How Do You Make Potato Juice

TripleOG

Is the consistency egg-like too?

The solids that formed as the potato juice was heated were like that of egg. More formed as time went one. The remaining liquid was just that, liquid. Water-like. Imagine minced egg white in light brown liquid. That's what my final product looked like.

Experienced no bloat or intestinal irritation afterward, and slept like a baby. :):

Ashoka

I do let the startch settle and poor the juice off, leaving the startch to be discarded. I can get a consistent result every time, that looks like this.

The juice does not taste that hot, but you can dress it up, with mushrooms, eggs, etc., if you have time. Otherwise, you can just shoot a little bit with something else. Assuming it is as concentrated as it’s being talked about, you don’t need much at a time. My 2 cents.

P.S. I’m adding an photo of how I’ve eaten it.

I mean from what I can see, our finished product looks somewhat similar. But I wouldn’t have really described anything as egg-like going on. I tried drinking some that I warmed up a day later and it was kind of brutal. I didn’t add anything to it though, not even salt.

Ashoka

From : https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/10942912.2016.1230873

"Potato fruit juice (PFJ) is an aqueous by-product of the potato starch industry. PFJ contains most of the tuber protein released after grinding of potato tubers in a rasping machine. One thousand kilograms of potatoes release 5–12 m^3 of PFJ . PFJ contains 2–5% dry matter, of which one third is protein, peptides, and amino acids/amines"

There seem to me that it must be a mistake where they claim that a thousand kilos of potato make 5-12 thousand liters of liquid, but the same data is quoted again and again, so maybe i'm missing something.

The good news here is that most of the protein from the potato is extracted in the juice, including when juicing with a home juicer acording to one example.

So overall, about 2% of the raw juice is protein, or about 20g-25g in a liter of raw juice.
In another thread :Potato Protein Soup Cooking Rules @Stilgar says:
"I get close to 1 1/2 to 2 litres of juice from 5kg of potatoes (pre cooking)."

So 5Kg of potatoes would make maybe 50g protein in the juice. Or about 10g protein for 1Kg potatoes.
That's about half of the total protein in the potatoes acording to cronometer.
That's really not that much, but for good quality protein with almost no fat it might be worth it.

I would really like to know how some people got these numbers:

I wish they were right, but I don't see how.

*** What if you juiced the potato after you cooked it? Is there any reason to think you might get more of the protein that way?

Yeah, I looked into that : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1199774/pdf/biochemj00851-0177.pdf
Even if all the keto acids in the potatoes would convert into amino acids (which doesn't seem to be the case),
according to this study, 1Kg of potatoes has around 0.006g of keto acids.
It's really really negligible...
(I write this with some pain, as I have just had the delivery guy drop off my new juicer... and I have 10Kg of organic potatoes arriving this evening :facepalm::blackeye::depressed:)

Can anyone make sense of the studies @Light posted? Seems important to get this straight because a lot of people with poor digestion consider trying this to meet their requirements, not to mention it being potentially a good means of getting protein for anyone. @theLaw @haidut

Mossy

I mean from what I can see, our finished product looks somewhat similar. But I wouldn’t have really described anything as egg-like going on. I tried drinking some that I warmed up a day later and it was kind of brutal. I didn’t add anything to it though, not even salt.
That has been my experience as well, nothing egg-like. Haha...yeah, just the juice can be a bit brutal. It’s definitely not a food of choice for me, but what I ate when my digestion and gut were in worse shape. I would add some salt and something else for flavor. You could even use orange juice, unless someone knows of a reason not to have the citris with it. I’ve even just mixed it with some soda. Due to the purported high protein content, I never took a lot at a time.

TripleOG

Used gold potatoes last night instead of russet, more juice and better taste... but double the price of russet. I'll be very happy if I can make russet juice tasty. $1/3lb, can't beat that.

theLaw

Can anyone make sense of the studies @Light posted? Seems important to get this straight because a lot of people with poor digestion consider trying this to meet their requirements, not to mention it being potentially a good means of getting protein for anyone. @theLaw @haidut

Personally, I can't really find a practical use for this any longer. BCAAs appear to be a better choice for me, and I never found a way to make the potato juice palatable.

