How Do You Keep Your Teeth Healthy And White On This Diet?

Jsaute21

I wouldn't call it a diet as much of a nutrition approach but unfortunately I do not believe the principles preached here are the best for oral health. I say that as someone who has benefited tremendously from these principles but my teeth are not as white as they used to be. I would recommend using commercial toothpaste at least 3-4x a week if having white teeth matters to you.

I consume 400-600 g of sugar a day and this is just something that i chose to do in lieu of being OCD about silly things. I figure if i'm not healthy enough to get away with this there are bigger problems at bay. Oil pulling and using K2 to oil pull seems to have some benefits for gum health though i don't think it makes teeth whiter.

Runenight201

My two recommendations would be:

1) Brush your teeth, floss, and use mouth wash whenever you feel plaque build up

2) Don’t consume sugar on its own and don’t let it replace heartier sources of energy.

baccheion

Maintain salivary flow and vitamin K2 MK-4 (+ vitamin D3) to keep mouth clean and minimize tartar. Nutrient/vitamin/mineral sufficiency, brush and floss, use basic glycerine and fluoride free toothpaste/powder, etc..

Some rinse with baking soda after acidic fruit juice..

Sodium, chloride, potassium, and iodide are at a higher concentration in saliva compared to serum.

OP
L

Logan-

Are there good ways to whiten teeth; besides k2, calcium, vit. d etc.?

Velve921

What do you do?

I can’t speak for white... but as far as health goes, anecdotally, I had cavities all the time as a kid.

Since following peats mindset, I never have tooth pain unless I chew something with gums.

An added effect of eliminating tooth discomfort is when I started brushing my teeth with charcoal/baking soda...

And...

keeping calcium to phosphorus - 1:1
PUFA low
Starch eliminated
Food thickening agents eliminates

OP
L

Logan-

keeping calcium to phosphorus - 1:1
PUFA low
Starch eliminated
Food thickening agents eliminates

I do those too, but many people around here including myself consume around 300-600 grams of simple sugars every day, and I think that has a powerful yellowing effect.

How does one effectively counter that, in addition to all the protective things you listed in your post?

Last edited:

Velve921

I do those too, but many people around here including myself consume around 300-600 grams of simple sugars every day, and I think that has a powerful yellowing effect.

How does one effectively counter that, in addition to all the protective things you listed in your post.

At 1 point I was doing 500 grams a day. I did not notice an increased yellowing effect.

Now, it didn’t say my post changed the coloring of my teeth, just said it improved the health and no more discomfort.

I could be wrong, but everything based on Peats work appears to be that sugar is not the problem with teeth issues.

David PS

Xylitol has helped. I used it as a mouthwash before and after brushing my teeth. I use it before brushing to neutralize the acid content in my mouth before I use my soft bristled brush. The acid environment in your mouth increases the likelihood that the teeth will become micro-scratched from brushing These scratches will change the way light reflects off your teeth. The micro-scratches also provides nooks and crannies to help the biofilm adhere to the surface of the teeth.
Anyone Have Experience With Xylitol?

I have just started using an expensive Japanese toothpaste (it arrived in the mail January 20th). I have already noticed that it leaves my teeth feeling incredibly clean. Now when I floss, the floss seems to glide more smoothly across my teeth. The claim of the manufacturer is that the nanohydroxyapatite particles in the toothpaste remineralize the surfaces of your teeth. This means (to me) that overtime it will fill in existing nooks and crannies on the surface. The instructions are in Japanese but the buyers comments suggest not rinsing your mouth after brushing for a 30 minutes.
https://www.amazon.com/Apagard-Prem...0016GCZSC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Jib

I've been using the Apagard toothpaste as well with good results. Was formerly using Sensodyne with Novamin. In another thread I also recommended Uncle Harry's Miracle Mouthwash. Been having very good results with that as well.

Floss at least once a day. Tongue scraping is good, especially in the morning. Make sure when you brush to be gentle, and use the softest toothbrush you can get. I'm currently using Dr. Perio toothbrushes but am going to try the Dr. Perio "Extreme" as it has great reviews and is allegedly even softer. I recently had to have surgery to repair severely receded gums and extra soft bristles are probably a good idea in the long-term to avoid unnecessary recession from aggressive brushing.

I am not concerned about keeping my teeth white. Just strong and healthy and cavity-free.

I've been using magnesium oil as a 'toothpaste' for years. Just a couple spritzes on a toothbrush. Tastes god-awful at first but you get used to it after a while. I'm not sure what gave me the idea to do that. But I've been primarily using magnesium oil to brush my teeth for many years now and have not had a cavity since I was a child.

jzeno

Plain ol' hydrogen perxoide from the grocery store.

Example:

Back of the bottle states it is medicinally an effective oral debriding agent. I use it instead of mouth rinses. It purges all the gunk and gives you a pure, non-scented pallet and breath--won't smell minty but it doesn't smell like anything, good or bad. Strange feeling. But it will also help with teeth, gums, etc. Give it a shot.

OP
L

Logan-

Xylitol has helped. I used it as a mouthwash before and after brushing my teeth. I use it before brushing to neutralize the acid content in my mouth before I use my soft bristled brush. The acid environment in your mouth increases the likelihood that the teeth will become micro-scratched from brushing These scratches will change the way light reflects off your teeth. The micro-scratches also provides nooks and crannies to help the biofilm adhere to the surface of the teeth.
Anyone Have Experience With Xylitol?

I have just started using an expensive Japanese toothpaste (it arrived in the mail January 20th). I have already noticed that it leaves my teeth feeling incredibly clean. Now when I floss, the floss seems to glide more smoothly across my teeth. The claim of the manufacturer is that the nanohydroxyapatite particles in the toothpaste remineralize the surfaces of your teeth. This means (to me) that overtime it will fill in existing nooks and crannies on the surface. The instructions are in Japanese but the buyers comments suggest not rinsing your mouth after brushing for a 30 minutes.
https://www.amazon.com/Apagard-Prem...0016GCZSC/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

Thanks for sharing. I’ll read the xylitol thread. That toothpaste also seems interesting.

OP
L

Logan-

Uncle Harry's Miracle Mouthwash

I wonder if using just sodium bicarbonate in half a glass of water as a mouthwash would be effective? I think Ray Peat does that, though I am not sure.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals