods that contain kaempferol include:
  • Fruits — apples, blackberries, grapes, peaches, raspberries
  • Vegetables — broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cucumbers, endive, green beans, lettuce, potatoes, spinach, squash, tomatoes
It’s also found in green tea."

Last edited:

B-styles

Interesting find. So that would be the opposite of what we've been told about hot peppers and the gut; that it irritates the intestines. Funny how the Mayans use to mix cacao and hot peppers together.

SOMO

Interesting find. So that would be the opposite of what we've been told about hot peppers and the gut; that it irritates the intestines. Funny how the Mayans use to mix cacao and hot peppers together.

No, Capsaicin is still bad and there's a good chance is causes gastric cancer.

I would read the study a little closer, they study authors are not saying that Capsaicin improved IBS or that it healed anything.

They're simply talking about PAIN - Capsaicin has long known to be an analgesic/painkiller because it DUMPS all the Substance P in cells. This "dumping" is akin to throwing everything out in your house to "clean" it. But what about all the family photo albums and the food in the fridge?

"The results of this preliminary study indicate that the chronic administration of red pepper powder in IBS patients with enteric-coated pills was significantly more effective than placebo in decreasing the intensity of abdominal pain and bloating and was considered by the patients more effective than placebo."

Decreasing abdominal pain in this case = NERVE DE-SENSITIZATION (which capsaicin is verified to do.)
I'm pretty sure Capsaicin is acting by destroying the nerves in the intestinal tract or changing their threshold for pain. I think if you swallowed glass after taking capsaicin, you might not feel it cutting up your insides and may delay medical attention.

I love spicy peppers, but limit them and make sure to eat it as part of a "heavy" meal (meat, fat, and carbohydrate) to dilute the effects. There's no way Capsaicin is "healthy" to take orally, I mean anyone that's ever eaten a spicy pepper should know that the plant is literally trying to harm you.

Cannabis > Capsaicin

OP
General Orange
No, Capsaicin is still bad and there's a good chance is causes gastric cancer.

I would read the study a little closer, they study authors are not saying that Capsaicin improved IBS or that it healed anything.

They're simply talking about PAIN - Capsaicin has long known to be an analgesic/painkiller because it DUMPS all the Substance P in cells. This "dumping" is akin to throwing everything out in your house to "clean" it. But what about all the family photo albums and the food in the fridge?

"The results of this preliminary study indicate that the chronic administration of red pepper powder in IBS patients with enteric-coated pills was significantly more effective than placebo in decreasing the intensity of abdominal pain and bloating and was considered by the patients more effective than placebo."

Decreasing abdominal pain in this case = NERVE DE-SENSITIZATION (which capsaicin is verified to do.)
I'm pretty sure Capsaicin is acting by destroying the nerves in the intestinal tract or changing their threshold for pain. I think if you swallowed glass after taking capsaicin, you might not feel it cutting up your insides and may delay medical attention.

I love spicy peppers, but limit them and make sure to eat it as part of a "heavy" meal (meat, fat, and carbohydrate) to dilute the effects. There's no way Capsaicin is "healthy" to take orally, I mean anyone that's ever eaten a spicy pepper should know that the plant is literally trying to harm you.

Cannabis > Capsaicin

Anandamide is triggered after activating the TRPV1 receptors and that is healing it. Anandamide and vanilloid TRPV1 receptors

CAPSAICIN

Capsaicin achieves its pain-relieving effect by reversibly depleting sensory nerve endings of substance P and by reducing the density of epidermal nerve fibers, again in a reversible fashion.Capsaicin - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

OP
General Orange
Capsaicin may have important potential for promoting vascular and metabolic health
"The increased expression of UCP2 induced by TRPV1 activation exerts a protective antioxidant effect on the liver in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and on vascular endothelium in the context of hyperglycaemia. In rodent studies, capsaicin-rich diets have shown favorable effects on atherosclerosis, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, obesity, non-alcoholic fatty liver, cardiac hypertrophy, hypertension and stroke risk."

"Clinically, ingestion of capsaicin—or its less stable non-pungent analogue capsiate—has been shown to boost metabolic rate modestly."Review: Capsaicin may have important potential for promoting vascular and metabolic health

SOMO

Capsaicin may have important potential for promoting vascular and metabolic health
"The increased expression of UCP2 induced by TRPV1 activation exerts a protective antioxidant effect on the liver in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease, and on vascular endothelium in the context of hyperglycaemia. In rodent studies, capsaicin-rich diets have shown favorable effects on atherosclerosis, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, obesity, non-alcoholic fatty liver, cardiac hypertrophy, hypertension and stroke risk."

"Clinically, ingestion of capsaicin—or its less stable non-pungent analogue capsiate—has been shown to boost metabolic rate modestly."Review: Capsaicin may have important potential for promoting vascular and metabolic health

Yes, it's true that Capsaicin increases EE.

At the cost of mucosal damage/irritation, nerve issues and other stuff. I think if your gut is in perfect health, you can possibly benefit from capsaicin. But for the average person, it could be doing damaging.

By all means, enjoy spicy food, I do.

OP
General Orange
Yes, it's true that Capsaicin increases EE.

At the cost of mucosal damage/irritation, nerve issues and other stuff. I think if your gut is in perfect health, you can possibly benefit from capsaicin. But for the average person, it could be doing damaging.

By all means, enjoy spicy food, I do.

You claim that it "it could be doing damaging", but a lot of food damages it a little, that is how it works, intestinal mucosa has the ability to repair itself rapidly, the same day. Unless it is compromised by toxins and constant inflammation.

Were is this proof that capsaicin is a real continuing problem?

"If your gut is in perfect health..."
So you say the average person does not have a healthy gut. So does that imply that only an athlete should have a super healthy gut? makes no sense.