How Do You Shave Your Beard And Moustache Without A Shaving Cream?

Collden

You have to warm up the skin with hot water, maybe a minute or more, then you can shave without pain.

Peater Piper

I quit shaving. :D Admittedly, I can't go full on mountain man since I work in a white collar environment.

lvysaur

I never use shaving cream, only water and then once over with coconut oil

OP
L

Logan-

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try different razors and different blades. Might make a difference.

Redbird

I don't use anything. Not even water. Just a razor. I don't see what the big deal is about cream. I don't get any cuts or irritation.

I do it because it saves time.

OP
L

Logan-

Guys, after you shave with olive oil or coconut oil, do you wash your face with soap to get rid of the oil, or do you let the oil stay on your face?

Last edited:

YourUniverse

Guys, after you shave with olive oil or coconut oil, do you wash your face with soap to get rid of the oil, or do you let the oil sit on your face?
Most oil would be scraped off by your razorblade. What remains acts as a decent moisturizer, but I do have a habit of rinsing in cold water ("close the pores" - if thats a thing.)

OP
L

Logan-

Most oil would be scraped off by your razorblade. What remains acts as a decent moisturizer, but I do have a habit of rinsing in cold water ("close the pores" - if thats a thing.)

Thanks.

Miltron

Hello, expert shaver here. I have been shaving with straight razor and DE (double edge) razors more than 15 years.

It all comes down to the sharpness of your instrument. An ultra sharp razor cuts through beard just by touching hairs. Irritation occurs when the blade pulls on the hair before cutting. No pressure should be required.. This is why the multi blade logic is totally wrong. If blade No.1 doesn't do the job it means that it went over the hair partially cutting it and pulling it. Marketing ploy by Gillette to sell ridiculously expensive inferior products.

Just wetting the beard is enough but a shaving cream certainly adds to the pleasure. Thousands of videos on how to use DE razors on youtube. A year's supply of DE shaving blades will run you the same as two weeks of Gillette disposable blades. Straight razors can be even cheaper in the long run, and offer the best custom shaving as long as you go through the learning curve.

You can find hundreds of safe mens products here
Skin Deep® Cosmetics Database | EWG

Broken earpod

Personally I use a cheap razorblade and lots of cold water, using my one hand to shave the other to apply more water and hold my skin. Shaving with the hairs and not against them, if that makes sense.

Miltron

Cold water is certainly not recommended during shaving. It makes things harder. It is however a good idea as an after treatment..

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals