How Do You Make Potato Juice

Marcus1000

Wondering if you guys are looking for doing it just for making a protein soup out of it?

I found an old post: Ray Peat Potato Protein Soup (RPPPS) unfortunately the pictures do not work anymore.

It claims the following steps:
  • Peel potatoes
  • Put them through a juicer
  • Now you are supposed to scoop off the juice I think, and leave the starch laying on the bottom
  • Cook it for 40 minutes (supposedly increases amount of keto acids, cooking it for this time: Potato Protein Soup Cooking Rules )
I have not attempted this yet, wondering aswell if someone did this, looking to do it myself since this seems a great way to add some easy high quality protein to my diet! :)

theLaw

In my experience, here are the basic instructions:

-Peel potatoes
-Juice Potatoes
-Let the juice sit for about an hour to let most of the starch settle to the bottom
-Pour juice through strainer to remove as much starch as possible
-Add equal amounts water to juice and cook for 40+min (without the water you will end up with what Peat calls a scramble)
-Strain one last time through coffee filter before drinking

Cheers!:D

Prosper

I wonder if juicing also removes most of the pesticides and other harmful substances non-organic potatos tend to soak up from the surrounding ground. It seems like an extremely good and cheap source of nutrients if you can use regular cheap market potatoes.

zztr

What a waste of potato.

Where is the evidence that potato juice is magic? Just eat a burger and some jello every few days.

OP
ecstatichamster
potato juice according to Ray has better quality protein than egg, which makes it pretty darned useful for people here who are avoiding eggs or milk, or who need something different.

OP
ecstatichamster
In my experience, here are the basic instructions:

-Peel potatoes
-Juice Potatoes
-Let the juice sit for about an hour to let most of the starch settle to the bottom
-Pour juice through strainer to remove as much starch as possible
-Add equal amounts water to juice and cook for 40+min (without the water you will end up with what Peat calls a scramble)
-Strain one last time through coffee filter before drinking

Cheers!:D

what's the point of straining through a coffee filter? And can you use a sieve instead?

Prosper

What a waste of potato.

Where is the evidence that potato juice is magic? Just eat a burger and some jello every few days.
A kilo of potatos gives RDA of many minerals and vitamins. Now which sounds more convenient, eating a kilo of starch or drinking a few ounces of nutritious liquid?

what's the point of straining through a coffee filter? And can you use a sieve instead?
Probably to filter out any remaining fine starch. Sounds like a pretty optional step.

Last edited:

Marcus1000

Thank you for the steps! :)

Do you reckon that the minerals are still present after this procedure? Or will they evaporate?

Milena

With a centrifugal juicer, how much juice do you end up with per lb of potatoes? How much would one normally eat of that at a time and is it a complete protein profile? Thanks

OP
ecstatichamster
FYI here are some quotes from here
https://raypeatforum.com/community/threads/alkalinity-vs-acidity-2012-kmud-the-herb-doctors.5411/

Caller: I'm wondering is this diet stuff you're talking about specifically for people with cancer or can regular people adjust their diet. I'm vegan and I'm looking for different sources of protein.

RP: Well potatoes are the best vegetable protein known. They're better than eggs in terms of quality.

Caller: What's the best protein?

Herb Doctor: Potatoes. Actually they have...

RP: 106% of the protein quality of egg yolk.

Herb Doctor: I think 8 ounces of potato has 8 grams of protein.

Caller: Oh, wow. I had no idea. I thought it was a starch.

RP: When you're eating the starch too, a liter of potato is like a liter of milk on average.

Herb Doctor: Yeah if you make potato juice and don't drink the starch that settles out.

RP: No, if you make the juice it's more like eating pure egg yolk.

Herb Doctor: And you can even make a scrambled egg-like preparation from potato juice and it's quite tasty.

Caller: Wow and this would be healthy for the general public or only people with cancer.

RP: I've seen it for people with mysterious ailments who seem to be dying. One or two meals and they just popped out of it. No one really knew what was wrong with them. I've seen it happen.

Herb Doctor: Ok so what about the raw potato juice? You'd recommend cooking it right?

RP: Yeah. I think there's someone who is now testing the raw stuff and is going to tell me whether eating is safe. My experience is in cooking it like scrambling an egg.

Herb Doctor: Yeah. Let the starch settle out before you cook it

zztr

OK, there's some anecdote about seriously ill people benefiting from cooked potato juice. If you digest cheese and meat and eggs and gelatin with ease, is there any reason at all to go to the major hassle of juicing potatoes and wasting huge amounts of potato flesh? This seems goofy to me.

tara

OK, there's some anecdote about seriously ill people benefiting from cooked potato juice. If you digest cheese and meat and eggs and gelatin with ease, is there any reason at all to go to the major hassle of juicing potatoes and wasting huge amounts of potato flesh? This seems goofy to me.
If you digest everything else fine, there's probably not so much to be gained from it.
I expect you've noticed that there are quite a lot of people here who are seriously ill and/or have serious difficulty with digestion. For whom it might not be so goofy.

jitsmonkey

Its not magic.
Its a good option for people who have severe digestive issues and have trouble getting enough quality protein
If Dr. Oz knew about it he'd tout it as a miracle thing and sell potato juicers off the idea but that isn't the point.

Its simply a good option for people with severe digestive distress trying to maximize their nutrition and minimize their digestive upset. And what Tara said above....

nostalgic

Does anyone know if letting it sit for an hour before cooking will produce histamine? My MCAS makes me very sensitive to histamine rich foods.

walker_in_aus

Now I know where I went wrong, I didn't add enough water before I cooked it and it tasted like burnt blood... blerg.

theLaw

Here's the most detailed description of complete preparation of Potato Juice (w/step-by-step pics):

Ketato Ketato: A Ray Peat-Inspired Potato Juice Recipe

potato-selection-farmers-market-640x853.jpg

potatoes-peeled-bowl-640x480.jpg

potato-juice-bowl-mash-filter-cloth-open-640x480.jpg

potato-juice-cooking-simmering-reducing-2-640x480.jpg

potato-juice-cooked-starch-coagulation-filtered-640x480.jpg

potato-juice-cooked-mason-jar-2-640x480.jpg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals