How Do You Get Enough Salt If You Don't Like Cheese?

lampofred

I'm trying to avoid starch and muscle meat, so I was wondering what people on here eat for salt? It doesn't really go well with fruits or milk and there's only so much I can put on eggs. Liver and shellfish I eat only occasionally for vitamins and minerals, so I'm still trying to think of what I can incorporate on a daily basis for more salt. Any salty Peat-friendly snacks?

RWilly

I don't force salt. I figure if my body needs salt it's going to signal for me to eat something salty. That cheese may end up sounding good after all. :)

Waremu

I make a gelatin broth. A couple cloves of garlic, rosemary, thyme. basil added into the hot water, and half a teaspoon of salt. Stir, let steep, then consume. Comes out tasting just like a normal broth with herbs and is very tasty. I have it with any meal or solid food meal, most of the time. Good way to add gelatin in and salt. One could also put salt in gelatin capsules and take them with food if they want something easy. I like to add salt to my warmed milk as well, and OJ, and apple sauce. I add healthy amounts mostly for taste, but I don't try to force-feed myself it either. I usually take it in capsules with my breakfast pre-workout as salt is beneficial prior to lifting weights.

boris

Peat recommends pork rinds, they are rich in glycine too.

Other than that: salty bone, meat or vegetable broth. Salted OJ is kind of ok. Vanilla icecream with salted caramel is amazing. Making caramel is a hassle so I do salted honey instead.

Tenacity

Tubers are good foods to add salt to. Seems like it's the perfect vehicle for it along with meat. If you think salt is necessary but cut out meat or starch, it seems like a physiological contradiction to me.

MaxMaximus

I literally pour salt in my hand and eat it until the cravings go away... my taste buds tell me when I've had enough. Seems like eating salty food helps to a degree but the desire for something salty is put to rest much more noticeably eating it directly (for me).

tara

I'm trying to avoid starch and muscle meat, so I was wondering what people on here eat for salt?
Most of my salt goes to meats (not just muscle meat) and starchy foods (potatoes, rice, oat porridge, taro, ...).
But also soups (vege broth + animal stock), eggs, sometimes sweet treats - eg 'truffles' made with dates etc.
If I'm craving salt I can cram quite a lot onto an egg. If I'm not, maybe I don't need more.
In emergencies I've sucked on coarse salt crystals. But I think it's easier on the system well diluted.

Runenight201

have you tried veggies? I tried them once and now I’m hooked. I don’t think life will ever be the same without them. It’s like, I don’t to need to do them, but life is so bland without them. The second I hit the veggies, it’s as if I see in colors again. Like the grey tinted glasses are removed and the world becomes so vibrant and beautiful. But once the veggies wear off, the world slowly fades into a foggy and dull picture, and all I can think about is that next hit. I sometimes wonder if it would have been better to have never done them, because now nothing will ever be quite the same.

#veggies

not even once

Jennifer

I use salt in veggie soups, on savory fruits like heirloom tomatoes, zucchini and spaghetti squash, stuffed in medjool dates, on young coconut meat (it takes on a sweet, buttery flavor), and in coconut ice cream recipes. I used to eat a sea salt chocolate bar made by Theo that was good. I bet medjool dates covered in chocolate, coconut and sprinkled with sea salt would be pretty tasty and easy to put together.

BingDing

Similar to Waremu, but I use Butcher's brand bone broth as a base and add Better Than Bullion brand bullion for some extra flavor, then 1/2 tsp of salt. I feel pretty good getting 4-5 g of sodium per day, warm and calm for an hour or two after the broth.

lampofred

Thanks for all the replies. I've started eating gelatin powder recently so I might make the switch to a salty bone broth instead and start eating salty soups as well. Will also see if I can find pork rinds fried in coconut oil.

Lejeboca

From my experience, if you add both salt and sugar to something sweet, such as fruit juice (OJ), then you won't taste salt while the sweet taste will become "tastier" (I'd say it will start having more complex sweet taste.). I add them in the ratio of about 1/4:1 teaspoon (salt:sugar) to my OJ in the morning.

Assuming that you are eating more salt for its sodium content, one can get sodium from sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3 ). Perhaps start eating more baking soda by making fizzy juices?

jamies33

I like putting baking soda in orange juice or OJ concentrate, it makes a really delicious orange pop