How can I find out if oxalates are my problem?

Z

Zsazsa

How long did you take the stuff? Does it matter when you take it? With food / before / after ?
I have been taking it daily for a year now paired with collagen and NAC dissolved in freshly squeezed lemonade 1st thing in the morning. Got rid from frozen shoulder as well thanks to NAC.

Serene

Well the thing with oxalates can be from either a build up of them or a sensitivity to them. In my case after getting them out of my diet for awhile and then adding them back in a small amount I realized I don't have a sensitivity to them. I then also realized they were the cause of my kidney, pancreatic and gall stones, now never to have stones again, eating potatoes now and then. Boiling does take out a lot of the oxalates, by throwing away the water with them, roasting does nothing for reducing oxalates. The key to getting an occasional high oxalate food sprurge in is to pair it with calcium. That was huge for me in getting my body to quit creating those excruciating stones. The red, more sugary potatoes, are also much lower in oxalates than russets. So peel red ones, boil them in water, and mash them with milk and butter. Often I do a half and half mash with parsnips, which are lower in oxalates, and make an even tastier mash! Strategizing is the key to having all!
Thanks for the info!! I will try them again when I am feeling a little better. I think I have a build-up of them in my tissues (as opposed to sensitivity) as I didn't use to have problems with potatoes when I was younger.

I have read about making sure you get calcium with oxalate meals to bind to them.
It worked for me. I have been in a place similar to yours in the past. Mind you that protocols both found in the internet and personalized by a nutritionist recommend 2 grams of glutamine daily, whereas I never took more than 300-500 mg and it worked pretty well, I regained tolerance to several foods.
I can't handle glutamine, it causes me brain inflammation - made me stroke out when I tried it. Severe stuttering and couldn't find words, shortness of breath, weakness, etc at a dose of 500mg. I think I have glutamate issues, but just read some great info from Haidut about it so may try his suggestions. Also can't handle gelatin, collagen or bone broth, can't even do meat broth. Not sure how to fix my leaky gut, which is probably the source of the oxalate issue.

Thanks for the info!! I will try them again when I am feeling a little better. I think I have a build-up of them in my tissues (as opposed to sensitivity) as I didn't use to have problems with potatoes when I was younger.

I have read about making sure you get calcium with oxalate meals to bind to them.

I can't handle glutamine, it causes me brain inflammation - made me stroke out when I tried it. Severe stuttering and couldn't find words, shortness of breath, weakness, etc at a dose of 500mg. I think I have glutamate issues, but just read some great info from Haidut about it so may try his suggestions. Also can't handle gelatin, collagen or bone broth, can't even do meat broth. Not sure how to fix my leaky gut, which is probably the source of the oxalate issue.

I am so glad you are gonna approach your issue from a different angle. I am glad I didn't let the pain scare me away from potatoes, peppers and tomatoes, cause they have such a big place in a cook's pallet, and I love them so! Let me know how it goes when you add them back ?

I couldn't tolerate dried gelatin either at first and second tries. It would make me feel "really off", super flushed and sometimes a sometimes gave me a stomach ache. I left it alone, thinking it was a no can do for me until recently, Knowing a bit more about it and other other things. I decided to approach it from another angle and this time trying only a teaspoon in water with sugar and salt and and behold it went in just fine! So I did that for a week and and successfully worked my way up to 2 TB twice a day! I have since reined myself in, thinking I might be setting myself up for disaster, with too much of a good thing, and lowered my amount to 2 TB every other day. You gotta keep trying to sneak up on these "Peaty'" things with different strategies. What might not work now, may eventually work in the future. Raw honey has also been a good addition to our household for many things including digestion. It is a great wound healer outside, so why not inside? It also has lactobacillus and bifidus, like a "Peatier" yogurt! Use it as medicine, away from food. I eat a big mouthful of raw hobeycomb before bed and first thing in morning before having coffee or a meal. It has really reduced bloat and gotten thing moving along better too!

Or one of my problems.

cocoa is my enemy and that’s for sure now.
my scalp reacts extremely bad to it.

maybe I should eat a low oxalate diet, but how to find out if it’s really the oxalates?
Here Motif, I did a Google search and found there are tests to now to find out if DAO/histamines has a part in any of your issues. I am not verifying reliability, naybe just trying to sell you the "cure". I know I have read those online allergy tests can cause more issues with their unreliability, but at least you can decided for yourself how you want to proceed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210425-143431_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210425-143431_Samsung Internet.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 5
OP
M

Motif

Here Motif, I did a Google search and found there are tests to now to find out if DAO/histamines has a part in any of your issues. I am not verifying reliability, naybe just trying to sell you the "cure". I know I have read those online allergy tests can cause more issues with their unreliability, but at least you can decided for yourself how you want to proceed.
Thanks!

dao can just be tested in blood, right ? I’m not sure ; but I think I was doing this many years ago and it was low. But this could also be triggered by my copper deficiency I think. Low copper = low dao i think

OP
M

Motif

Btw. I saw two people on fb over the years who claimed that kidney supplement cured them

Btw. I saw two people on fb over the years who claimed that kidney supplement cured them
Yeah I have heard that too! I started a thread on it called Kidney Consumtion Histamines And More, check it out. My girlfriend has been using kidney capsules and they is getting through her through her high histamine splurges. I have been reluctant to recommend it to anyone, as I don't have any personal testimonials and I certainly don't know how they would play out in the long run. Apparently it does have it's down sides. Fresh kidney is gonna be the safe way to go if we can get it down. I am not having any histamine issues, but I am gonna give the fresh kidney a try for good health and an extra security measure ?

Z

Zsazsa

can't handle glutamine, it causes me brain inflammation - made me stroke out when I tried it. Severe stuttering and couldn't find words, shortness of breath, weakness, etc at a dose of 500mg. I think I have glutamate issues, but just read some great info from Haidut about it so may try his suggestions. Also can't handle gelatin, collagen or bone broth, can't even do meat broth. Not sure how to fix my leaky gut, which is probably the source of the oxalate issue.
For a long time I couldn't handle glutamine or collagen/gelatin either due to glutamate issues (not as severe as yours), but taking them with NAC solved the problem for me.

Z

Zsazsa

FYOI good glutamate "antidotes" are EGCG / L-Theanine, Quercetin, Ginger, NAC, Zinc, vitamin K2, Taurine, Vit C, CoQ10, estradiol

PeatReader

but do people really have Success with this?
is there no test that can show if I really have this ?

The Organic Acid Test (OAT) is considered the standard for oxalate testing although the low oxalate people claim there is some skill in interpreting it.

Hgreen56

Oranges and other high oxalate foods use to give me trouble with achy knees and bad foot pain in the mornings. I have since eliminated the spinach and make sure I eat more boiled potatoes than roasted and strain that orange juice, as you said, and pain no more!
how do you strain orange juice?

Hgreen56

I use a metal sieve for a first strain and then a finer one for a second strain. I do a lot of different fruit juices that way. I have been posting step-by-step directions with pics on how to make them on my Peaty Fruits & Vegetables thread.

if i strain orange juice with the same sieve as yours,lot of pulp will still go through it.

i don't understand btw, the oxalate are in the fiber?

if i strain orange juice with the same sieve as yours,lot of pulp will still go through it.

i don't understand btw, the oxalate are in the fiber?
Straining orange juice doesn't get rid of oxalates just digestive issues from the pulp. The talk about oranges were pertaing to histamines and digestion. I had trouble with oxalates from potatoes, which boiling them and dumping the water remedied. Baked potato is full of them.

Hgreen56

Straining orange juice doesn't get rid of oxalates just digestive issues from the pulp. The talk about oranges were pertaing to histamines and digestion. I had trouble with oxalates from potatoes, which boiling them and dumping the water remedied. Baked potato is full of them.
ah so ok thanks

ah so ok thanks
The best way to deal with oxalates is to balance them with a lot of calcium. When I was having problems with oxalates, even from orange juice I was dairy free. Those were some horrible achy leg times. I even had oxalate crystal shards coming out of my body through the roof of my mouth ?

Hgreen56

The best way to deal with oxalates is to balance them with a lot of calcium. When I was having problems with oxalates, even from orange juice I was dairy free. Those were some horrible achy leg times. I even had oxalate crystal shards coming out of my body through the roof of my mouth ?
what has calcium to do with it? (first time hearing this)
how do you count oxalates anyway...

I don't know how they count them, but there are lots of lists on the internet of high oxalate foods from highest to lowest.

Calcium binds to oxalates and carries them out of the body.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210705-131149_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210705-131149_Samsung Internet.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 13
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals