How Do You Keep Methylene Blue From Staining Clothes?

tankasnowgod

Hey there,

I have a bottle of the Kordon Methylene Blue product, and was wanting to test it out on some scars I have, topically. Problem is, I can figure out a good way to apply it without it staining clothes or just being messy in general. I was thinking maybe put it on a large band-aid and apply over the scar? Just wondering if anyone figured anything out that seems to work.

paymanz

just rub some of MB water solution on it and let it dry, i would do it that way.

Pointless

MB gets EVERYWHERE. No matter how careful I am, I find it in the strangest places.

tara

Wear black or blue cloths when working with it? Depending where your scar is, wear black or blue clothes over it? I messed up some clothes by the tiniest spills. Now I only serve it when I'm in my pyjamas. :) Once it's soaked into the skin and dried I don't think it will stain much, but I wouldn't wear white/yellow/pink over it. You could cover with a bandage or sth, but I'd put the stuff direct on skin, not on bandage.

OP
tankasnowgod

tankasnowgod

So, I started to mix methylene blue with some DMSO, and it seems to make it absorb as opposed to just staying on the skin. So this basically solves the problem. Just wanted to share, in case anyone else wanted to experiment.

jyb

Rubbing some vitamin C is a common way to remove MB stains.

XPlus

When the stain is too dark, most of it just lingers on the skin and isn't put to good use.
I now dilute it in more water and maybe some alcohol. Then, rub it on the skin more often.

marteagal

Rubbing some vitamin C is a common way to remove MB stains.
I thought the same. It takes less than a minute or so to remove MB stain from the skin using vitamin C + water.
After reading OP's post, I tried to prove that it is also easy to remove MB stain from clothings. To that end, I took an old white T-Shirt and put three drops containing 0.5 mg MB each on different places. After that, I tried very long and hard to remove the blue blobs from the shirt by repeatedly applying vitamin C on it. Actually I took very large amounts of vitamin C, at least 5 times and also gave it time to react, but very little happened. I probably used 5 tablespoons of vitamin C in total because I couldn't believe it.

I still have this shirt (not washed yet). Now it is additionally stained by the vitamin C (brown circled area around the MB places; no idea whether the C reacted with the cotton). If you want, I can show you the picture but you won't want to see it, it looks ugly ;)

Does it need a more sophisticated approach?

Light

Hey there,

I have a bottle of the Kordon Methylene Blue product, and was wanting to test it out on some scars I have, topically. Problem is, I can figure out a good way to apply it without it staining clothes or just being messy in general. I was thinking maybe put it on a large band-aid and apply over the scar? Just wondering if anyone figured anything out that seems to work.
Hi @tankasnowgod ,
Did you have any result with the scars?

MB gets EVERYWHERE. No matter how careful I am, I find it in the strangest places.

I think this happens because there is usually some residue left around the thread on the bottle and cap. The water vaporizes and then you have small, dry flecks of methylene blue that can fly around the room as easily as dust. Once some moisture is added to the dry methylene blue, it will stain whatever surface it is on.

I wipe the thread of the bottle and cap with a paper towel each time I use it.

schultz

I use it for mosquito bites that are itchy and it works amazingly well. I walk around in the summer with blue dots all over me lol.