How Did Hunter-gatherers Get Their Calcium?

Logan-

How did hunter-gatherers get their calcium? How much calcium did they consume in a day or in a week, does anyone know?

raypeatclips

Who says they got calcium? Didn't they all die at like 35 years old?

I doubt anyone knows with 100 percent certainty everything that they ate but will happily tell you their theories.

vulture

Who says they got calcium? Didn't they all die at like 35 years old?

I doubt anyone knows with 100 percent certainty everything that they ate but will happily tell you their theories.
That's right. As long as I know there's nothing serious to state what did they ate. I think maybe it would be easier to read about feeding patterns on isolated aboriginals in the Amazon forest.

Prosper

Didn't they all die at like 35 years old?
Infant mortality. Average lifespan of adult humans has been about 60-70 throughout most of humanity's history.

Ancient people had naturally pro-metabolic lifestyles. Mineral ratios and absolute amounts are not that important when the innate balancing systems within the organism are working well.

Spokey

There are a lot of options outside of dairy; bones, eggshells, plants, water, eating dirt or lime stone to name a few. Guess it would depend on what was available at the time and place, so I don't think there can be a single answer.

raypeatclips

Infant mortality. Average lifespan of adult humans has been about 60-70 throughout most of humanity's history.

Ancient people had naturally pro-metabolic lifestyles. Mineral ratios and absolute amounts are not that important when the innate balancing systems within the organism are working well.

People dispute the ages of people born in 1800s if they don't have a birth certificate now, how can you be so certain of the ages of ancient people?

Ancient people had plagues, slavery, wars, witch-hunts, more wars, threw feces out of their windows into the streets, died from simple surgery or very commonplace illnesses now. I highly doubt ancient times were a low stress lifestyle that we should be aiming for now. What evidence do you have that organisms worked well and were balanced thousands of years ago?

I agree with you that mineral ratios and absolute amounts become unnecessary in the grand scheme of things when everything else is going right, but people romanticise and fantasize about the past far too much when it comes to health.

raypeatclips

That's right. As long as I know there's nothing serious to state what did they ate. I think maybe it would be easier to read about feeding patterns on isolated aboriginals in the Amazon forest.

That makes sense for trying to understand the diets of ancient people, but who says that diet is healthy? In the past people developed scurvy from not eating citrus fruits, does this mean their diet is better than what is available to us now? Many of them had rotten teeth etc

lvysaur

Ancient people had plagues, slavery, wars, witch-hunts, more wars, threw feces out of their windows into the streets, died from simple surgery or very commonplace illnesses now. I highly doubt ancient times were a low stress lifestyle that we should be aiming for now. What evidence do you have that organisms worked well and were balanced thousands of years ago?

This is only true for when resource constraints become a problem.

For instance, the reason that American Natives never developed is because they never had to, since they basically came across two continents of free land and game.

Same dynamic probably holds true for white Americans to some extent, vis-a-vis Europe. America still remains a natural welfare program of sorts.

The further back we look at paleolithic life, the less and less you would see wars, famine, and ugliness. Because there were fewer humans, thus more resources per person, and thus less conflict.

Prosper

People dispute the ages of people born in 1800s if they don't have a birth certificate now, how can you be so certain of the ages of ancient people?
If this is your main issue, why speculate about 35 years of average lifespan in the first place? Methods exist for determining ages of uncovered remains. Discussing them in detail is beyond what I am interested in.

Ancient people had plagues, slavery, wars, witch-hunts, more wars, threw feces out of their windows into the streets, died from simple surgery or very commonplace illnesses now.

Anno domini can hardly be referred to as ancient. Medieval times saw perhaps the lowest quality of life anywhere in the last thousands of years. I'm talking pre-civilization.

I highly doubt ancient times were a low stress lifestyle that we should be aiming for now. What evidence do you have that organisms worked well and were balanced thousands of years ago?

Up until the invention of agriculture humans largely lived the way they had evolved to live. In more recent times, the lives of native americans were largely peaceful and stress free, and so is still the case for most uncivilized tribes across the world, in which people regularly live to 70s and even longer.

raypeatclips

If this is your main issue, why speculate about 35 years of average lifespan in the first place? Methods exist for determining ages of uncovered remains. Discussing them in detail is beyond what I am interested in.

Anno domini can hardly be referred to as ancient. Medieval times saw perhaps the lowest quality of life anywhere in the last thousands of years. I'm talking pre-civilization.

Up until the invention of agriculture humans largely lived the way they had evolved to live. In more recent times, the lives of native americans were largely peaceful and stress free, and so is still the case for most uncivilized tribes across the world, in which people regularly live to 70s and even longer.

How pre civilization are you interested in? Where they hadn't developed writing or keeping a track of any information so you can just make it up? :D

Prosper

How pre civilization are you interested in? Where they hadn't developed writing or keeping a track of any information so you can just make it up? :D
Methods exist for determining ages of uncovered remains. Discussing them in detail is beyond what I am interested in.

raypeatclips

@Ivysaur @Prosper

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/03/24/magazine/who-lives-longest.html?_r=0

"In the last decade, scientists have concluded that humans have lived into older adulthood since 30,000 years ago, during the Upper Paleolithic (part of the era more commonly known as the Stone Age). Michael Gurven, a professor of anthropology at U.C. Santa Barbara who has studied modern hunter-gatherer and horticultural tribes, found that people in these societies who survived childhood lived about as long as 19th-century Swedes did — into their 50s and beyond. His work is one clue that suggests Enlightenment Age Europeans could have had the same longevity as our ancestors who painted caves and hunted the woolly mammoth."

Omg, they lived into their FIFTIES? Sign me up!!

#paleolife #ancestordiet #smart

Prosper

"50s and beyond" is closer to my estimation of 60s-70s than your 35. I will not hold this against you, friend. We all are here to learn.

raypeatclips

"50s and beyond" is closer to my estimation of 60s-70s than your 35. I will not hold this against you, friend. We all are here to learn.

Who estimated anything? (You.) I was asking a question, thats what people do when they aren't sure about something, I wasn't speaking with authority (and then get it wrong.) Enjoy your ancient pro-metabolic lifestyle and living to 50, sounds good!

#precivilizationdiet #ancientmetabolism

Prosper

To say I was wrong is a lie. To say I am glorifying ancient ways of living is a strawman. I was merely off by a minor amount in my answer to your question, and even that is only by the standard of the NYT article you linked to.

Prosper

As for post-civilization lifespans:

upload_2018-7-9_23-42-57.png

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals