How Did Ray Peat Became Known?

G Forrest

Has anyone who attended Peat’s Blake College ever contributed to the forums? It would be really interesting to hear a testimonial

Luke

What was the reason for the arrests and for Ray and others to flee the college?

Tenacity

What was the reason for the arrests and for Ray and others to flee the college?
I read about the incident in a book about Madalyn Murray O'Hair. If I remember rightly, she told the FBI that the purpose of Blake College was to be an illicit drugs ring. Peat didn't flee, but he was away from Blake at the time it happened. You can probably find the account if you Google it.

bistecca

There was a lively thread about Ray Peat nutrition on Mark Sisson's Daily Apple discussion boards. I think it was around 2012. That's where I first heard of Ray Peat.

I've never talked to anyone in person who has heard of him.

He made a post mentioning ray and compared the two diets..

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/salmon-pouches-ray-peat-and-our-inherent-desire-for-crispy-food/

It’s hard to talk about a “Peat protocol,” simply because the man himself hasn’t laid out a cohesive prescription (by design). From what I can tell, people are cobbling together a dietary regimen based on bits of advice Peat has doled out over the years in email consultations, excerpts from some of his research articles, and interviews he has given. I get the sense that his advice is very individualized and tailored to the person who’s receiving it rather than meant to be prescriptive to everyone. Most people are just reading the tidbits pulled from disparate sources and formulating a protocol based on them even though those tidbits weren’t necessarily intended for everyone. I doubt Peat himself lives off of nothing but gummy bears, OJ, coffee, and salted milk.

That said, there do appear to be some foundational principles that we can examine. Let’s take a look at them:

Saturated fats – Both camps agree that they’re awesome, stable and resistant to oxidation, and totally safe in the context of an otherwise healthy diet. The same goes for monounsaturated fats, which often appear alongside saturated fats. No arguments here.

Grains and legumes – Both camps avoid them, especially gluten-containing grains. Both camps agree that of the grains, rice and corn are the least problematic.

Use of the whole animal – Both camps support the consumption of the entire animal, including organs, glands, bones, and gelatinous connective tissue (which, remember, makes up a large percentage of the weight of a carcass that we usually just throw away nowadays). To achieve that, I’d like to see people making bone broth, eating oxtail and shank and chicken foot and turkey neck, and cooking up a pot of fish head stew every so often, not relying on gummy bears and marshmallows for their gelatin (although plain gelatin can be a helpful supplement and cooking ingredient). Judging from his article on gelatin, Peat would probably prefer gelatinous whole foods over reliance on purified gelatin, too.

PUFA avoidance – Peat and followers consider polyunsaturated fats to be toxic (both omega-3s and omega-6s), whether from whole foods or refined oils. I’ve always maintained that too many PUFAs, particularly omega-6 PUFAs, are problematic and inflammatory. The problem is that the studies they cite as evidence used refined oils, not food. They’re not feeding wild salmon to rats, or raw almonds to poultry. They’re giving refined diets rich in industrial seed oil because that’s the simplest way to modify PUFA content while minimizing confounding variables that might change the results (like selenium and astaxanthin in salmon or vitamin E and magnesium in almonds). I understand it, I just don’t think the results are necessarily applicable to whole foods that happen to contain PUFAs. And heck, the claims that PUFAs in any amount are hugely anti-thyroid and will shut your metabolism down just don’t pan out. One recent paper even found that omega-3s increased thyroid function in the liver. Given his recommendation of eggs and shellfish, I think Peat will admit a little whole food-PUFA is fine.

Sugar – Peat is “pro-sugar,” which many people interpret by eating plain white sugar by the quarter cup. I think this is a mistake and a far cry from what Peat actually promotes. From what I can tell, Peat is pro-sugar-via-fruit. Now, I’m obviously not a fan of fruit-based diets, but fruit is a whole unprocessed edible plant food, with all the fiber, vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients that category entails. Fruit therefore is a legitimate source of calories, particularly if you’re active.

High-fat diets – Followers avoid high fat intakes, citing Peat, but Peat’s primary reason for limiting fat is to avoid PUFAs. He even says that “if the fat is mostly saturated, from milk, cheese, butter, beef, lamb or coconut oil, I think it’s usually o.k. to get about 50% of the calories from fat.” I think that’s reasonable.

My general impression is that the “Peat protocol” is anything but definitive, and what we can establish isn’t all that far removed from the Primal umbrella (albeit a high carb section of it). Now, as for the people mainlining table sugar and avoiding bananas because of the starch and skipping the leafy greens and berries because of the minimal amount of PUFAs and fearing muscle meat without an accompanying tablespoon of gelatin (or pack of gummy bears)? I think that’s all a little silly. Then again, if it works for you, it works for you. I’m not going to tell you to stop doing something that’s working (though I might suggest a few ways to improve).

You know, I bet Peat would be quite at home at PrimalCon. He might hoard the fruit and spike the coffee with crushed thyroid pills and aspirin, but I don’t think we’d catch him sneaking off to a grocery store for skim milk and strained orange juice or anything. His followers might be a bit disappointed in the California king salmon, though.

I had been reading peat around this time and dabbling with lowering fiber and adding sugar.

Pufa

There was a lively thread about Ray Peat nutrition on Mark Sisson's Daily Apple discussion boards. I think it was around 2012. That's where I first heard of Ray Peat.

I've never talked to anyone in person who has heard of him.

That's funny I thought he was a hardcore keto guy?

mimmo123

Heard about him around 2006 through David Jubb Talking about progesterone
But didn't start reading anything of his material until around 2012 after all that fasting and calorie restricting wasn't working

morgan#1

I was investigating progesterone. Heard about john lee and peat in that context. I had no idea about Danny and the eat for heat guy. I found out about them on the forum. I was a complete newbie. I wasn’t keto or vegan, I was coming out of my ed. So I suppose that protected me from the extreme diets...but I can’t imagine my hormonal balance. I was a mess

I saw him first on the Silicon Valley health institute videos, I thought this was a uniquely odd and wonderfully quiet man who was saying things that I’d never heard before. Carrot, paper bag, ice cream, saying that walking in nature burns more calories than gym cardio. And when he first came out, he jotted his phone number on the white board! I wouldn’t be surprised if that was his current number.

Last edited:

ken

When I first read a Peat article is a good question. When my son was in high school, late nineties he had a narrow jaw and got stuck with swallowing exercises and other nonsense. I was reading a Hawaiian dentist's website about his appliances for widening the jaw and he was talking about mouth breathing and snoring. He mentioned Buteyko and perhaps an early site that's still up "Buteyko Practitioners- westnet". There among the stuff are 3 or 4 articles from an eminent physiologist Ray Peat. When I was reading that Buteyko site, it was slightly prior to Buteyko's death in 2003. I never took Buteyko training but continued to read Ray. When I have time I'll find my stack of newsletters and see when they start.