How Fast Do B Vitamins Deteriorate In Water?

tara

Hi,
I'm just starting to supplement more individual B vitamin powders - B1, B2, B6 in addition to niacinamide that I have been using for months. It is time consuming to measure out each serving of each supplement a couple of times a day, but I want to be able to vary as I go, too.

My measuring spoons are good enough for measuring a weekly amount of B6, but not a daily dose. This week I've measured my B6 for the week (~50mg) into a glass bottle, added clean water, and add an approximately equal dose of this to a glass of OJ a couple of times a day. It would be convenient if I could mix all my B vitamins for a week into one bottle, and use that to dose. Would they still be good the second day? By the end of the week? What if I mix it into my whole day's OJ - would the OJ degrade them over a few hours before I drink the last of the bottle?

I've read procedures for mixing powders with eg powdered sugar and encapsulating them. I have capsules. I'm looking for a quicker and more flexible method. I know Haidut's mixture uses ethanol (modified?). Is this a necessary ingredient if I only want it to keep for about a week?

OP
T

tara

Looks like some of the should be kept in the dark (which I can do), even if they are not kept dry.

DesertRat

I know it's been 2 years, but did you ever get an answer Tara? I want to do the same, as measuring out every day leaves me open to forgetting things and making mistakes (as happened last night when I mistook something and took 1/8 rather than 1/32 of it and didn't sleep).

I tried Energin but found it hard to take enough (lack of exposed skin in winter) and didn't like the yellow stains dripping onto things. Plus, I was still measuring out B1 and B3 TID.

I was wondering if adding in some grain alcohol to the water would stabilize the mix. Or, if vigorously stirring and shaking the premixed powders before taking a scoop would be close enough to a balanced dose even if not accurate enough for a vitamin manufacturer?

OP
T

tara

OP
T

tara