How Did Ray Peat Became Known?

Peatful

8FC95815-60B9-4A76-B1F6-A1CA9F5763A2.png
Great question and I look forward to the responses.
I found him through the attached book; and his website soon thereafter.

Aaron

He's relatively unknown, really. You have to take a deep dive into online nutrition circles to ever hear his name. When most people hear his ideas parroted, e.g. through Stan Efferding, people think it's crazy meathead ideology with no scientific basis. Just looking up his name on YouTube, which has become a hub for nutrition info, should tell you a lot about his obscurity.

A guy named “Bruce K” commented about Ray Peat in Nov. of 2008 on Matt Stones 180 degree health website. From there Stone starting posting about Peat in 2009-10. Then Sean Croxton of Underground Wellness mentioned Peat in May 2011 exposing Peat to his audience. Then Danny Roddy started talking about Peat in mid 2011 then going full Peat in Oct. 2011. This can be seen in Roddy’s interview with Jimmy Moore in Feb. 2011 in which Roddy made no mention of Peat and called Jimmy and other low carbers his “heroes.” It was only months later that he went Peat even though he claims it was 2010. Roddy was the host of Chris Kressers podcast so Peat got exposed to Kressers audience. Then Charlie started this forum in Jan. 2012. Then a Belgian guy named Bruno started another forum called “peatarian” in April 2012. Then bloggers and people started talking about Peat more that year and on. But Peat was known locally in OR. I know someone who attended one of his classes on the 80s in OR. Peats lecture in Oct. 2005 at the Silicon Valley health institute shows that he was involved in alt-health circles for a while. But basically Danny Roddy is the one to really blow up Peat.

Last edited:

Vinero

A guy named “Bruce K” commented about Ray Peat in Nov. of 2008 on Matt Stones 180 degree health website. From there stone starting posting about Peat in 2009-10. Then Sean Croxton of Underground Wellness mentioned Peat in May 2011. Then Danny Roddy started talking about Peat in mid 2011 then going full Peat in Oct. 2011. Roddy was the host of Chris Kressers podcast so Peat got exposed to Kressers audience. Then Charlie started this forum in Jan. 2012. Then a Belgian guy named Bruno started another forum called “peatarian” in April 2012. Then bloggers and people started talking about Peat more that year and on. But Peat was known locally in OR. I know someone who attended one of his classes on the 80s in OR. Peats lecture in Oct. 2005 at the Silicon Valley health institute shows that he was involved in alt-health circles for a while. But basically Danny Roddy is the one to really blow up Peat.
I remember Bruce K from 180degreehealth. He had interesting posts but basically went totally insane after eating his high-fat, high starch diet. It was super funny to watch.
Here is a link for people wanting to have a good laugh seeing Bruce become progressively more insane with each of his comments.

Plower vs. Force Revisited - 180 Degree Health

Lilac

There was a lively thread about Ray Peat nutrition on Mark Sisson's Daily Apple discussion boards. I think it was around 2012. That's where I first heard of Ray Peat.

I've never talked to anyone in person who has heard of him.

burtlancast

Elaine Hollingsworth (Australia) has about 50 separate references on Ray in her book "Take control of your health" and can't speak highly enough of him.

This book was in it's 12 th printing when i bought it 6 years ago.

Tenacity

I read about him in a discussion thread on Mark's Daily Apple about four or five years ago. I believe Roddy himself posted there. Another member by the name of 'Elliot' also frequently posted there, arguing against the consumption of PUFA.

dfspcc20

Lita Lee is/was another vector, though I don't think she ever had much of an internet following.

x-ray peat

lots of google searches on thyroid plus the hormones he talks about like pregnenolone usually gets an RPF link at the top. I found him through STTM thyroid forum.

Jem Oz

Crikey @Vinero you weren't kidding about Bruce K. It's like reading the private diary of a man completely unraveling. I wonder what became of him

InChristAlone

I found him because of Matt Stone. Not sure how I found Matt, probably through Paleo bloggers.

Spondive

I found Peat over 10 years ago after reading the chiropractor Guy Schenker’s stuff... I became interested because Schenker was one of the only guys who was saying fish oil and polyunsaturated fats were dangerous at the time and made a few references to Peat

lampofred

Lita Lee. I had hypothyroid symptoms that I was trying to fix which led me to Lita Lee which in turn led me to Ray Peat aka The Thyroid God.

G Forrest

But basically Danny Roddy is the one to really blow up Peat.

Matt Stone had been talking about Peat as early as January 2010 it appears, at which point he had a fairly sizable readership already. So I feel like he was the one to really put Peat on the map to a wider audience. Though I suppose Roddy was the one make following Peat a thing. But he basically took the Maat Stone template of offering a “free book”, I.e. a 50 page e-book in large font rehashing the same point over and over with a click bait title and a flashy cover in exchange for your email address

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals