How Do I Know My Liver Is Functioning

Jsaute21

how do we know our liver is in optimal or somewhat close condition? I suffer from inconsistent energy and a lower than average pulse rate that has been proving stubborn to fix despite consuming more sugar and salt opposed to water. Coffee was phenomenal for a while but lately I have not been doing well on it. I have above average testosterone and libido and have low estrogen, so unless my prolactin is crazy high I am at a loss. Please advise on
  1. Best test to take to determine liver function
  2. Best way to maximize blood sugar levels as well as liver health
  3. Any supplements that would be beneficial besides vit e and taurine

raypeatclips

1. Caffeine tolerance easiest method. Blood tests for liver labs can be useful, more in depth.

3. Search the forum, haidut listed, in his opinion, the best supplements for liver health.

raypeatclips

Are you taking caffeine pills with more sugar than the coffee, or with fat? Are they the pills that come with glucose? Tried different coffees?

And yes as you noted, coffee and caffeine are two very different things.

OP
J

Jsaute21

I take them shortly after a meal with baking soda (usually pre workout) and feel phenomenal. They are usually not consumed with a lot of sugar...just after a balanced meal.

I will say that my coffee tolerance has improved since adding more sugar, salt, cream etc. I used to drink it black on an empty stomach and eventually that bit me in the ****. I have some underlying OCD tendencies (always have) even when I was 15. I wonder if my coffee intolerance is more related to some neurotransmitter imbalance. However, I am a muscular man with above average libidos so I find a serotonin/dopamine issue to be unlikely.

OP
J

Jsaute21

Interesting. I used to take a ton of workout supplements...Sometimes I fear they have contributed to some minor liver damage. I think for peace of mind purposes it would be beneficial to get a panel run.

tara

Best way to maximize blood sugar levels
Blood sugar levels should not in general be maximised. There are optimal ranges above and below which trouble can occur.

michael94

Interesting. I used to take a ton of workout supplements...Sometimes I fear they have contributed to some minor liver damage. I think for peace of mind purposes it would be beneficial to get a panel run.

Liver blood tests are basically useless they only measure tissue damage which is usually acute and not indicative of liver health/function. For example fibrosis and bile congestion will not show up on AST/ALT blood test. I would recommend verifying what those tests actually measure for yourself. There exist much better real-life barometers for liver health. Basically, if you have to ask, the answer is that it's in poor condition.

michael94

Also being able to go without meals without stress reactions or detriment I'm sure is a sign of good liver health.

Yes response to fasting is a good one, as is speed of digestion and energy following meals. Carbohydrate intolerance or intolerance to mixing fat with starch is a big red flag.

DankMemes

K2
Caffeine
methylene blue
Glycine
Taurine
Carrot salad

These are supposed to help the liver

how do we know our liver is in optimal or somewhat close condition? I suffer from inconsistent energy and a lower than average pulse rate that has been proving stubborn to fix despite consuming more sugar and salt opposed to water. Coffee was phenomenal for a while but lately I have not been doing well on it. I have above average testosterone and libido and have low estrogen, so unless my prolactin is crazy high I am at a loss. Please advise on
  1. Best test to take to determine liver function
  2. Best way to maximize blood sugar levels as well as liver health
  3. Any supplements that would be beneficial besides vit e and taurine

This is an excellent question!

Yes response to fasting is a good one, as is speed of digestion and energy following meals. Carbohydrate intolerance or intolerance to mixing fat with starch is a big red flag.

So if I am able to fast 24 hours with ease and I am able eat carbs (rice and/or potato with butter) without problems is a good sign of liver function?

Lately my only focus has been to raise metabolism since I have been intermittent fasting for the past 7+ years (16/8) with occasional 24+ hours of fasting.

Blood sugar levels should not in general be maximised. There are optimal ranges above and below which trouble can occur.

Can you or anyone explain optimizing blood sugar levels? Often when in fasting state, I'm at upper 80's to lower 100's that is with ketogenic'ish diet.

Since RP, I have not checked my glucose levels. BTW, what are the best times to check and monitor?

GreekDemiGod

2nd cup of coffee gives me anxiety and stress.
If I drink coffee after noon, it will damage my sleep.
Does that mean I have liver issues?

dlind70

Simple test.
Eat half a stick of butter
If you get diarrhea or the runs
Then it's a liver issue

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Simple test.
Eat half a stick of butter
If you get diarrhea or the runs
Then it's a liver issue
Could you explain this more please? I’m genuinely interested.

tara

dlind70

Stick is 4 tablespoon. Pending any placebo, it is good for your liver because if you can handle the butter it's going to go through your liver and it'll come out the other end like normal poop. It is an easy test because it doesn't require obsessing over anything.