How can I identify the origin/cause of my acne issues?

TypicalJock

there seems to be a lot of causes for acne but I want to know which one is the cause for me so I can stop it.

julcreutz

I started my diet journey because of acne.
The most beneficial thing I found was to do an extreme elimination diet like carnivore.
Basically, eating only beef (or other ruminants), salt and water. My acne cleared up and I've reintroduced foods since then to see how I react to them. It takes time, but it's worth it.

ursidae

Describe the location of your acne and the type

1608653771224.jpeg

Do you consume iodised salt?

How many bowel movements per day do you have ?

gaze

yea, i think general inflammation is what causes acne. All the anti inflammatory things like calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, fruit, stablaizing blood sugar, enough protein, carrot a day, lowering iron, coffee, avoiding gut irritation, avoiding most supplements, cutting pufa oils, all help.

Motif

yea, i think general inflammation is what causes acne. All the anti inflammatory things like calcium, vitamin D, magnesium, fruit, stablaizing blood sugar, enough protein, carrot a day, lowering iron, coffee, avoiding gut irritation, avoiding most supplements, cutting pufa oils, all help.

you think it’s better to supplement calcium or does dairy make its job ?
and how to stabilize blood sugar and lower iron ?

gaze

you think it’s better to supplement calcium or does dairy make its job ?
and how to stabilize blood sugar and lower iron ?

in my opinion, finding unfortified dairy is the most important for calcium without the risk of acne. so milk and cheese that have no added vitamin A. in order to stabilize blood sugar, smaller meals are preferable, and making sure to have some fruit anytime you eat meat because insulin spikes and can cause blood sugar problems without sugar. milk and OJ can generally be eaten by themselves without blood sugar problems. vitamin D also helps balance blood sugar. to lower iron, avoiding iron fortified bread is the most important thing, and then limiting iron rich meats like red meat to less than 4 ounces a day (or swap for shellfish/ oysters which have copper to protect it). another important thing for reducing inflamation is only eating when your hungry, and trying to eat what you crave (salt, protein, and carb cravings)

Last edited:

ursidae

I have acne type 1 2 and 6
yeah I do take iodized salt, I think so
I have around 3 bowel movements per day
it sounds like a mild form that teenagers get
Where is it on your face? Forehead/nose and chin and are those areas oily? If yes to all those questions and you’re also young (under 21) you’ll probably clear up with a bit of liver and oysters
If there’s any acne around your mouth start using a mouthwash. Sometimes the cause is saliva that gets to those areas if you’re mouth breathing in your sleep.

Last edited:
OP
TypicalJock

TypicalJock

it sounds like a mild form that teenagers get
Where is it on your face? Forehead/nose and chin and are those areas oily? If yes to all those questions and you’re also young (under 21) you’ll probably clear up with a bit of liver and oysters
If there’s any acne around your mouth start using a mouthwash. Sometimes the cause is saliva that gets to those areas if you’re mouth breathing in your sleep.
yeah I got it all over my face unfortunately
I also got body acne which is tearing me apart
im 15 btw

ursidae

yeah I got it all over my face unfortunately
I also got body acne which is tearing me apart
im 15 btw
Is your family financially strained? If they aren’t I’d get a good water filter, a food allergy/intolerances test and not fry anything/use any vegetable oils. Are you using any topicals and have they put you on antibiotics/other medication before?
I’d go to a dermatologist or an endocrinologist and I’d ask them if they’d recommend any blood tests. If they say acne has nothing to do with hormones/digestion/immunity you should persist. I’m not an expert at all, but there are very knowledgeable people here and you can post your results, so they give you an idea where to go from there

Do you have any other symptoms besides acne? And what is your diet like?

Last edited:

ursidae

on the salt, ray peat believes a dose of 150 mcg iodine which is the daily recommended intake is a safe amount, so that would be about 3/4 of a teaspoon per day, assuming your diet does not include significant sources. If you’re drinking and bathing in fluoridated water and have been doing so for years, that might affect your iodine needs, but how that can be handled without ingesting amounts of iodine that would potentially overwhelm your thyroid gland/skin is beyond my competence

OP
TypicalJock

TypicalJock

Is your family financially strained? If they aren’t I’d get a good water filter, a food allergy/intolerances test and not fry anything/use any vegetable oils. Are you using any topicals and have they put you on antibiotics/other medication before?
I’d go to a dermatologist or an endocrinologist and I’d ask them if they’d recommend any blood tests. If they say acne has nothing to do with hormones/digestion/immunity you should persist. I’m not an expert at all, but there are very knowledgeable people here and you can post your results, so they give you an idea where to go from there

Do you have any other symptoms besides acne? And what is your diet like?
hey thanks for the response
I would love to get a water filter but im hella broke atm
also my diet is a bit shite, its mainly bread
which ray peat is against
however I am trying to fix it rn,i started incorporating milk in diet
as for blood tests that'll be a bit hard but ill try to
and yes I did use some skin topicals and some antibiotics but they didn't do anything
I went to a dermajew and she told me to take Accutane lol

OP
TypicalJock

TypicalJock

on the salt, ray peat believes a dose of 150 mcg iodine which is the daily recommended intake is a safe amount, so that would be about 3/4 of a teaspoon per day, assuming your diet does not include significant sources. If you’re drinking and bathing in fluoridated water and have been doing so for years, that might affect your iodine needs, but how that can be handled without ingesting amounts of iodine that would potentially overwhelm your thyroid gland/skin is beyond my competence
wow that explains
the water quality here is terrible

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals