How Can Potatoes (Boiled) KILL My LIBIDO?

Travis

Listen to this:

'To gain more knowledge about the genetic regulation of steroidal glycoalkaloids biosynthesis, a microarray study was performed during mechanical wounding or light exposure treatment of tubers from two potato cultivars. The results revealed six genes related to sterol and steroidal glycoalkaloids biosynthesis as up-regulated during both treatments, and to be associated with increased steroidal glycoalkaloids content. One of the genes, St-DWF₁, encoding a sterol Δ²⁴-reductase similar to Arabidopsis DWF₁, was further investigated in transgenic potato plants. Down-regulation of St-DWF₁ lowered the level of cholesterol as well as of steroidal glycoalkaloids, demonstrating an important role of this gene in steroidal glycoalkaloids synthesis. Homeostatic regulation of cholesterol metabolism in plants was investigated by over-expression of mouse cholesterol hydroxylases. In Arabidopsis, increased levels of hydroxylated sterols altered sterol/steroid metabolism as well as reduced plant growth. Similar effects were not observed in corresponding potato transformants, indicating species differences in sterol metabolism. To evaluate cholesterol as a steroidal glycoalkaloids precursor, deuterium-labeled cholesterol was applied to potato shoots. Using LC-MS, label was shown to be incorporated into steroidal glycoalkaloids. The work shows that increased steroidal glycoalkaloids synthesis in potato tubers is mediated by the concerted action of at least six key genes, acting at different positions in steroid biosynthesis. Results also establish cholesterol as a steroidal glycoalkaloids precursor in potato plants.' ―Nahar
I think this article would have everything you'd ever want to know about potato sterols; it is 66 pages long, single-spaced, and is actually classified as a 'book' by GoogleScholar.

sterol1.png sterol2.png sterol3.png click to embiggen: Representative images

Kartoffel

I think this article would have everything you'd ever want to know about potato sterols; it is 66 pages long, single-spaced, and is actually classified as a 'book' by GoogleScholar.

Even Ray would call you a freakin nerd! :D

Travis

lvysaur

Men are generally more visual than women. I'd be more interested in reading an erotic novel than look at pictures of naked men. Women do go to male strip shows, but more as a fun and "outrageous" thing to do for laughs, rather than to get turned on.

I think the best explanation for heterosexual sexuality is that men objectify women, and women objectify themselves.

Wagner83

I'm considering the possibility of potatoes coating the tongue reliably. It goes away with meals of pineapple, quack cheese and honey, is kept at bay with rice and whatever and comes back with potatoes. I haven't experimented enough yet but it seems possible, so I'm sharing in case other people have noticed the same.

I've been storing them at room temperature under sunlight for all these months . :cool:
I do wonder whether the starch changes and perhaps becomes more resistant if they are stored in the fridge.

I just saw this, great minds think alike:
Has anyone else noticed white coating on tongue from eating potatoes? In the past, niacinamide got rid of it.

Travis

I'm considering the possibility of potatoes coating the tongue reliably. It goes away with meals of pineapple, quack cheese and honey, is kept at bay with rice and whatever and comes back with potatoes. I haven't experimented enough yet but it seems possible, so I'm sharing in case other people have noticed the same.

I've been storing them at room temperature under sunlight for all these months . :cool:
I do wonder whether the starch changes and perhaps becomes more resistant if they are stored in the fridge.

I just saw this, great minds think alike:

Well, potato agar is the most common growth medium used to culture C. albicans (both rice and corn should be a safer).

Wagner83

Thanks, it sounds like drinking the broth isn't particularly safe either given it's used to create the potato agar, this being said the potatoes are not peeled for this process. I think I may reconsider my hierarchy of starchy foods anyways, at meast as an experiment.
Well, potato agar is the most common growth medium used to culture C. albicans (both rice and corn should be a safer).

Travis

Thanks, it sounds like drinking the broth isn't particularly safe either given it's used to create the potato agar, this being said the potatoes are not peeled for this process. I think I may reconsider my hierarchy of starchy foods anyways, at meast as an experiment.

I think it could be high in glutamine, and that is why its been historically used as the culture medium. Gluatamine is the one amino acid that stimulates Candida growth the most, and this is because it is needed to make chitin (i.e. poly-N-acetylglucosamine). Unlike most bacterial and mammal cells, the cell membrane of Candida albicans is low in lipids (<10%)—instead being constructed mostly of proteins and polysaccharides, chitin belonging to the latter group. During the transformation from the safe–round yeast form to the pathological hyphal form, Candida albicans upregulates chitin synthesis to form projections.

