How can I find out if oxalates are my problem?

Motif

Or one of my problems.

cocoa is my enemy and that’s for sure now.
my scalp reacts extremely bad to it.

maybe I should eat a low oxalate diet, but how to find out if it’s really the oxalates?

Last edited:

RealNeat

Or one of my problems.

maybe I should eat a low oxalate diet, but how to find out if it’s really the oxalates?
Eat a bunch of spinach or chard and see if your kidneys or joints hurt/ ache. That's how I know.

Or one of my problems.

Sounds like histamines to me.

Probably !
You can chalk up a lot to histamines. Histamines have a vast array of symptoms including what you describe. How I figure out the culprits of my symptoms, as well as others is food logging. Also take an anti-histamine and the eat the chocolate and see is if your reaction is lessened. If it is than you kniw it the itchy chocolate situation is histamine related.
Probably !

You can chalk up a lot to histamines. Histamines have a vast array of symptoms including what you describe. How I figure out the culprits of my symptoms, as well as others is food logging. Also take an anti-histamine and the eat the chocolate and see is if your reaction is lessened. If it is than you kniw it the itchy chocolate situation is histamine related.
I remember oranges, are a problem for you too. Have you considered that you may have histamine intolerance?

Z

Zsazsa

With the many food intolerances you are having it seems the way to go. I advise caution with the amount of any high glycine stuff because it is an inhibitory neurotransmitter and might worsen inflammation.

Serene

I remember oranges, are a problem for you too. Have you considered that you may have histamine intolerance?
Oranges are also high in oxalates (whole oranges, not the juice though).

Oranges and other high oxalate foods use to give me trouble with achy knees and bad foot pain in the mornings. I have since eliminated the spinach and make sure I eat more boiled potatoes than roasted and strain that orange juice, as you said, and pain no more!

Serene

Oranges and other high oxalate foods use to give me trouble with achy knees and bad foot pain in the mornings. I have since eliminated the spinach and make sure I eat more boiled potatoes than roasted and strain that orange juice, as you said, and pain no more!
That's awesome you were able to get the OJ back in. I can do about 1-2 glasses a day of OJ

I have issues with oxalates...

Boiled potatoes have less oxalates than roasted? I didn't know that. I have serious issues when eating potatoes (doubling over in stomach pain). Would love to try to get them back into my diet (since they are cheap and easy). So mashed potatoes might be worth a try? No skins correct? Lots of butter?

That's awesome you were able to get the OJ back in. I can do about 1-2 glasses a day of OJ

I have issues with oxalates...

Boiled potatoes have less oxalates than roasted? I didn't know that. I have serious issues when eating potatoes (doubling over in stomach pain). Would love to try to get them back into my diet (since they are cheap and easy). So mashed potatoes might be worth a try? No skins correct? Lots of butter?
Well the thing with oxalates can be from either a build up of them or a sensitivity to them. In my case after getting them out of my diet for awhile and then adding them back in a small amount I realized I don't have a sensitivity to them. I then also realized they were the cause of my kidney, pancreatic and gall stones, now never to have stones again, eating potatoes now and then. Boiling does take out a lot of the oxalates, by throwing away the water with them, roasting does nothing for reducing oxalates. The key to getting an occasional high oxalate food sprurge in is to pair it with calcium. That was huge for me in getting my body to quit creating those excruciating stones. The red, more sugary potatoes, are also much lower in oxalates than russets. So peel red ones, boil them in water, and mash them with milk and butter. Often I do a half and half mash with parsnips, which are lower in oxalates, and make an even tastier mash! Strategizing is the key to having all!

OP
M

Motif

With the many food intolerances you are having it seems the way to go. I advise caution with the amount of any high glycine stuff because it is an inhibitory neurotransmitter and might worsen inflammation.

but do people really have Success with this?
is there no test that can show if I really have this ?

My girlfriend suffered greatly for 10 years, going to the hospital on two occasions, while on vacations, with anaphylaxis. She has passed out on airplanes (high altitude makes histamines go to the head), had various rashes and a multitide of other mysterious ailaments, and was shocked when I suspected histamine intolerance. She had never heard of it. She read up on it, and was surprised that it matched everything she was experiencing. Now the mystery of why she ate the same shrimp tacos at her favorite restaurant for years and years suddenly had her in an ambulance unable to breathe. She was so grateful for the answer and said to me, "Why after going to 10 different doctors over 10 different years has none of them ever mentioned histamine intolerance to me?" There wasn't much in on it 10 years ago. Personally I have never gotten any answer to getting RID of ANY problem from a doctor, and no wonder misdiagnoses is at the top of the list for causes of death in America. I can guess better. I don't need their bandaid pills. With advice they had given me on my gall bladder stones and the pills they tried to put me on, for life, for a heart arrhythmia, prescribing my son steroid cream for, what was really a yeast overgrowth, their "well intended" "professionsl" advice would have made our situations much worse! I have friends who have nearly died from the same. Don't get me wrong, cause I can go on about the medical profession for hours, it just has a very limited place in my life, when I am unconscious and can't think for myself anymore or a bone popping out through my skin. For the last 4+ years I just do my due diligence and read and hear what Ray Peat has to say on the subject and apply it. He has no horse in race, and his medical and scientic advice is free! So I don't know what the docs are up to nowadays with their money maker tests. All I can tell you is that I went from people pitying me for my struggles, which were there for everyone to see, to being healthier than anyone I know now and them coming to me for advice. I don't know if it is gone, but I know if I were not being nice to myself I will be fine with my body telling me so before i end up with something much worse!

Z

Zsazsa

It worked for me. I have been in a place similar to yours in the past. Mind you that protocols both found in the internet and personalized by a nutritionist recommend 2 grams of glutamine daily, whereas I never took more than 300-500 mg and it worked pretty well, I regained tolerance to several foods.

OP
M

Motif

It worked for me. I have been in a place similar to yours in the past. Mind you that protocols both found in the internet and personalized by a nutritionist recommend 2 grams of glutamine daily, whereas I never took more than 300-500 mg and it worked pretty well, I regained tolerance to several foods.
How long did you take the stuff? Does it matter when you take it? With food / before / after ?