Gold potatoes are less starchy, and nearly all of the starch settles after 1hr. Cooking on low-heat only, or it will burn.

Also, in my correspondence with Peat, he seemed to think that the starch left after juicing wasn't a significant issue, which makes me wonder if something was lost in our communication.

In terms of the studies, I think that Peat always mentions those high protein values as being equivalent, not precise in terms of measurement, so this is probably a much more complicated question than "how much measurable protein".

Light

In terms of the studies, I think that Peat always mentions those high protein values as being equivalent, not precise in terms of measurement, so this is probably a much more complicated question than "how much measurable protein".
As I understan it, Peat meant the amino acid composition is equivalent or even better than an egg, not the amount or the availability -
I haven't looket into the bio-availability of potato protein, but as a general rule plant protein is less bioavailable than animal protein.

I don't discard anyone's good experience with potato juice, and there's a lot online about people who find it very helpful for digestive issues.

I myself am a vegetarian so I don't eat liver or oysters, and dairy is hard on my digestion,
which is why I looked into potato juice as the main source of protein, and the quantity just isn't there.

I'm not the first one on the forum to notice that (a quick check on cronometer will tell you the same thing) but then people mentioned keto acids as being like amino acids, so I looked into that too.
There are a lot less keto acids in a potato than there are amino acids, so even if all of them absorb nitrogen (and thus become amino acids) it wouldn't be adding much.

I would love to find out that potato juice is really a protein shake from mother nature, as I assure you I was more disappointed than anyone to find how little protein there actually is in it.

michael94

why try to make potato juice taste like potstoes or a soup

its protein dirt water enjoy as is, leave unsalted

theLaw

As I understan it, Peat meant the amino acid composition is equivalent or even better than an egg, not the amount or the availability -
I haven't looket into the bio-availability of potato protein, but as a general rule plant protein is less bioavailable than animal protein.

1. Peat mentioned something about potato juice being the equivalent to a certain amount to milk as well.

2. Potato protein has the starch removed, so you would need to remove the fiber from a plant to make this comparison.

Light

2. Potato protein has the starch removed, so you would need to remove the fiber from a plant to make this comparison.
I guess you mean that by juicing the potato and seperating (some of) the protein from the starch and fiber makes it more bioavailable, and I must admit I hadn't taken that into consideration and it's probably true as fiber makes everything absorb more slowly .

There's another reason for plant protein being inferior - the types of amino acids that make plant protein are not in good balance with ours.
This is from Animal vs. Plant Protein - Center for Nutrition Studies - by T. Colin Campbell, PhD, one of the leading scientists promoting plant based nutrition (veganism). - He's the guy who wrote the famous china study - The China Study - Wikipedia
While I am not vegan, I've read his stuff and I think he's a serious scientist :

"We have information that the primary difference between animal and plant proteins is their amino acid profiles and it is those profiles that direct the rates at which the absorbed amino acids are put to use within the body. Animal based proteins, of course, are much more similar to our proteins, thus are used more readily and rapidly than plant proteins. That is, ‘substrate’ amino acids derived from animal based proteins are more readily available for our own protein synthesizing reactions which allows them to operate at full tilt. Plant proteins are somewhat compromised by their limitation of one or more amino acids."

I think potatoes don't have this issue and are thus superior to other plant proteins.

Smelly5

I have very inconsistant results evertime I make the potato juice.
Unsure if it's due to me somehow processing it differently or the source of potatoes.

Sometimes I've made it and felt extreme benefit, can run endlesslly, no quick lactic acid build up in legs, fantastic mental clarity, cleared water retention, hair soft not britile.
Othertimes I make it and dont feel anything or feel worse.

Seems to reason that there are is a very particular way of processing required and other considerations to maximize keto-acid content.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals