How Can Potatoes (Boiled) KILL My LIBIDO?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
Hey all,

I am seriously baffled.

How can boiled potatoes (a massive serving) result in extremely uplifting mood, but completely diminish my libido. I think I noticed this exact effect after using http://www.elixa-probiotic.com/
Other effects I notice about 2 hours after them is a reduction in body temperature.

Someone help explain the mechanism.
I have read about possible endotoxin, but I seriously feel like there's something going on.

could be endotoxins also.

And consequences of the bad stuff in potatoes (they are much safer if peeled)

TheDrumGuy

Potatoes are very good at spiking insulin. If you're having a massive dose of potatoes you might be crashing your blood sugar, and then releasing stress hormones to maintain blood sugar. Stress hormones can shut down libido. Try smaller meals.

RobertJM

Maybe the potato just isn't that great.

More from me, same time tomorrow.

Prosper

Maybe the potato just isn't that great.

More from me, same time tomorrow.
6972.jpg

Libido has more to do with how attracted you are to your partner(s) than anything else.

And how frequently you mausturbate.

Also, blaming potatoes ignores many others things you're eating/taking/doing that could cause it.

Constatine

Yeah probably endotoxin. I think I've read that there is a compound in potatoes that can lower testosterone but I'm not sure.

Lurker

A man goes to the forum and says, “It kills my libido when I do this.”

Forum says, “Don’t do that.”

Donnea

I don't know why potatoes would crash libido, but I agree with those pointing outblood sugar regulation and endotoxins.

I have to respectfully disagree with @Westside PUFAs . Libido has very little to do with how attracted you are to your partner. Your libido comes from the inside, and you can lose it it you aren't feeling well, physically or mentally. When my libido is high, I think about sex a lot, I notice men around me and I masturbate a lot. When my libido is low, I do none of the above. My partner is still the same, and I find him very attractive

I don't know why potatoes would crash libido, but I agree with those pointing outblood sugar regulation and endotoxins.

I have to respectfully disagree with @Westside PUFAs . Libido has very little to do with how attracted you are to your partner. Your libido comes from the inside, and you can lose it it you aren't feeling well, physically or mentally. When my libido is high, I think about sex a lot, I notice men around me and I masturbate a lot. When my libido is low, I do none of the above. My partner is still the same, and I find him very attractive

agreed...

Travis

Don't forget about solanine, which appears to have mineralocorticoid activity.

I don't see how that could influence libido, but blood pressure is controlled—in part—by mineralocorticoids.

But then again: high‐solanine potatoes appear to be somewhat rare, and solanine is found in much higher concentrations on the skin.

Wagner83

They are pretty low in calories so if they make most of your meal you have to eat a lot of them. Could digesting such a huge meal be too stressful and require too much energy? Tyw said he felt awful on potatoes, he wondered if it had to dowith the volume of the meal. Jamesiv does fine on tubers but he eats way less of them than high carb lower fat enthusiasts.

sladerunner69

Because starch>endotoxin>estrogen

It's a central tennet of Ray Peat's philosophy. If well boiled they probably won't increase endotoxin very significantly, but I don't see how they could decrease estrogen unless someone went from a high pufa diet to a low pufa diet consisting of many potatoes. Furthermore, potatoes don't contain large quantities of aromatase inhibitors as oranges or mushrooms do...

Donnea, I would like your opinion on the things said in this video. Not on the person speaking but what he is saying.

Last edited:

Donnea

@Westside PUFAs , I think he is hott ;). Seriously though, I agree with what he is saying. Men are generally more visual than women. I'd be more interested in reading an erotic novel than look at pictures of naked men. Women do go to male strip shows, but more as a fun and "outrageous" thing to do for laughs, rather than to get turned on.

Travis

After thinking for a few more seconds about this, I had come to the realization that there could be something to it. Many root vegetables—such as ashwagandha and the steroid yam Dioscorea pseudojaponica—do have mineralocorticoid and/or androgen agonists. Slight modifications of an agonist can yield an antagonist, and root vegetables commonly produce an array of similar compounds. If you'd expect anything to kill the libido, or increase it, betting money on a root vegetable wouldn't be a bad idea.

In the year 2007, six different pseudosteroids were isolated from Dioscorea pseudojaponica:⁽¹⁾

steroid1.png steroid2.png click to embiggen

If you look at the steroid ring structure, I think you'll agree that these yam pseudosteroids are similar.

The withaferins in the ashwagandha root have undeniable androgenic properties, a fact which makes a candidate for treating adrenal hyperplasia and cancer.⁽²⁾ A case report had shown it to cause hair growth in a women, and it's even been tested on prostate ⁽³⁾ Studies coming from India have shown ashwagandha to increase muscle strength in month‐long trials.

Although I haven't read much about Dioscorea pseudojaponica, I would bet that there has been quite a few studies on the yam steroids found within.

Solanine and chaconine, found in the white potato, are perhaps the most well‐known potato pseudosteroids. However, indications of thir androgenic effects are few. I had previously suspected them to have mineralocorticoid effects due to their acute effects on muscle, and their mode of poisoning; high doses appear to kill people in the same way digitoxin kills people, through cardiac effects. The mineralocorticoids are the only steroids which can kill in minutes, since their receptors powerfully regulate Na⁺/K⁺ levels on the cell membrane. A little‐known fact is that the cell membrane has actually been shown to have an aldosterone receptor,⁽⁴⁾ giving the cell two mineralocorticoid receptors.

This article here claims that solanine is an agonist for the glucocorticoid receptor:

solanine.png

The mineralocorticoid receptor and the glucocorticoid receptor are somewhat similar, as cortisol can bind both with near‐equal affinity. The androgen receptor and the mineralocorticoid receptor are likewise somewhat similar, as spironolactone can of course bind both. Since the white potato is well‐known to sometimes have solanine and/or chaconine, and some yams are androgenic, there could be something to this.. . .

This study here⁽⁵⁾ shows chaconine can inhibit prostate cancer in 5·μM concentrations—but only androgen‐dependent prostate cancer cells. Curiously, the androgen‐independent prostate cancer were little affected.

'In this study, we investigated the growth inhibitory effects of these potential bioactive compounds in AR-positive and AR-negative LNCaP and PC-3 prostate cancer cells, respectively.' ―Reddivari

'In contrast, α-chaconine and gallic acid did not induce PARP cleavage and caspase activation in AR-negative PC-3 cells (Fig. 4B), demonstrating that the induction of apoptosis by these compounds in PC-3 cells is caspase independent. We previously reported that potato ethanol extracts...' ―Reddivari

Androgens probably increase prostate cancer because they are anabolic; androgens transcriptionally upregulate the enzyme ornithine decarboxylase, necessary to make polyamines—powerful small‐molecule growth catalysts shown to bind DNA and and induce the Z‐configuration: an unusual left‐handed helix. Polyamines have been shown to increase DNA replication velocity during routine PCR.⁽⁷⁾ We do need some polyamines, but too many undeniably lead to hyperproliferation and cancer. The main dietary precursors for polyamines are ornithine and methionine, although lysine and arginine are minor substrates.

Prostaglandin E₂ also transcriptionally upregulates ornithine decarboxylase. The prostaglandin E₂ precursor, linoleic acid, has consistently been shown to be the one fatty acid most associated with cancer. Stearic acid has been found consistently protective, with somewhat ambivalent findings for oleic acid.

'Carter et al (32) found that the promotional effect of a high-fat, linoleic acid-rich diet on dimethylbenz[a]anthracene-induced mammary carcinogenesis is blocked by indomethacin, a cyclooxygenase inhibitor. Later, Cohen et al (33) compared the effects of four different vegetable oils on the development of mammary carcinomas in N-nitrosomethylurea-exposed rats and related these to tumor prostaglandin concentrations. As expected, rats fed diets contaming 23% total fat (by wt) with a high linoleic acid content (corn oil or safflower oil) had a high tumor incidence (Figure 2), and this was associated with relatively high concentrations of prostaglandin E₂ (Figure 2). Significantly fewer tumors occurred in animals fed diets containing 23% total fat but high in oleic acid (olive oil) or saturated fatty acids (coconut oil).' —Rose⁽⁸⁾
Perhaps the reason why only stearic acid has been consistently found protective is that its more persistent than the shorter chained saturated fatty acids—such as myristic, caproic, and palmitic—which are oxidized rather quickly. It has been estimated that the β-oxidation velocity of fatty acids in the liver increase ~10²× for every two‐carbon reduction in chain length. Although ω−3 fatty acids get the most attention for being able to displace arachidonic acid from the cell membrane, and compete for cyclooxygenase, the ability of stearic acid to do likewise shouldn't be discounted.

[1] Lin, Jau-Tien. "Determination of steroidal saponins in different organs of yam (Dioscorea pseudojaponica)." Food chemistry (2008)
[2] Subramanian, Chitra. "
Withanolides are potent novel targeted therapeutic agents against adrenocortical carcinomas." World journal of surgery (2014)
[3] Roy, Ram V. "
Withaferin A, a steroidal lactone from Withania somnifera, induces mitotic catastrophe and growth arrest in prostate cancer cells." Journal of natural products (2013)
[4] Wehling, M. "
Membrane receptors for aldosterone: a novel pathway for mineralocorticoid action." American Journal of Physiology-Endocrinology And Metabolism (1992)
[5] Reddivari, Lavanya. "
The bioactive compounds α-chaconine and gallic acid in potato extracts decrease survival and induce apoptosis in LNCaP and PC3 prostate cancer cells." Nutrition and cancer (2010)
[6] Thomas, T. J. "
A left-handed (Z) conformation of poly (dA-dC)·poly (dG-dT) induced by polyamines." Nucleic acids research (1986)
[7] Fiedorow, Paweł. "
The influence of polyamines on polymerase chain reaction (PCR)." Acta Biochimica (1997)
[8] Rose, David P. "Dietary fatty acids and cancer." The American journal of clinical nutrition (1997)

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals