How Did You Lose Weight On A Ray Peat Diet?

i'm losing weight now.

I'm at about 26% BMI.

I'm eating eggs, nonfat milk, orange juice, guava juice, coke, nonfat yogurt, rice, lean beef, gelatin. A few butter cookies as a cheat.

I slowly lose weight. I am down about 4 pounds over 2 weeks. But it's real weight loss. Maybe 6 or 8 pounds. And expect to be at 175 in about 3 or 4 months. It's low fat and not being hungry that helps. Keeps cortisol at bay.

L

lollipop

i'm losing weight now.

I'm at about 26% BMI.

I'm eating eggs, nonfat milk, orange juice, guava juice, coke, nonfat yogurt, rice, lean beef, gelatin. A few butter cookies as a cheat.

I slowly lose weight. I am down about 4 pounds over 2 weeks. But it's real weight loss. Maybe 6 or 8 pounds. And expect to be at 175 in about 3 or 4 months. It's low fat and not being hungry that helps. Keeps cortisol at bay.
Nice @ecstatichamster. I also am losing by slightly lowering fat and reducing stress. My loss s a bit slower than yours but definitely steady. Also I think because this diet is anabolic, my gains are not just fat but muscle, bones, just simply bigger, stronger.

HLP

10% BF doesn't give you any survival fat, just in case. I've been there and done that and didn't look or feel great.

OP
Lee Simeon

Lee Simeon

i'm losing weight now.

I'm at about 26% BMI.

What is your current caloric intake?

Focusing on optimizing health, well-being, and stress levels is probably more effective for long-term healthy weight-loss than focusing on "trying to lose weight."

Your current weight is just a snapshot of one out of many variables that contribute to your overall state of health and provides limited prescriptive value. Let your appetite and knowledge guide your decisions on what to eat and how much to eat.

A good strategy might be to focus on feeling better by eating plenty of foods that decrease stress while providing important nutrients ("Peaty foods" tend to outperform most other foods in this regard) and modifying your lifestyle to be less stressful and more stimulating in terms of your unique individual needs and preferences.

If all else fails, play World of Warcraft:D

Last edited:

Steve

I just reached one of my weight goals this morning.
After 1 month of dieting I've gone from 196.4 to 189.3.
I'm just using old-fashioned calorie restriction using Cronometer (seems most people on this site don't approve of calorie restriction though).
Averaging 2,266 calories (47% carbs, 21% protein, 29% fat, 3% beer). Going about 400 below total calories burned according to Cronometer.
Do some walking & biking & just started weight lifting...............about 1 hour of exercise each day (a little over some days).
I have to admit I'm hungry quite often, especially at night.
The guy in the link below sounded pretty convincing.
Starvation Mode: Is It A Myth? Is It Real? Is Your Body In It Right Now?

frant26

I eat pretty much the same as @ecstatichamster with 2500-3000 calories a day. Except there's no non-fat milk here (lowest is skim 1.5%) and I eat some cheese and a little potatoes.

I can't lose weight, at all, and I doubt is that little extra fat.

Besides basics like preventing cortisol and free fatty acids (small meals with carbohydrate, niacinamide) in my opinion the REAL thing has to do with lifestyle. Getting out of the house, playing, walking barefoot in the ground, exercising, getting sunlight, meeting friends, laughing.

I just started calisthenics classes, super inspired by Ido Portal. He's the Ray Peat of movement.

bmoores

By weight loss I take it you mean fat loss. A high metabolism leads to muscle gain and bone density increases, which add weight.

For a while I had more fat than ever but now I'm at typical leanness. The periods I had the most fat I was still eating lots of fat, total calories above 4000, and I was stuck in glycolysis with high cortisol and adrenaline.

Starch-free Peat-suggested diet alone was insufficient to correct these within a year, though diet allowed me to quickly improve with immediate results from:

Pregnenolone and red light lowered cortisol

B1, Diamox, Naltrexone inhibited glycolysis

Tetracycline and Penicillin lowered adrenaline. Clonidine helped diagnose.

And switching to skim milk allows me to cut fat pretty much whever I want. I still eat queso fresco, chocolate or some other fat with skim to slow absorption of its sugar and protein

Daily calorie consumption is still 4000-6000 but I've shifted to more sugar less fat as my metabolism repaired

Steve

By weight loss I take it you mean fat loss. A high metabolism leads to muscle gain and bone density increases, which add weight.

For a while I had more fat than ever but now I'm at typical leanness. The periods I had the most fat I was still eating lots of fat, total calories above 4000, and I was stuck in glycolysis with high cortisol and adrenaline.

Starch-free Peat-suggested diet alone was insufficient to correct these within a year, though diet allowed me to quickly improve with immediate results from:

Pregnenolone and red light lowered cortisol

B1, Diamox, Naltrexone inhibited glycolysis

Tetracycline and Penicillin lowered adrenaline. Clonidine helped diagnose.

And switching to skim milk allows me to cut fat pretty much whever I want. I still eat queso fresco, chocolate or some other fat with skim to slow absorption of its sugar and protein

Daily calorie consumption is still 4000-6000 but I've shifted to more sugar less fat as my metabolism repaired
4000-6000 calories & you're lean? That would be nice.
How old are you & what weight are you & what is your daily activity like?
I love eating, so 5,000 calories a day would be very enjoyable.

I eat pretty much the same as @ecstatichamster with 2500-3000 calories a day. Except there's no non-fat milk here (lowest is skim 1.5%) and I eat some cheese and a little potatoes.

I can't lose weight, at all, and I doubt is that little extra fat.

Besides basics like preventing cortisol and free fatty acids (small meals with carbohydrate, niacinamide) in my opinion the REAL thing has to do with lifestyle. Getting out of the house, playing, walking barefoot in the ground, exercising, getting sunlight, meeting friends, laughing.

I just started calisthenics classes, super inspired by Ido Portal. He's the Ray Peat of movement.

I eat a bit of bread and cheese now and again...

Activity is helpful.

Ian Lenny

To get below 10% bodyfat you should track calories. As people have mentioned in this forum, that is not necessarily going to be the best for your metabolism. If you want to get leaner on a ray peat diet I would say track calories and eat more nutrient dense foods in a format that is easily digestible. I think Peat recommends kale broth or greens broth. On top of that I would say don't worry about eating some spinach either cooked or raw as well as seriously upping the mushrooms. This will keep you from feeling hungry as you go slightly lower on calories. Also, I would experiment with higher sugar vs. higher fat as many people have mentioned in other threads. Finally, strike a balance between the most peat optimal foods and the most satiating foods. for example, eat mostly sugar, but if you have a specific starch that tends to fill you up, try a little of that as well and see how it makes you feel. The biggest thing is that going solidly into the sinlge digits and staying healthy does take some tweaking individually as you are really trying to optimize at that point. The two things that apply to everyone are track calories and track steps with a fitbit etc.. Otherwise if you drop calories you will just spontaneausly move less. Other then that, continue Peating as normal. Hope this helps.

mjrm

i'm losing weight now.

I'm at about 26% BMI.

how many calories per day?

bmoores

4000-6000 calories & you're lean? That would be nice.
How old are you & what weight are you & what is your daily activity like?
I love eating, so 5,000 calories a day would be very enjoyable.

I'm 38, guessing 165lb, sedentary except for the stairs and walking to the kitchen to eat or running errands.

Once or twice a week, or at least once a month depending on rain and road closures, I'm vigorous in the forest running saw and clearing brush to build trail, and I eat over 6000 calories those days, including 5-6 cokes that fit in my pockets. Muscle mass is still increasing from that.

EIRE24

I'm 38, guessing 165lb, sedentary except for the stairs and walking to the kitchen to eat or running errands.

Once or twice a week, or at least once a month depending on rain and road closures, I'm vigorous in the forest running saw and clearing brush to build trail, and I eat over 6000 calories those days, including 5-6 cokes that fit in my pockets. Muscle mass is still increasing from that.
Were you eating lower than this amount usually or were you always eating 6000 calories with this job?

bmoores

Were you eating lower than this amount usually or were you always eating 6000 calories with this job?
These days if I'm active. Say I go backpacking, on a 5 mile hike, etc. I eat an extra few thousand calories. Intense mental activity can also increase demand.

If I'm sedentary, I eat less.

J

James IV

For me; Very low fat drops weight fast, but I am very catablolic, and the weight seems to come off in the wrong places. I get lean but skinny arms, shoulders, and legs but stay soft in the middle. Plus I need to eat constantly.

Low carb with enough to stay out of ketosis, and limit gluconeogenesis, drops fat from my middle and face, and makes my chest/arms/shoulders/legs more heavily muscled. Plus it's easier to run in a caloric deficit without feeling like I am.

I do think my protein intake is fairly constant with both approaches. But I do enjoy my protein more when it comes with fat. I can't do skim milk or lean meats for very long.

EIRE24

For me; Very low fat drops weight fast, but I am very catablolic, and the weight seems to come off in the wrong places. I get lean but skinny arms, shoulders, and legs but stay soft in the middle. Plus I need to eat constantly.

Low carb with enough to stay out of ketosis, and limit gluconeogenesis, drops fat from my middle and face, and makes my chest/arms/shoulders/legs more heavily muscled. Plus it's easier to run in a caloric deficit without feeling like I am.

I do think my protein intake is fairly constant with both approaches. But I do enjoy my protein more when it comes with fat. I can't do skim milk or lean meats for very long.
I can relate to the soft centre and skinny arms and legs with high carb low fat. Maybe increasing protein would help with this?

Also, what other differences besides composition do you notice? I'm guessing it is high fat and high protein you are running at the moment with your diet

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals