How big of a role do relationships play in longevity?

equipoise

Relationships can be a constant source of stress and disappointment, folie a deux if you will.
Strong relationships and bonds with people are very healthy and good, providing much needed socialization which is probably the healthiest thing around.
That being said, you should always strive to pick who you're gonna hang around with, someone that makes you real and provides you with general happiness when around. It's one of the few things we can still control, who we're gonna hang out with that is.

Elie

Forum Supporter
social interactions, especially later in life, constitute the top determinant of longevity.
Not sure about romantic relationships though.

The people who live a long time tend to have very strong social connections with other people. However, not necessarily with a romantic partner. I do feel however that for most Mira mortals, having a romantic relationship that is a good one will probably add many many years of good life.

InChristAlone

Pretty significant
journal.pmed.1000316.g006.png

ellejs

Have you ever noticed when people get into a new relationship everyone is glowing and losing weight and all touchy feely and happy and then you see the same couple 5 months later and they look like they’ve been dragged through a war zone. Seems like everyone is on their best behavior early on……

Then there are the couples who have been together forever and you can just tell they are happy because they are both aging well. I definitely think relationships influence health/longevity.

ursidae

As everything else, it’s circular. Relationships and sex are hugely health promoting but you actually have to be attractive (=healthy+good prenatal environment) to have a blooming social life and receive love and sex. Nowadays the attractiveness bar is much higher, especially if you’re an introvert and prefer to be approached instead of chasing after people. And certain phenotypes even if healthy/reasonably attractive are at an automatic disadvantage. from my observations usually it’s Asian males, black females, Indian people, people from the Middle East and Eastern Europe.

BearWithMe

Then there are the couples who have been together forever and you can just tell they are happy because they are both aging well. I definitely think relationships influence health/longevity.
And then, when one of them dies, the other dies very shortly after.

BearWithMe

...from my observations usually it’s Asian males, black females, Indian people, people from the Middle East and Eastern Europe.
Agreed with the first 3.

But Middle Eastern and Eastern European women are some of the hottest women on the planet, and Middle Eastern and Eastern European men are some of the most masculine, well-built, dominant men on the planet.

BearWithMe

But to answer OP's question. Influence of relationships on the lifespan is probably highly individual.

Introverts are going to live longer if they spent a lot of the time alone, extroverts are going to live longer is they spent a lot of the time surrounded by people.

It all boils down to stress IMO.

For some is stressful being alone, for some is stressful being surrounded by people.

Being alone is always better than being in bad relationship.

ursidae

Agreed with the first 3.

But Middle Eastern and Eastern European women are some of the hottest women on the planet, and Middle Eastern and Eastern European men are some of the most masculine, well-built, dominant men on the planet.
Being Middle Eastern/Eastern Euro is a big fail in north/Western Europe, likely in the US too but I haven’t been there. Eastern-Western unions from my observations have a screwed up inferiority-superiority complex dynamic. I’m getting the impression people nowadays are being too fixated on dating another ethnicity/race , in a superficial/fetishist way. And there’s often a desire of one of the parties for them and their offspring to become more like the other.

Last edited:

BearWithMe

Being Middle Eastern/Eastern Euro is a big fail in north/Western Europe, likely in the US too but I haven’t been there. Eastern-Western unions from my observations have a screwed up inferiority-superiority complex dynamic. I’m getting the impression people nowadays are being too fixated on dating another ethnicity/race , in a superficial/fetishist way. And there’s often a desire of one of the parties for them and their offspring to become more like the other.
Western men are generally a bunch of weak, obedient, submissive pu***es. Females are programmed to seek and procreate with the strognest, most dominant males they can get, so many western females naturally gravitate towards much stronger, more masculine and dominant eastern men.

And vice versa, many western men gravitate towards more submissive, feminine, sweet and caring eastern females.

There is nothing superficial or fetishist about it, it is exactly the opposite. It is following the rules of nature.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals