How can I find out if oxalates are my problem?

PaRa

if you struggle with oxalates you may want to add vitamin E
I couldn't even eat ONE spinach leaf without suffering when pissing after the meal, I can handle like 300g of cooked spinach now (I don't eat this amount ED ofc but I can without pain now)

peeled potatoes are low oxalates
cocoa is high copper so won't really trigger histamine but it's high oxalates

add magnesium or calcium when you consume ox rich food and supp vit E

Hgreen56

i want to try low oxalate to.
i also notice that when i increase my juice intake, problems like joint pain, headache, fatigue get worse...
i was always blaming the fructose or acidity but now i see all juices are high oxalate..... On the other hand, honey makes me tired to and is low oxalate...
Anyways it is worth trying
Edit: dammit....collagen is high oxalate to.

Last edited:
i want to try low oxalate to.
i also notice that when i increase my juice intake, problems like joint pain, headache, fatigue get worse...
i was always blaming the fructose or acidity but now i see all juices are high oxalate..... On the other hand, honey makes me tired to and is low oxalate...
Anyways it is worth trying
Edit: dammit....collagen is high oxalate to.

Well the good news is avoiding them for a week should give you some quick answers it you do have an oxalate problem. Keeping calcium high will be helpful.

Last edited:

Hgreen56

Well the good news is avoiding them for a week should give you some quick answers it you do have an oxalate problem. Keeping calcium high will be helpful.

do you now any strategies that can help flush oxalates from the body?
besides calcium and drinking lots of liquids...
Iron may help?

also i wondering, do you have experience with oxalate urine test strips?

P

Peatness

Iron may help?

Zinc
B6
B1
Magnesium

Hgreen56

Calcium binds to oxalates and carries them out of the body.
i think this aricle says the oppisite?
its dutch so i translate it for you with a translator:

The effect of oxalate and calcium in the diet on kidney stones

Although oxalate in the urine comes primarily from the body itself, the oxalate in the diet can affect the oxalate concentration in the urine. Foods high in oxalate increase the urinary excretion of oxalate in everyone, but in most people this increase is not proportional to the oxalate concentration of the foods in question. The risk of kidney stone formation is greatest in people with rapid oxalate absorption. Only 8 oxalate-containing foods, namely spinach, rhubarb, beets, nuts, chocolate, wheat bran and strawberries significantly increased oxalate excretion via urine in volunteers. The intake of calcium appears to influence the rate of absorption and excretion of oxalate. Because calcium binds oxalate in the gut, an increased intake of calcium leads to a lower excretion of it. Conversely, oxalate absorption and excretion are enhanced by low calcium intake. The researchers recommend that the dietary oxalate intake of people at risk for kidney stone formation be limited to calcium-oxalate-containing foods.

Looks like calcium inhibit oxalate excretion from the body via urine :think:

Iron may help?

My son who was a vegetarian for 4 years did a lot of oxalate dumping for awhile after going back to meat. He had some kidney issues dumping them too fast. He is fine now, but it was a scary time. My suggestion is to dump them slower by cutting them out one food at a time. I have no idea about test strips.

Although oxalate in the urine comes primarily from the body itself, the oxalate in the diet can affect the oxalate concentration in the urine. Foods high in oxalate increase the urinary excretion of oxalate in everyone, but in most people this increase is not proportional to the oxalate concentration of the foods in question. The risk of kidney stone formation is greatest in people with rapid oxalate absorption. Only 8 oxalate-containing foods, namely spinach, rhubarb, beets, nuts, chocolate, wheat bran and strawberries significantly increased oxalate excretion via urine in volunteers. The intake of calcium appears to influence the rate of absorption and excretion of oxalate. Because calcium binds oxalate in the gut, an increased intake of calcium leads to a lower excretion of it. Conversely, oxalate absorption and excretion are enhanced by low calcium intake. The researchers recommend that the dietary oxalate intake of people at risk for kidney stone formation be limited to calcium-oxalate-containing foods.

Looks like calcium inhibit oxalate excretion from the body via urine :think:
I can only tell you mine and my son's experience. Doctors still say to avoid calcium when you are a stone former, which is so not true. Like everything else you will have to gamble with your health and decide which side you believe :/

Attachments

• 20210713_121430.jpg
    20210713_121430.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 12

Mary Lyn

There is a good Facebook group called Trying Low Oxalate which has the best list, as most lists are not good. You must be careful in reducing high oxalate foods and can end up in A&E.

I am having trouble with my bladder ATM which is very irritated with excreted shards l guess but feeling better already. I was drinking carrot, celery and beetroot juice which are extremely high. I have cut my potato consumption by half for now. It is the hardest thing for me. I am growing some in my garden :(

Mary Lyn

Also look up Elliot Overton. He talks a lot about thiamine deficiency which is in the picture.

AncestralJoy

Looks like calcium inhibit oxalate excretion from the body via urine:think:

yes which is fantastic.
I would say it is better for the oxalate to bind to calcium in the gut and be carried out in poop than to be absorbed and have to go through kidneys and bladder to be excreted.

pondering

New member here. Appreciate all the info and knowledge on the forum. Slowly educating myself on all things Ray Peat…

Anyone know if tongue/mouth irritation can be due to oxalates?