How exactly to test thyroid at home?

How exacly to test tyroid at home?

Votes: 2 100.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IT'S OVER

I heard that i need to test bpm and body temp, but:

what times of the day should i test?
what its the ideal numbers for bpm and temp?
if i i have to test before and after breakfast, how many minutes after exactly?

i have heard about it in some livestreans of Ray Peat but i did not understand clearly the steps, and at the time i didn't have a thermomether ( now i have)
if there is a tread explaning this can some one link me?
I have done some blood works this year, requested by the doctor because of my mental illness. And the result of thyroid test was this :

T4 free: 0,95 ng/dL reference value :0,85 to 1,47 ng/dL
TSH: 1,85 yUI/mL reference value : 0,270 to 4,20 yUI/mL
(i have no ideia if its good or not)
And in case its not good can explain me the right way to supplements it? if i need a prescription for get it or not? and how long it takes to see if its making a difference or not?

THANKS!

Vileplume

The body temperature method was refined and popularized by Broda Barnes.

Take temperature:
Right after waking (ideally in bed), in armpit or oral for ten minutes or rectal for 2 minutes. This is called the “basal temperature” because it’s at total rest, right after you’ve woken before much movement or eating.

-Morning oral/armpit temp goal: 97.8-98.2
Rectal: 98.8-99.2

-About thirty minutes after lunch, same procedure.
Goal: 98.6 (or 99.6 rectal)

Those are the two I’d focus on.

For pulse, around 65-70 bpm upon waking and around 75 bpm mid-day resting is ideal.

:rockout

xeliex

Forum Supporter
The body temperature method was refined and popularized by Broda Barnes.

Take temperature:
Right after waking (ideally in bed), in armpit or oral for ten minutes or rectal for 2 minutes. This is called the “basal temperature” because it’s at total rest, right after you’ve woken before much movement or eating.

Those are the two I’d focus on.

For pulse, around 65-70 bpm upon waking and around 75 bpm mid-day resting is ideal.

:rockout
Good post, thank you.

I think Ray Peat likes the pulse a bit higher.

My daytime temps normalize whenever I take thyroid, but my morning temps and pulses remain low even after years of supplementing. If I raise them dose more than 4 grains, I get nervousness but morning temps stuck at 96.8 axillary.

On another note, I've been using everlywell.com monthly for checking thyroid. I cross checked it with labcorp and they seemed very close.

Beastmode

Good post, thank you.

I think Ray Peat likes the pulse a bit higher.

My daytime temps normalize whenever I take thyroid, but my morning temps and pulses remain low even after years of supplementing. If I raise them dose more than 4 grains, I get nervousness but morning temps stuck at 96.8 axillary.

On another note, I've been using everlywell.com monthly for checking thyroid. I cross checked it with labcorp and they seemed very close.
If you wake up in the middle of the night, a snack might help the morning temps be a bit higher when waking up.

I know of people who did this and it worked well. Over time, the morning shift actually improved the night time sleep where they didn't wake up anymore and the morning temps were eventually good.

Hope that makes sense?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
If you wake up in the middle of the night, a snack might help the morning temps be a bit higher when waking up.

I know of people who did this and it worked well. Over time, the morning shift actually improved the night time sleep where they didn't wake up anymore and the morning temps were eventually good.

Hope that makes sense?
Interesting. I rarely wake up in the middle of the night and can't get into waking myself up to snack intentionally.
But when I used to wake up, I'd snack on caramel melts (sweetened condensed milk base) and that would help me sleep again. - however, never brought temps above 36c.

Beastmode

Interesting. I rarely wake up in the middle of the night and can't get into waking myself up to snack intentionally.
But when I used to wake up, I'd snack on caramel melts (sweetened condensed milk base) and that would help me sleep again. - however, never brought temps above 36c.
How do you feel when you wake up?

Without knowing your lifestyle in general, getting in the basics components of a pro metabolic diet seems to be the best long term approach to getting those temps up.

Thyroid meds wouldn't be my first start, but definitely a strong consideration as you build a base of proper fuel, sunlight exposure, movement, etc.

It took me a while to get my temps up in the morning. It was more of a removal before adding things like T3, etc.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
How do you feel when you wake up?

Without knowing your lifestyle in general, getting in the basics components of a pro metabolic diet seems to be the best long term approach to getting those temps up.

Thyroid meds wouldn't be my first start, but definitely a strong consideration as you build a base of proper fuel, sunlight exposure, movement, etc.

It took me a while to get my temps up in the morning. It was more of a removal before adding things like T3, etc.
Op, apologies if we hijacked your post, but I think this is relevant to you as well.

I kinda gave up on morning temps. Most of my hypothyroid symptoms improved on a Peat inspired living and resolved when I stepped up to thyroid meds. What remains a problem is low nighttime pulse and low waking temps as well as weight gain / difficulty losing weight.

Gonna try different kinds of thyroid supplements or perhaps t3 only...

OP
IT'S OVER

IT'S OVER

i can just buy the thyroid grains at any pharmacy without prescription? and do they aways contain both T3 and T4?
what are your pulses? mine is about 75 at mid-day rest

i wakeup quite a lot in the middle of the night (2-4 or more times per night), but i fall to sleep quickly. Also in the las weeks i have been waking up to pee, just one time.

so its: 36.5-36.7°C at waking

and 30 minutes after lunch: 37°C but you mean midday lunch or breakfeast (iam not native english sorry)?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
i can just buy the thyroid grains at any pharmacy without prescription? and do they aways contain both T3 and T4?

i wakeup quite a lot in the middle of the night (2-4 or more times per night), but i fall to sleep quickly. Also in the las weeks i have been waking up to pee, just one time.

and 30 minutes after lunch: 37°C but you mean midday lunch or breakfeast (iam not native english sorry)?
You temps and pulses and labs are good (relatively speaking). If I was you, I would not take thyroid. Are you having any symptoms of low thyroid? I'd just focus on living a prometabolic lifestyle.

Beastmode

If waking up is pretty consistent, and it's a specific times, have a snack each time.

You'll eventually stop waking up so much as things get sorted (i.e- blood sugar stays balanced, thyroid function is solid.)

Vileplume

Yes, those temperature ranges are correct.

Most glandular products today are not very closely tested like they used to be, so some batches might have much more thyroid hormone than others. However, yes, NDT (natural desiccated thyroid) does convert to both T3 and T4 in the body.

Dr. Peat recommends cynoplus and cynomel synthetic thyroid products because you can be more sure about the exact dosage you’re getting.

My pulse ranges a lot depending on my diet and digestion, so I’m not ideal for comparison, but usually I’m waking around 60 bpm (and 97.1 F) and resting around 70 bpm and 98.2 F. If something digests poorly, it could raise my pulse up to 20 bpm or lower it 10 bpm.

Despite taking 3 grains of thyroid, I still have low temps and some hypothyroid symptoms (cold hands, fatigue, slow thinking, easily stressed out and overwhelmed, poor memory) but I think beyond three grains, diet is the next thing I need to lock in.

Last edited:
OP
IT'S OVER

IT'S OVER

Despite taking 3 grains of thyroid, I still have low temps and some hypothyroid symptoms (cold hands, fatigue, slow thinking, easily stressed out and overwhelmed, poor memory) but I think beyond three grains, diet is the next thing I need to lock in.
Of those i have: slow thinking, easily stressed out, overwhelmed and sometimes fatigue. But think being easily stressed is doe to my incompetence to achieving my goals in the past 5 or more years. Bisides that i have everyday constipation( some times is mild some times its HARD), gas every morning when i wakeup, moderate acne( wich i know its caused by all plant foods,honey and dairy) and insomnia (some times i cant fall to sleep, always wake up too many times and wake up feeling unrested in the morning).

I have been trying to fix my life style for years, but i never work, i feel way to frustrated when: i exercise, have a good and happy day, and them at night can only sleep 5 hours and also have nightmares and the ******* gut issues. I have been months exercising,its cool and such but have almost 0 positive effects on my health.

Sun light have o noticible positive effects, i take sunbaths almost everyday that there is sun , it helps to fall asleep, but not prevent for waking up multiple times.
You temps and pulses and labs are good (relatively speaking). If I was you, I would not take thyroid. Are you having any symptoms of low thyroid? I'd just focus on living a prometabolic lifestyle.
Thanks for the answer as i mentioned above exercise does change very little for me. About the RayPeat diet: i tried it a few times, and his principles dont do much also:

-gelatin helps a little bit with constipation (i will starting eating it again soon)
-Milk and cheeses causes considerable more constipation and acne than most plant foods. Dont matter if its raw and grass-fed (as the ones that i ate were) and i would like to try a2 cheese but its way to expensive(to eat every day) and i have to travel long to get it.
-fruit juices causes painful diarrhea if i drink about 2 cups or more in one sitting, i have tried drinking separately throughout out the day but the same thing happens (so iam left with white rice and potatoes)
-Coconut water is a lot better than juices for me , but its not as satiating and SUPER expensive since i would have to drink 3-4 liters a day ( and i never drink more than a 1,5l so 3-4l would probably cause diarrhea as well_.
-i have eaten raw carrot salads for months and nothing changed ( but it tastes really good)
-liver also dont do nothing good or bad for me (i ate once a week for almost a year)
- o have tried stopping eggs for about 5 weeks as a member of this forum suggested me, but unfurtanetly i didint work and just made the diet harder to follow
- supplemented magnesium and b1 for 3 months and nothing changed, it even get worse (but i no 100% sure it was the supplements)

i am very skeptical of changing my diet because its already very restricted, i havent eat junk and veggie oils in 2 years. but i still accept suggestions.
If waking up is pretty consistent, and it's a specific times, have a snack each time.
ok i will buy some some honey and do a tablespoon.

Neeters 27

Op, apologies if we hijacked your post, but I think this is relevant to you as well.

I kinda gave up on morning temps. Most of my hypothyroid symptoms improved on a Peat inspired living and resolved when I stepped up to thyroid meds. What remains a problem is low nighttime pulse and low waking temps as well as weight gain / difficulty losing weight.

Gonna try different kinds of thyroid supplements or perhaps t3 only...
perhaps it is not thyroid only, but also you need adequate other sex hormones as well for optimization - definitely Progesterone, it will raise body temperature seriously first time you use it, and without adequate progesterone you cannot lose weight, progesterone is thermogenic. thyroid, whether supplemented or fully replaced with ndt or synthroid, cannot raise temps alone in women you must take progesterone also.

Neeters 27

ps dont know how old you are, but if you are over 40 and a woman, its hormonal for sure. food cannot change dwindling hormones. Once your hormones are gone, they cannot come back! you must get bio identicals. progesterone is easy to get without a prescription in US, and here in Canada I order it from usa on herb websites. NOW brand is excellent. fyi

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals