How Do You Read Through A Very Long Thread Without Getting Dazed?

yerrag

I've been wondering about this and thought I'd ask the forum on how to.

The long threads I refer to are usually the threads of the products of Idealabs. I've always wanted to read all of the threads of his products, but it gets to be overwhelming when I get into just one thread, and find that the pages are so many. Like today, I'm reading the MitoLipin thread. I'd like to just read about its effects on the reports by users, as well as the answers to questions posted to haidut. But I've spent 2 hours and I'm just at page 6. At the rate I'm going, I would need at least 8 hours, and I would have to take notes to remember what I had read in the first pages. And I'm not even into reading the links posted.

And I'm just reading on one product.

Yet I feel that this is the best way still to know of the products without having to post a question that has already been asked.

I am hoping that as I go through a thread, I could be aided by something like a like button that a user would click to signify that the post is very useful. The more likes (maybe not "like" but "useful and relevant") the post has, the more I will be able to read it and skip those that have no likes. No offense to posters, but we do post many questions, and while all of them are relevant and useful to each poster, it may bot be as useful for most of the rest of the forum members. If many would agree that it is useful, the many likes to the post would help direct the reader to that post.

For long time users of this forum who have grown up with the forum, this feature may not be as important as to the newer members. Newer members can easily be overwhelmed by the volume of information here, and doing a good search would help, but it's still not going to do everything.

The forum has been very helpful, but as its pages grows over time, it faces the danger of Curezone syndrome (my term), where users can get turned off by noise and chatter and finding difficulty in getting useful information without tremendous effort. No, it won't get that bad and I'm exaggerating things a bit lol.

I gave one suggestion not knowing how practical it is. But given that this is what we have now, I again pose the question of how you deal with getting useful information when the thread has grown to so many pages.

Thanks.

Luckytype

Take abbreviated notes, eliminate the "talking" briefly write theory, studies and results and then you can articulate your conclusions.

As you learn more youll instinctively make flow charts etc

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Take abbreviated notes, eliminate the "talking" briefly write theory, studies and results and then you can articulate your conclusions.

As you learn more youll instinctively make flow charts etc
By "talking," do you mean the chatter and small talk? Taking notes is definitely helpful, but through 25 pages it drains me.

I probably will just read only haiduts posts and replies on the thread, plus those of a few more knowledgeable members whom haidut will always reply to. That's probably the best way for me, I think. Not to denigrate anyone, but it's just being practical with the use of my time.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Another way to cope with long threads is to just go to just post the question in that same thread, without even bothering to read through the long thread.

Eventually, though, when it becomes obvious, a FAQ page will be drawn up.

SOMO

It's good to hear multiple viewpoints.

If you're only focusing on a few posts, you may not be getting the whole side of the story. For example, there's lots of posts about how studies show cyproheptadine to sort out some hormonal issues like prolactin/cortisol; but if you read actual experience reports of people taking cypropheptadine, there's a significant number of people who have had NEGATIVE experiences with it across many dosages.

Are all those studies incorrect or are the people who had negative symptoms just hypochondriacs?

All the scientific studies on a subject may point to X being positive, but you may not react to things the same way as others.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Giving my share of noise.
The best way to solve this is to have a rating system in his store, with beautiful starts and all. Those that want a short of the cuts, reach the starts. For experiences, the attached comments to the objective of the ratings. And for detailed discussions, the threads.

That's another way to it. I was hoping it won't have to involve a lot of work on haidut's part. For this to work, he'd need to change the design of his store.

How do you read through a very long thread? Do you take the time to cover it from the first to last page? I am reminded of how much farther AI has to go, when what I desire of Amazon's Alexa is to tell her "Alexa, please give me a concise summary of all the important points in the MitoLipin thread." and she will say "Coming up in a minute." lol

If you're only focusing on a few posts, you may not be getting the whole side of the story. For example, there's lots of posts about how studies show cyproheptadine to sort out some hormonal issues like prolactin/cortisol; but if you read actual experience reports of people taking cypropheptadine, there's a significant number of people who have had NEGATIVE experiences with it across many dosages.

Are all those studies incorrect or are the people who had negative symptoms just hypochondriacs?

All the scientific studies on a subject may point to X being positive, but you may not react to things the same way as others.

I wholeheartedly agree with you that the sharing part of these threads are vital. To capture all these comments and to be able to form one's conclusions, that is invaluable. I just wish there is an easier way to it.

Perhaps the best way to go about it is, if all I wanted is to get an idea of all the products Idealabs carries, is to just confine myself to reading the first post of haidut when he releases a product. Otherwise, I get bogged down. Then, when I buy a product, I will be more motivated to read through the entire thread.

Luckytype

By "talking," do you mean the chatter and small talk? Taking notes is definitely helpful, but through 25 pages it drains me.

I probably will just read only haiduts posts and replies on the thread, plus those of a few more knowledgeable members whom haidut will always reply to. That's probably the best way for me, I think. Not to denigrate anyone, but it's just being practical with the use of my time.

I shouldve specified, im sorry. I mean when its not related to data or experience maybe just read over it. Banter per se

Or make the note heading of the study with the result, short the facts, variables of the study etc underneath. Then add in your note of individual experiences and to get more from it try to think critically and consider if there is a reason why?

I tend to look through post history when someone has a given experience to hopefully help me get an idea as to why they experienced it.

Big picture obviously very important