How Can I Become More Mentally Strong?

Broken man

Hello, I think that book called Official guide to success by Tom Hopkins could help you. I found it better than supplements, I am reading it every day and life is not so hard. Good coffee could help you too, there is thread that its good tool against social defeat Caffeine - a "new" drug for depression / social defeat . Do NO FAP, optimize dopamine, guys on cocaine feel unbreakable And hear this:

tara

Alcohol is a non-Peaty, anti-solution, in my opinion.
And mine (at least in more than small amounts).

Basically, follow all the advice given on this forum.
Lol. That could be tricky. :)

Been doing that for a long time...
I think it's the learning, paying attention, perceiving, thinking for yourself, choosing, acting, observing the effects, altering course, etc that gives you the best chance of finding a way forward that works for you.
Outsourcing too much of this to internet strangers or hypnotists risks leaving you without much sense of how to find your way.

There's nothing like accomplishing goals you choose for yourself to give you more of a sense of your own capabilities. Especially if some of them are a bit of a stretch. As ecstatic says, behaviour is important.

This one might be obvious, and may have already occurred to you, but even though I'm generally in favour of a bit variety in the diet, probably best to avoid passing Greek sailors. :)

Last edited:

Travis

This is from Stephen Mitchell's translation of the Tao Te Ching.

Fill your bowl to the brim
and it will spill.
Keep sharpening your knife
and it will blunt.
Chase after money and security
and your heart will never unclench.
Care about people's approval
and you will be their prisoner.
Do your work, then step back.
The only path to serenity.

But you cannot find this in any of the other eight translations, so it's hard to know if this actually came from the mind of Lao Tzu or if it is a Mitchell confabulation.

Either way, it's one of the quotes that stuck out when I used to listen to the audiobook at night, before sleep.

But he's right, whether it's Lao Tzu of Stephen Mitchell saying it. People can control you by expressing either approval or disapproval, but only if you're willing to be controlled that way.

OP
cyclops

cyclops

This is from Stephen Mitchell's translation of the Tao Te Ching.

Fill your bowl to the brim
and it will spill.
Keep sharpening your knife
and it will blunt.
Chase after money and security
and your heart will never unclench.
Care about people's approval
and you will be their prisoner. Do your work, then step back.
The only path to serenity.

Wow this whole thing is really great!

OP
cyclops

cyclops

Androgens would help but DHT is very hard on your metabolism and would require you to eat a whole lot of nutritious foods.

This doesn't seem impossible. Any nutrients in particular? DHT should help though right?

Constatine

This doesn't seem impossible. Any nutrients in particular? DHT should help though right?
It depends. DHT can increase adrenaline under certain conditions. But as long as you get enough food I'm sure it will help.

Lurker

Watch some Jordan Peterson videos on youtube

Dr Peterson has done serious thinking on a meaningful life as well as how people mess it up. His acedemic background in philosophy and mythology tied into the psychoanalytical archetypes of Jung along with 30 years of clinical psychology pasted onto his perspective of 20th century history plus his well thought out views of the current culture wars has been really interesting education for me. He his own podcast as well which I would highly recommend. Just his ideas on chaos and order would be a good place to start.

This sounds nuts! lol.

Not at all. There is plenty of research on mind/body connections. It seems that fake it 'til you make it works in this department. You don't even have to smile, you can stick a pencil in your mouth and it will improve your brain chems. Amy Cuddy's work on power posture is another example. There are physical feedback loops as well as mental feedback loops as well as neurochemical feedback loops. All the inputs affect the output. What are the stories you're telling yourself? Where did they come from? Are they true? Start writing some of this down and see where it leads.

Also I read this book Resilience that had some good stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Resilience-Hard-Won-Wisdom-Living-Better/dp/0544705262

This one is also a classic:
https://www.amazon.com/How-Stop-Worrying-Start-Living/dp/0671733354

Hypnotists are a real thing? How do they work?

You can read upon ideomotor techniques. Also Scott Adams had a good post on hypnotism on the Dilbert blog:
Scott Adams' Blog

Neuro Linguistic Programming might be better for a DIY hypnosis. It's more like changing your default modes. Meditation, no/low fap, very limited social media and news would also help to remove your echo chamber filter bubble. But by all means be social. People are generally nicer IRL.

I hope you can find something meaningful in all of this.

Travis

Get your prolactin as low as possible
But . . . I have a stray kitten to nurse.

(Just kidding. I don't even have manboobs, much less lactating manboobs.)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals