How Did The Public Come To Believe The Low Serotonin Theory Of Depression By Robert Whitaker

Frankdee20

I did not view this video yet, but when tricyclics fell out of vogue, the eighties saw great marketing by Eli Lily for Prozac. It was touted as safer, as far as lethality was concerned. I thought it started from this, and made serotonin a household name.

Frankdee20

Wonderful video, and of course nothing groundbreaking for those who know what a fallacy psychiatry is and has been. Great job by Whitaker for exposing and confronting the joke that is the huge psychiatry machine.

haidut

Forum Supporter
"13% of mothers in American are taking anti-depressants while pregnant."

Holy Mother of God.

Psychiatrists need to put on trial for crimes against humanity.

It is actually a much higher percentage because they only count in this statistic the women who were on SSRI during pregnancy. Those numbers do not include the ones who were taking SSRI and discontinued while pregnant, or the ones who were put on an SSRI after birth due to postpartum depression. While taking an SSRI while pregnant is arguably the worst option, those drugs certainly affect fetal health if taken before conception and even after birth since they end up in the mother's milk. If you factor those numbers in as well you are looking at 30%+ of women on SSRI before, during or after pregnancy.
Antidepressant Medication Use during Breastfeeding
Antidepressant use during breastfeeding
"...All antidepressants can secrete into breast milk but to differing amounts[16]. Paroxetine is considered a safe option in breastfeeding, although it is more commonly associated with withdrawal reactions, including gastrointestinal disturbances, dizziness, headache, insomnia, anxiety and flu-like symptoms, and antimuscarinic side effects[10], including dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation and sedation compared with the other SSRIs and therefore tends to be used less frequently. Paroxetine may also not be preferred if the risk of a subsequent pregnancy is high[11]."

Given the threads on even very low doses of SSRI turning organisms into violent, homicidal, cannibalistic, and unattractive zombies it is little surprise that Western societies are falling apart.
SSRI Make Organisms Demented, Violent & Homicidal, Even At Low Doses
Antidepressants (SSRI) Make Females Unattractive, Provoke Male Aggression

Alpha

Depression may not be due to serotonin deficiency, but that doesn't mean serotonin can't relieve it.

Vinero

Depression may not be due to serotonin deficiency, but that doesn't mean serotonin can't relieve it.
Serotonin might relieve depression, but that doesn't mean increasing serotonin is a healthy way to do it.

haidut

Forum Supporter
but that doesn't mean serotonin can't relieve it.

The same argument was used back in the 1700s and 1800s - i.e. mental illness may not be caused by brain damage but that does not mean brain damage (lobotomy) cannot relieve it. That worked well...:):

Frankdee20

So does anyone think SPECT scans and PET scans to see brain activity (similiar to what DR AMEN charges thousands for) for the basis of prescribing psychiatric meds is valid ? It has to be a better approach than conventional psychiatry, whereby you check off a few boxes and play guessing games. We do know Dopamine in the Pre Frontal Cortex seems to be lacking in those with poor attention, and executive function. How about poor GABA and temporal lobe dysfunction as a basis for Bipolar ? Just Examples

haidut

Forum Supporter
So does anyone think SPECT scans and PET scans to see brain activity (similiar to what DR AMEN charges thousands for) for the basis of prescribing psychiatric meds is valid ? It has to be a better approach than conventional psychiatry, whereby you check off a few boxes and play guessing games. We do know Dopamine in the Pre Frontal Cortex seems to be lacking in those with poor attention, and executive function. How about poor GABA and temporal lobe dysfunction as a basis for Bipolar ? Just Examples

All mental diseases involve cortisol and serotonin. At least one of them, and usually both. Search PubMed for any of these two and then add any mental disease you can think of. The amount of evidence is just astounding. The only reason this is not public knowledge yet is that it would trigger trillion dollar lawsuits considering what percentage of the population is on SSRI or glucocorticoids (for chronic inflammation issues of some sort).

Soren

Forum Supporter
It is actually a much higher percentage because they only count in this statistic the women who were on SSRI during pregnancy. Those numbers do not include the ones who were taking SSRI and discontinued while pregnant, or the ones who were put on an SSRI after birth due to postpartum depression. While taking an SSRI while pregnant is arguably the worst option, those drugs certainly affect fetal health if taken before conception and even after birth since they end up in the mother's milk. If you factor those numbers in as well you are looking at 30%+ of women on SSRI before, during or after pregnancy.
Antidepressant Medication Use during Breastfeeding
Antidepressant use during breastfeeding
"...All antidepressants can secrete into breast milk but to differing amounts[16]. Paroxetine is considered a safe option in breastfeeding, although it is more commonly associated with withdrawal reactions, including gastrointestinal disturbances, dizziness, headache, insomnia, anxiety and flu-like symptoms, and antimuscarinic side effects[10], including dry mouth, blurred vision, constipation and sedation compared with the other SSRIs and therefore tends to be used less frequently. Paroxetine may also not be preferred if the risk of a subsequent pregnancy is high[11]."

Given the threads on even very low doses of SSRI turning organisms into violent, homicidal, cannibalistic, and unattractive zombies it is little surprise that Western societies are falling apart.
SSRI Make Organisms Demented, Violent & Homicidal, Even At Low Doses
Antidepressants (SSRI) Make Females Unattractive, Provoke Male Aggression

30%!! That is so much worse than I thought. What would be the effects on the baby from taking SSRI during pregnancy? My guess would be predisposition to a number of diseases and much higher likelihood of aggressive behavior.

Frankdee20

30%!! That is so much worse than I thought. What would be the effects on the baby from taking SSRI during pregnancy? My guess would be predisposition to a number of diseases and much higher likelihood of aggressive behavior.

My ex wife was on Prozac when she was or right about the time she got pregnant with twins. Dr suggested she discontinue, so she did. It caused severe depression and she could not get out of bed. She was bed bound most of the day, she would have nightmares of killing herself and the babies. I’ve never seen such a strong woman become so incapacitated so quickly. She wanted me to do something and commit her. Ultimately she decided to abort the pregnancy, as it was too much. Everything changed after that.

Douglas Ek

The problem with mental illness today is that its so common and wide spread. Doctors dont even have time to treat the patient the proper way a depressed person needs. Besides the depressed person might need good friends or a loving family but lack these things unfortunantly coz thats life sometimes. A doctor cant fix emotional problems like that. 2nd thing is that today we have so much bs in magazine, social media, tv etc that tells you this is how your life should be otherwise your not succesfull so its actually tricks people into thinking theyre depressed. Sure theres a lot of people with real mental problems like schizophrenia. But think about all the normal american people teenagers at school that eat ssri or mothers that has been divorced and are stressed out or what ever on ssri. Its all just a band aid for people to avoid and confront the real problems in the world. And the sad part is that the world is infact very dark place with lots of misery. But yeah some rich people on big pharma using the whole situation to make money so they can fly private jets is kinda fd up but its just classic human behavior. Nothing suprises me anymore.

Douglas Ek

My ex wife was on Prozac when she was or right about the time she got pregnant with twins. Dr suggested she discontinue, so she did. It caused severe depression and she could not get out of bed. She was bed bound most of the day, she would have nightmares of killing herself and the babies. I’ve never seen such a strong woman become so incapacitated so quickly. She wanted me to do something and commit her. Ultimately she decided to abort the pregnancy, as it was too much. Everything changed after that.

Wow...
Very sad I feel for you and for her. I remeber quiting ssri aswell had these electric jolts in my head trying to sleep, nightmares and anxiety.
Something needs to be done.

haidut

Forum Supporter

Well, I can't think of any organ/tissue/system that it won't affect negatively but at the very least it can imprint low thyroid function, high risk to mental illness, low gonadal synthesis, elevated cortisol, suppressed immunity, etc. Serotonin is the primary driver of the chronic stress syndrome (e.g. GAD as per Selye).

Soren

Forum Supporter

Very sorry that she suffered so much. That must have been very difficult for both of you.

Here's hoping the SSRI monster is slain some day soon.

If you don't mind me asking did she attempt any serotonin antagonists or dopamine agonists to compensate? Or was it just off the SSRI with nothing else taken to replace them?

I obviously understand if this question is too personal and you'd rather not respond publicly on the forum.

Many thanks

pepsi

Well, these medications are beneficial in the short term at least. What about all the suicidal patients in acute psychiatric hospitals. The physicians cycle different depression meds till the patient is able to contract for safety and leave hopeful with no suicidal ideations. Maybe its the meds or the individual/group therapies, but seems they do something beneficial in the short term.
The problem is they need to look for a long term solution. Maybe its learned helplessness that Dr Peat talks about.

On another note, I wish they would make those depression med commercials illegal, they are all the same, they start out with the depressed person in black and white then everything turns colorful and the person is walking around in slow motion taking in and enjoying their environment/blissful. Like the lady that works in the cafe and by the end shes smiling and happy in slow motion serving customers and cleaning, yeah right, no matter how happy someone is, working in a cafe/restaurant is busy, loud, stressful and youve got to move fast. Very misleading commercials.