How Do You Get Rid Of Acid Reflux ?

Jkbp

Forum Supporter
Have you done a blood food sensitivity test? Look into the ALCAT test. Something you're eating (not necessarily an acidic food) is causing the reflux. I had stomach aches and reflux for years, was told to take antacids, Prilosec, etc... but nothing worked. I did that test and it changed my life. Cut out your sensitive foods, heal your gut and then you can reintroduce the foods.

L

lollipop

Have you done a blood food sensitivity test? Look into the ALCAT test. Something you're eating (not necessarily an acidic food) is causing the reflux. I had stomach aches and reflux for years, was told to take antacids, Prilosec, etc... but nothing worked. I did that test and it changed my life. Cut out your sensitive foods, heal your gut and then you can reintroduce the foods.
This is good advice. If in the US you can have this test done independent of a doctor's prescription. Find a local lab that will do it. Dallas has one. Costs about $200.00

artlange

I have stopped my acid reflux by avoiding drinking liquid when I eat protein. My first (and only) reflux event ("heartburn") was caused by excessive stomach pressure caused by eating too much meat and drinking too much liquid. The stomach contents, when eating protein, must get to the required pH to allow emptying the contents to the illium. Drinking liquids diluted the my stomach acid and it took a relatively long time for the pH to reach the correct level. The stomach is very elastic, and as I ate and drank, my stomach would not empty because the pH was too high and just expanded as I kept eating. With this expansion of the stomach is a resultant pressure increase. The illium sphincter is relatively "stronger" than the esophagus sphincter, the esophagus sphincter leaks (called reflux) before the illlium sphincter starts emptying the stomach.

I looked at Wikipedia and there are several medical or pharmacological "treatments" designed to not cure the problem: these treatments are designed to reduce stomach acid and will make things worse. Now when I eat a bit more protein than usual, I might take a few Thorne Betane HCL and not drink any liquids until after my stomach empties the protein. This allows my stomach to get to the proper acid level without filling too much.

If by chance you do have reflux a 1/4 or 1/2 tsp of sodium bicarbonate dissolved in water and drunk very slowly will usually stop the pain almost immediately. Only drink slowly and stop drinking as soon as the pain goes away. Then rest on a recliner without moving, to let your acid increase in your stomach so it will empty. There is nothing to be gained by lowering the stomach acid by drinking too much bicarb water. As we get older the production of stomach acid seems to decreases, causing more cases of reflux. Stomach acid uses the Cl ions from NaCl, so make sure you have enough salt to make your stomach acid. The elderly are told to reduce salt, resulting in less stomach acid, resulting in more gerd, and then inappropriate taking of pharma's treatments.

mangoes

peep

Baking soda is the worst one could do. As well as antiacids.
The cause for acid reflux is too low stomach acid, not too much. Everybody should know that by now. Its not 1990 no more :d

Sleeping on the left side is a good idea.

10 min before food drink water + lemon juice. Sparkling water can help to. Like a slight massage for your stomach...
Avoid eating protein & fats TOGETHER with carbs. (Or just eat carbs after fats&protein)
Carbs inhibit stomach acid secretion.

If stomach ph is way too low then try Betain Hcl with pepsin.

I’m having huge problems with heartburn. It started about 3 weeks ago after I had to take antibiotics.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I’m having huge problems with heartburn. It started about 3 weeks ago after I had to take antibiotics.
IMHO. Acidosis. The bacteria were able to take care of the acids while they where there. Now that the bacteria have been knocked down you are dealing with the blow back.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
And IIRC you have been drinking milk. That is gonna turn the acidosis up a few notches. Not only is the protein leaving an acid ash, the milk is also mucus forming which clogs up the lymph system so that the acids back up even more.

T

tca300

The antibiotics most likely damaged your stomach lining, maybe even creating an ulcer. My guess is you took the prescribed amount on an empty stomach like they recommend, yes? Which is usually too high of a concentration at once and why Ray recommends small amounts at a time with food.

" I think it’s best to use antibiotics with milk or other foods, since a high concentration can cause local tissue damage. " - Ray Peat

The antibiotics most likely damaged your stomach lining, maybe even creating an ulcer. My guess is you took the prescribed amount on an empty stomach like they recommend, yes? Which is usually too high of a concentration at once and why Ray recommends small amounts at a time with food.

" I think it’s best to use antibiotics with milk or other foods, since a high concentration can cause local tissue damage. " - Ray Peat

No I didn’t take that much. But I think there was some damage or perhaps an imbalance created.

@charlie thank you. I will skip milk tomorrow and see if that helps.

IMHO. Acidosis. The bacteria were able to take care of the acids while they where there. Now that the bacteria have been knocked down you are dealing with the blow back.

That’s interesting

I have various supplements I’m going to try if the milk isn’t the culprit.

Limonene is good.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals