How does my new eating plan look?

m1sty

Hi guys,

Please let me know what you think of my eating plan.

I'm an active guy. Weight train3-4x week. Goals are to put back on size i lost whilst travelling and to lower body fat % and of course be healthy. Found low/slow carb diets worked well to achieve goals but experienced side effects on them.

Anyway, here it is (copied from myfitnesspal, I didn't type out all the brands):

Meal 1
Pecorino Romano Cheese Chunk, 25g
Mango, 1 Medium Whole - 1 Whole Mango (mix up with other tropical fruits at times)
A2 - Light Milk, 250 ml
Free Range 700 Grams - Egg, 2 eggs

Meal 2
Berri - Australian Fresh Pulp Free Orange Juice, 400ml (mix up with other tropical fruits at times)
Jt's Coconut Essence - Pure Coconut Oil, 14 g
Great Lakes Gelatin - Collagen Hydrolysate (Unflavored/Beef/Kosher/Type B), 0.5 Tbsp
Beef - Rump Steak - Grilled, 125 g (will mix up with shellfish, gelatin meats or other muscle meats)
Generic - Instant Coffee With 50ml Full Cream Milk, 1 cup

Meal 3
Generic - Lamb Fillet, 125 g (will mix up with shellfish, gelatin meats or other muscle meats)
Generic - Small Baked Potato, 1 small (3/4 in - 2 1/2 in round)
Butter - Unsalted, 1 tbsp
Generic - Grilled Summer Squash, 1/2 cup raw
Bamboo shoots - Canned, drained solids, 1 cup (1/8" slices) 25
Great Lakes Gelatin - Collagen Hydrolysate (Unflavored/Beef/Kosher/Type B), 1 Tbsp

Meal 4
1 carrot
Tbsp Coconut oil
1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

Meal 5
Milk - Nonfat (fat free or skim), 2 cup
Trader Joes - Pecorino Romano Cheese Chunk, 2 oz, 28g

200-400 extra calories on workout days following workout (gummy bears, coke, potatoes)
Liver once a week

Thanks for checking it out.

Michael

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
For me and many others we find potatoes give me a really bad time so I do not eat them often. That pretty much goes for any starches, except a small bit of white rice with sushi does not seem to do me much harm. I also find cheese stops me up, and stopping up causes a ton of issues making it harder on the liver.

Now, its finding out if the foods that you pick will work for YOU. Watching out for digestion upset and noticing whether a particular food might be causing trouble. It's a long drawn out process but well worth it. :)

Oh, for the carrot salad I use organic distilled white vinegar that comes in a glass jar.

aquaman

Good answer from Charlie, but in general your diet plan looks excellent!

How many calories is this per day? what time of day do you work out? Test body temps and pulse pre and 1-hour post workouts to check the effect on stress hormones (still elevated after 45-60 mins = over done the workout). See how exercise affects your sleep. I'd recommend working out pre-3pm.

You could be a bit light on juice/whole fruits. Also bone broths... I find Gelatin (even great leaks) to not agree with my stomach.

A great snack is papaya with lemon juice, and cup of salty bone broth. You can make a huge batch once every week and freeze in individual portions of broth.

Also add shellfish to the above.

Test out the cheese effect and see how Charlie's point affects you, and please report back.

sprinter

I love that TJ's Pecorino Romano....wish they had other suitable cheeses

OP
M

m1sty

Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.

I will see how I go, i've never really experienced digestion issues before. I guess on my slow carb diet i'd run to the toilet after brekky, usually oats and/or coffee was what caused it, but besides that nothing. I have never really eaten much dairy before also.

I'm not going to be sticking to this to a T for about a month though (moving states), but doing my best at the moment in the mean time. introducing the foods

This is 2000 calories, I am probably a bit light on juice/fruits because im a little worried on body fat creeping up, will monitor though. And the bone broths, I have never really eaten them before so will have to check them out. Thanks for the snack ideas.

I usually work out around 10 -2.
I haven't tested my temp after a workout, but my workouts are pretty intense and i'm wrecked after them usually. I do 3x a week heavy compound lift, full body workouts (3 exercises - usually a push, a pull and a leg exercise. But they are never over an hour. I do also live in the tropics of Australia, so i'm always sweating bullets and my temp seems elevated :).

Speaking of tropics, I also noticed another weird effect, i think?, since introducing a lot of Peat friendly foods in the last two weeks. I was playing golf yesterday, in the scorching sun, and it usually doesn't take me long to get sunburnt up here (30 minutes). I could feel my skin burning and it wasn't until about an hour and a half to two hours in i decided to grab the sunscreen off my mate and put it on. By this time i was covered in a layer of sweat, so the sunscreen didn't absorb too well at all.. I was sure i was going to be burnt when i got home, based on past experiences.... And nothing?? it was like the sun never touched me??maybe the carrot salad? Has anyone else experienced this? i Can't put it down solely to Peat but i just find it really unusual? I'd always be burnt after that in the past.

The cheese I eat isn't really trader joes, I've got one made in Australia. :) It was the closest one I could find on myfitness pal to the cheese i buy. Also, I emailed the cheese company of this cheese and she gave me a list of about 10 animal rennet cheeses they sell in supermarkets in Australia. There cheese seems pretty clean. milk salt animal rennet. Can post it up if any Australians are interested.

Thanks again guys

Michael

aquaman

2000 calories is low.

What made you find Ray Peat's stuff? And what appeals particularly?

It seems you're trying to do a hybrid approach, which is fine. But the main thing about Peat work is monitoring and controlling stress hormones. A workout that leaves you destroyed after must by definition be overdoing it.

The main marker of health is not how you look, how much muscle you add and how much fat you lose. It's how you feel (and not in post-workout buzz), and the main markers of health which are: digestion; sleep quality; sexual function; urination; pulse; hand, feet and nose temperatures; body temps (particularly on rising and pre/post-meals, also post-exercise).

MAtt Stone wrote a great article in this month's 180d newsletter about moving away from targeting looks and moving toward self-expression. Quoting:

Matt Stone said:
replace those self-deprecating thoughts and that body image fixation with time spent cultivating your greatest skill, fulfilling your greatest pleasure, touching the lives of others with whatever gifts you’ve been given, and begin taking a large dose of the wonder drug Fukitol for additional support with that.

It's such a brilliant sentence.

OP
M

m1sty

Hey mate,

You're right i am taking the hybrid approach, i'm simply incorporating Peat's food principles into my eating best I can. Its obvious to me that a marker of health is not about how much muscle i gain or fat i lose, but weight training and exercise is something i really enjoy and am not going to give up.

I got into Peat's stuff after being on a low/slow carb diet for quite some time and never felt too good on it. I was eating heaps of steamed veges, nuts, muscle meats, tuna, avocados and legumes. I experienced sides (hair thinning, sexual sides) on it. Doing months of searching into new ways of eating, I came across Peat (well Danny Roddy first). I like that peat's foods are clean and nutritious, don't stray to far from how I was eating and believed to be healthy and seem to, i guess, answer a lot questions as to why i was experiencing these sides. I am however still learning his ways.

I know a bit about testing pulse rate and body temps, but i think i'm going to look into this more after your post.
Living in hot weather all the time, I don't really get a cold nose, feet or hands.
Sleep hasn't been much of an issue, nor digestion.

However, I'm interested to learn more especially on these, especially urination as it seems i'm in a constant struggle to hydrate!. If you could tell me more details or send me some links, that would be awesome!

Cheers

Michael

Bruv

Orange juice and salt will help to keep you hydrated. I have virtually given up drinking water since I started following some of Peats guidelines a few months ago.

juanitacarlos

I totally agree with aquaman - 2000 is waaaaaay too little calories. Try 2800-3000 if you are an active male. You need more sugar too. It will help spare protein and you should work out better.

OP
M

m1sty

Sweet, Thanks for the tips.

Will bump up the calories

OP
M

m1sty

Calories bumped as per advice.

2500 non workout days
2900 workout days

Meal 1
Mango, 1 Medium Whole - 1 Whole Mango (mix up with other tropical fruits at times)
A2 - Light Milk, 250 ml
Berri - Australian Fresh Pulp Free Orange Juice, 200ml (mix up with other tropical fruits at times)

Meal 2
Papaya (or similar tropical fruit)
1 cup lemon juice (or similar)
1 cup bone broth

Meal 3
Berri - Australian Fresh Pulp Free Orange Juice, 400ml (mix up with other tropical fruits at times)
Great Lakes Gelatin - Collagen Hydrolysate (Unflavored/Beef/Kosher/Type B), 0.5 Tbsp
Beef - Rump Steak - Grilled, 125 g (will mix up with shellfish, gelatin meats or other muscle meats)

Meal 4
Generic - Lamb Fillet, 125 g (will mix up with shellfish, gelatin meats or other muscle meats)
Butter - Unsalted, 1 tbsp
Great Lakes Gelatin - Collagen Hydrolysate (Unflavored/Beef/Kosher/Type B), 1 Tbsp

Meal 5
1 carrot
Tbsp Coconut oil

Meal 6
Trader Joes - Pecorino Romano Cheese Chunk, 2 oz, 28g

OP
M

m1sty

Changed it around a bit to go a little lower on fat and higher on carbs. Couldnt find how to edit last post.

Meal 1
A2 - Light Milk, 250 ml
Berri - Australian Fresh Pulp Free Orange Juice, 250ml (mix up with other tropical fruits at times)

Meal 2
Papaya (or similar tropical fruit)
1 cup lemon juice (or similar)
1 cup bone broth

Meal 3
Beef - Rump Steak - Grilled, 200 g (will mix up with shellfish, gelatin meats or other muscle meats)

Meal 4
Generic - Lamb Fillet, 200 g (will mix up with shellfish, gelatin meats or other muscle meats)

Meal 5
1 carrot
Tbsp Coconut oil

Meal 6
Bulla, low fat cottage cheese - 100g

36% carbs
33% fat
31% protein

aquaman

PLEASE do update us on progress regularly over next 3-6 months!

Check out my post about the 180d reader diet - the pictures he looks so much more muscly and athletic after months of 6000+ calories at 70-80% carbs. It's really interesting. He thinks it's due to the adaptation of the body to producing more of the sex hormones which has changed the state of his body.

juanitacarlos

Yeah looks good. Let us know how you go with the increased calories. I think you will feel better.

If you can afford it, and have access to it, try Nudie Pulp Free orange juice. You can get it at Coles/Woolies. It's as good as you are going to get for fresh juice. Better than Berri which I suspect has the pulp in it still but has that stuff they use to dissolve it. Nudie is expensive but it's quality and you can often get it on special and stock up.

staytuned

ttramone said:
Yeah looks good. Let us know how you go with the increased calories. I think you will feel better.

If you can afford it, and have access to it, try Nudie Pulp Free orange juice. You can get it at Coles/Woolies. It's as good as you are going to get for fresh juice. Better than Berri which I suspect has the pulp in it still but has that stuff they use to dissolve it. Nudie is expensive but it's quality and you can often get it on special and stock up.

Why pulp free?

OP
M

m1sty

Cheers ttramone.

Got onto the nudie stuff today "nothing but 21* oranges" :). They didn't have the pulp free version, however nudie was only 30 cents more expensive to the Australian fresh one, which was good.

OP
M

m1sty

Ttramone (or anyone else) what are your thoughts on eating Kangaroo meat on this diet.

to me it looks like it fits in quite well, its high in omega 3 and low in omega 6.

Used to eat a lot of it and looking at switching it with Lamb and beef at times.

juanitacarlos

Hey m1sty - glad you found the Nudie! It's great stuff. I tried to do OJ myself, but I couldn't find ripe oranges at a good price, so I stick with the bottled stuff now.

As for kangaroo meat, I think it's actually pretty good (has high amounts of CLA, is free-range because kangaroos are not farmed), but you have to look at it as you would beef and lamb - it's muscle meat. It's very lean. I have no idea what the amino acid profile is. I think it's quite high in iron. So I would consider it a good meat but just maybe have milk/milk and coffee with it at a meal.

I think crocodile meat would be the same. Really lean. Tastes like chicken, but without the PUFA lol. Have you tried it?

staytuned

ttramone said:
Hey m1sty - glad you found the Nudie! It's great stuff. I tried to do OJ myself, but I couldn't find ripe oranges at a good price, so I stick with the bottled stuff now.

As for kangaroo meat, I think it's actually pretty good (has high amounts of CLA, is free-range because kangaroos are not farmed), but you have to look at it as you would beef and lamb - it's muscle meat. It's very lean. I have no idea what the amino acid profile is. I think it's quite high in iron. So I would consider it a good meat but just maybe have milk/milk and coffee with it at a meal.

I think crocodile meat would be the same. Really lean. Tastes like chicken, but without the PUFA lol. Have you tried it?

I'm still not clear why you would choose pulp-free? Is there something wrong w/pulp or is it just a personal preference?

juanitacarlos

staytuned said:
ttramone said:

Why pulp free?

The cellulose can feed bacteria.