The enzyme which does this is called glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase. The fact that glucose becomes a necessary cell wall component for yeast & fungi can perhaps go towards explaining the observation that Candida albicans grows best using glucose, followed by fructose and then lactose.

After glucose-6-phosphate had been formed previously from hexokinase, this enzyme adds an amino group. The product of this is N-acetylglucosamine, which is a direct chitin precursor and one of the most powerful Candida growth factors known—along with prostaglandin E₂.

glucose + ATP ⟶ glucose-6-phosphate + ADP . . . . . . . . . . [hexokinase]

glucose-6-phosphate + glutamine ⟶ glucosamine + glutamate . . . . . . . . . . [glucosamine-6-phosphate synthase]

glucosamine + acetyl–CoA ⟶ N-acetylglucosamine + coenzyme A . . . . . . . . . . [glucosamine-6-phosphate acetyltransferase]

(N-acetylglucosamine)ᴺ ⟶ chitin . . . . . . . . . . [chitin synthase]

Finding out the glutamine concentration of a food is very difficult because the acid hydrolysis stage— prerequisite to quantitative analysis—converts all glutamine and asparagine into glutamate and asparagine, respectively

glutamine + HCl ⟶ glutamate + H₂O

I've spent probably an hour looking for the glutamine content of potatoes with little success, but I do know that it does have some. Only certain plants store extra nitrogen (for germination) as glutamine, while the rest store this as asparagine. On account of the unusually-powerful induction of hyphal growth induced by N-acacetylglucosamine—causing accelerated chitin synthesis—logic dictates that asparagine-storing plants would be far less suitable as growth substrates for Candida albicans. Both wheat and oats are glutamine storing-grains, while legumes and corn are asparagine-storing. I am not entirely certain about rice, however, but I think that it may be asparagine-storing.

Although the reason is never given and probably never even known: the relatively high glutamine content of tomatoes, among fruit, is probably why its commonly found alone along with bananas on lists of 'foods to avoid.' Bananas are unique in that their sugar is mostly all glucose, while most fruits have a ratio of roughly 50∶50. The Fuji apple has a ratio of 70∶30 in favor of fructose.

Last edited:

Waynish

When people make posts like this, I'm really quite baffled. Maybe you're not very attracted to your partner? I've never had even large dinners, bottles of wine, and drug use simultaneously impact libido in a way I noticed much during the act. If potatoes can do it... I would focus on my robustness if I were you!

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
vitamin E improve my libido back to baseline, so it's likely negative hormonal effects from the potatoes (probably the starch).

Vitamin E is actually so awesome.

So I had some potatoes that were left in the fridge, and then BOOM, this morning, I woke up with LOWER abdominal irritation, like a spasm, stuck feeling, which coincides to a reduction in libido, cold extremities, weak feeling, I still can't tolerate these fkn potatoes.

Most other starch is fine, but potatoes and even sweet potatoes cause deleterious effects for me.

OP
Lokzo

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
I think that it could be possible, if some of the phytosterols were act like a cortisone mimetic in the body. The case of solanine demonstrates that tubers can create mineralocorticoids, and there's little structural difference within the corticosterol class. The Irish have historically consumed white potatoes and perhaps they still do, making them a good study population. But any growth changes seen could probably just as easily be attributed to amino acid ratios or total amounts (i.e. leucine) as a counter argument. Perhaps we ought to do some calculations of the total photosterol amount per potato, sans peel, so we can gauge the plausibility of bioactive tubers?

Can I please interview you on a podcast? You are insanely knowledgable.

DaveFoster

Vitamin E is actually so awesome.

So I had some potatoes that were left in the fridge, and then BOOM, this morning, I woke up with LOWER abdominal irritation, like a spasm, stuck feeling, which coincides to a reduction in libido, cold extremities, weak feeling, I still can't tolerate these fkn potatoes.

Most other starch is fine, but potatoes and even sweet potatoes cause deleterious effects for me.
I find potatoes fairly hard to digest. I actually find wheat to be the easiest, but there's the gluten, which often causes symptoms.

Sunrise

Si what else balances potato's candida boosting effects, only vitamin E? Would be cool to know if for exemple tomato or other do thé balance

Waynish

Hey all,

I am seriously baffled.

How can boiled potatoes (a massive serving) result in extremely uplifting mood, but completely diminish my libido. I think I noticed this exact effect after using Elixa Probiotic | Ultra High Strength Probiotic
Other effects I notice about 2 hours after them is a reduction in body temperature.

Someone help explain the mechanism.
I have read about possible endotoxin, but I seriously feel like there's something going on.

Maybe these probiotics are eating the potato and making some stuff you're not used to?
EDIT: I see the replies before me already realized this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals