How do you start your day?

John Eels

@cliff
What's the matter with the B-vitamins? And why do you take them in the morning?

HollyLooyah

This thread was particularly interesting to me because breakfast has traditionally been troublesome for me.

Remember, this is new for me - been peating for a little over a week now. Up until today I had been having an egg with a little cheese and some OJ and have felt fine. Well I read through this thread and thought I would try the fogcutter method by drinking some salted OJ and milk right after waking. Within 15 minutes I was literally stumbling back to bed where I promptly fell back to sleep for about three hours. Soooooo my assumption is I don't have the stress hormone thing happening when I wake up???? Would that be a proper assessment? I think the salt was like a tranquilizer for me. For the past week, I've added my salt just a little here and there and at night but not first thing in the morning and not in big amounts (like a tsp.).

Any thoughts on what else could've put me in snoozeville that quickly?

OP
BingDing

BingDing

That's very interesting, Holly. All I can think of is you needed some catch up sleep and when the salt knocked down the adrenaline and cortisol, your body said "now's a good time". Did you try it this morning? Same result?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yep, knockout of adrenaline and cortisol seems reasonable. Try taking your temp and pulse before getting out of bed when you wake up, and then maybe 20 or 30 minutes after you eat breakfast. That can sometimes clue you in on adrenaline/cortisol.

HollyLooyah

Ok this morning I had a smaller amount of OJ only - around 4 oz - while I was brewing my milky, sugary coffee. So far I seem to be ok. I'm not skipping around the house or anything but I'm definitely not crawling back to bed like yesterday.

Tomorrow morning I will do as you suggested Charlie and check my temp/pulse after breakfast. Am I looking for a big difference in the two readings (upon rising then after breakfast)?

Thanks for all your help.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If your temperature drops after eating, Ray Peat says that is a sign of adrenaline/cortisol. Your temp should start a gradual rise after breakfast. Just make sure to take it far away enough from cold drinks because that can interfere with the reading.

cliff

John Eels said:
@cliff
What's the matter with the B-vitamins? And why do you take them in the morning?

I take them before i surf and before bed

HollyLooyah

So I did as Charlie suggested and checked my temp upon waking then a half hour after breakfast:
waking - 96.2
post breakfast - 96.8

I'll be leaving the salt out of my morning OJ :D

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That's a really low basal temperature. But, it's going in the right direction which is up. After breakfast should be higher then when you wake up.

HollyLooyah

I know! My temps were one of the reasons I started figuring out something was amiss with my thyroid - plus my pulse stays in the 50s pretty much all day. I have a long way to go toward recovery.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
That's where my pulse and temp were when I started. No worries, things will turn around. :)

John Eels

@cliff
The b-vitamins are about reducing the stress response to exercise and sleep. Is that correct?

cliff

John Eels said:
@cliff
The b-vitamins are about reducing the stress response to exercise and sleep. Is that correct?

I eat a decent amount of white sugar, if I had more fruit/money I probably wouldn't supplement maybe a little b3 before exercise.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals