How Do I Convert Someone From Eating PUFA's?

paka

What is an effective way to convince someone to stop eating PUFA.

There is a roommate who cooks but I worry she uses cooking oil.

I don't want to nag them to research Ray Peat but I want them to stop eating PUFA.

DaveFoster

Steal her vegetable oil, dump the contents, and fill the bottle with olive oil or MCT oil. Repeat as necessary.

Last edited:
Quite a task, basically you are trying to convince her that everything she has been told in the past about 'healthy' fats is wrong.

It involves a major shift of awareness and change of habits. If she is scientifically minded and health conscious you are in with a chance, failing that you have about as much chance as you would talking somebody out of smoking.

I think your only chance is to somehow make her curious and interested in the idea. It might be pretty easy to get her to try coconut oil for cooking but unless she understands and agrees with the reasoning she will have no compulsion to avoid the PUFA in food that she doesn't prepare herself.

johnwester130

I don't want to nag them to research Ray Peat but I want them to stop eating PUFA.

for crisps, use jackson's or trafo

Tortilla Chips
'Trafo Lightly Salted Coconut Oil Potato Chips 100g' from The Natural Grocery Store in Cheltenham

for crackers and biscuits, use nairn's oat crackers, and re cook them in coconut oil
Fine Milled Oatcakes | Scottish Oatcakes | Nairn's

for breads, try to find rye sourdough and re-bake it in coconut oil

I have a 10kg tub of coconut oil on my kitchen counter, so it's always easy to use coconut oil for me

Sucrates

Pavlovian conditioning. It takes a bit of work, but it really is the only way to control these savages.

"It's a tempting thing when you hear something that rings true for you, to try and persuade other people that it's true.

This is so basic an approach that it seems to many incomprehensible that there would be a problem with it, but there is.

It's this. That at some point, someone needs to stop persuading, and be persuaded. And when you look around the world and see so many brilliant people doing brilliant things, you think - "Oh my God, if only I could show them this, what would they do then?"

But in order to feel that, you already have to have seen something worth acting upon. And the best possible result you can ever hope for from persuading people, is that at some point, someone is going to be persuaded, and act.

You're already persuaded. Stop trying to persuade people. Be the one persuaded. Live the life that's now open to you because you see what others don't.

And in any case, people are far more likely to be persuaded by authentic action than by any words you could ever muster."

Ruthless Truth: Be The One Persuaded

Don't waste your time. People don't care. I wish I could take back all of the time and energy I've wasted over the last decade trying to convince people about food/nutrition stuff.

TubZy

Tell her to try refined coconut oil. Make sure you say refined and mention it doesn't taste like anything and food comes out more moist with it too or else people look at me weird when I say it thinking their food is going to taste coconutty.

Constatine

"It's a tempting thing when you hear something that rings true for you, to try and persuade other people that it's true.

This is so basic an approach that it seems to many incomprehensible that there would be a problem with it, but there is.

It's this. That at some point, someone needs to stop persuading, and be persuaded. And when you look around the world and see so many brilliant people doing brilliant things, you think - "Oh my God, if only I could show them this, what would they do then?"

But in order to feel that, you already have to have seen something worth acting upon. And the best possible result you can ever hope for from persuading people, is that at some point, someone is going to be persuaded, and act.

You're already persuaded. Stop trying to persuade people. Be the one persuaded. Live the life that's now open to you because you see what others don't.

And in any case, people are far more likely to be persuaded by authentic action than by any words you could ever muster."

Ruthless Truth: Be The One Persuaded

Don't waste your time. People don't care. I wish I could take back all of the time and energy I've wasted over the last decade trying to convince people about food/nutrition stuff.

I resonate with these words. Well spoken.

Agent207

Don't. Just wait and see how as the time goes on, that person will hold the same -if not better- health than you. Then you think it twice before trying to convert anybody. Believe me, it will happen; life is complex.

paymanz

It only works if she interest in health topics,

Tell her these oils come from plants of cold environment and its not suitable for warm blooded mammals/humans with high body temp and oxygenated/circulating medium(blood) ,it gets rancid in your body.

Its not made for such environment!

Syncopated

Show her the Peat article on coconut oil where he writes about the lady who had to cook her husbands meal in separate oil from hers and how he looked much older though they were the same age. Also show her the Peat YouTube video on "FATS" recorded with Elise in October 2008. He talks about how unsaturated fat ages the skin.

DaveFoster

Also, emphasize weight loss. Weight loss is the best communicator to the brain stem: anything involving sex appeal, really.

tara

Depends what motivates her to use seed oils in the first place.
If it's money (seed oils are a lot cheaper than coconut oil round here round here), then buying her a big tub of coconut oil might help.
If she's one of the minority who choose their food on the basis of what they believe is good for them, and who actually study such things, then she may be open to having a useful article or video left lying around.
If she's motivated by path of least resistance, then just putting coconut oil easy to reach and saying she's welcome to use it might help.
If it's because she thinks it is necessary or tastes good, then cooking and baking things for her that she likes with coconut oil or butter and demonstrating that it's workable and tastes good might have an effect.
Exhortations might work for a small minority. But risky.

Last edited:

yerrag

Don't you just love this forum? It's the only one I know that agrees on PUFAs. I'm not only on another planet, but is this heaven or what?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals