How beneficial is it to replace bedroom furniture/flooring after so many years? (To organic natural options)

Is it worth replacing?

• Yes

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Josh

Hey all

How beneficial do y’all think it is to replace an old mattress, Bed frame and an old carpet? I’ve had mattress and bed frame for maybe 10-12+ years, the carpet I’ve had for 7+ years. These are just standard shitty things I've got that I had way before I was interested in health.

My sleep and health improves all the time (I do have days where I go backwards but generally sleep has defo improved, which makes me wonder if the bedroom furniture is having much of an effect on me?)

I’d be getting a really high quality Organic latex/wool etc mattress, Natural solid Low VOC flooring and a Low VOC glueless bed frame which is all gonna be a pricey investment but if it’s really worth doing, I’ll do anything for my health.

I spend a lot of time in the bedroom as I work from home and obviously.. I sleep there

What do y’all think? Anyone notice benefits when replacing these things? Is it worth the investment of everything?

Dr. B

im not sure if it was posted on here but mattresses have offgassing, so an older one would be better since it should have already released most of its chemicals

Hey all

How beneficial do y’all think it is to replace an old mattress, Bed frame and an old carpet? I’ve had mattress and bed frame for maybe 10-12+ years, the carpet I’ve had for 7+ years. These are just standard shitty things I've got that I had way before I was interested in health.

My sleep and health improves all the time (I do have days where I go backwards but generally sleep has defo improved, which makes me wonder if the bedroom furniture is having much of an effect on me?)

I’d be getting a really high quality Organic latex/wool etc mattress, Natural solid Low VOC flooring and a Low VOC glueless bed frame which is all gonna be a pricey investment but if it’s really worth doing, I’ll do anything for my health.

I spend a lot of time in the bedroom as I work from home and obviously.. I sleep there

What do y’all think? Anyone notice benefits when replacing these things? Is it worth the investment of everything?

My surroundings were causing me HUGE issues! My chemical laden mattress and topper gave me achy legs every morning. Sitting on my new retro recliner eventually had me vomiting one night and unable to pee the next morning without taking a tylenol (that went on for two weeks until I figured it out), my leather sofa gave me a horrible arm rash that got so hot everytime I consumed flouride, chicken, pork or rice. A tiny room fan had EMF's coming out of it and gave me searing back pain. I cannot express enough how important it is to get the chemicals and dirty electricity out of your environment. Before getting an EMF meter I wondered why I would have dizzy spells sometimes in the kitchen, get agitated in my sunroom or a headache would come on in another room. Now I have no issues, staying off the two pieces of furniture and areas where the EMF's are high. I bought all cotton bedding and an organic mattress and topper. I feel the healthiest I have ever been in my life now! Here is the arm rash where my arm was up against the back of the new leather sofa everyday for a couple of months. Get rid of the carpet and don't replace it. Carpet is chemical ridden. I would rather live with a concrete floor than carpet. It really is a nasty collector, like wearing the same clothes for years without washing them uck!

Attachments

• 20190317_123834.jpg
    20190317_123834.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 20
im not sure if it was posted on here but mattresses have offgassing, so an older one would be better since it should have already released most of its chemicals
That is true, but at the very least get an organic topper. That is what I did in rooms with older mattresses.

OP
J

Josh

Yeah thats true, but the new one I'm getting is the best of the best, no flame retardants, Low VOC, Organic latex/wool etc.. very pricey.. and I'm sure the old mattress is full of collected dust and what ever else it collects, can't be great ?

OP
J

Josh

My surroundings were causing me HUGE issues! My chemical laden mattress and topper gave me achy legs every morning. Sitting on my new retro recliner eventually had me vomiting one night and unable to pee the next morning without taking a tylenol (that went on for two weeks until I figured it out), my leather sofa gave me a horrible arm rash that got so hot everytime I consumed flouride, chicken, pork or rice. A tiny room fan had EMF's coming out of it and gave me searing back pain. I cannot express enough how important it is to get the chemicals and dirty electricity out of your environment. Before getting an EMF meter I wondered why I would have dizzy spells sometimes in the kitchen, get agitated in my sunroom or a headache would come on in another room. Now I have no issues, staying off the two pieces of furniture and areas where the EMF's are high. I bought all cotton bedding and an organic mattress and topper. I feel the healthiest I have ever been in my life now! Here is the arm rash where my arm was up against the back of the new leather sofa everyday for a couple of months. Get rid of the carpet and don't replace it. Carpet is chemical ridden. I would rather live with a concrete floor than carpet. It really is a nasty collector, like wearing the same clothes for years without washing them uck!

Thats crazy!! Must be a nightmare to be so sensitive to these things! I wouldn't be replacing the carpet with another carpet, I've got a Low VOC solid natural bamboo flooring which looks like the best of the best In terms of VOC

Dr. B

Yeah thats true, but the new one I'm getting is the best of the best, no flame retardants, Low VOC, Organic latex/wool etc.. very pricey.. and I'm sure the old mattress is full of collected dust and what ever else it collects, can't be great ?
whats latex made of isnt that allergenic

Thats crazy!! Must be a nightmare to be so sensitive to these things! I wouldn't be replacing the carpet with another carpet, I've got a Low VOC solid natural bamboo flooring which looks like the best of the best In terms of VOC
It is great to be that sensitive. I am the oldest in my household and the healthiest now. I think it is better to be able to sense danger before it is too late, with chemicals and EMF's (heavy metals and flouride too) having already done their damage. I have said it before on this site, that i wonder how many people are on pain medications FOR LIFE being diagnosed with fibromyalgia, when it may be the chemicals.

Birdie

What will they use to secure the bamboo flooring? It sounds beautiful. In my case, all the glues stir up allergies. I'd forgotten about that.

Do you have the basics? cotton sheets? And not the wrinkle free ones treated with chemicals? What about the mattress pad? And what @Rinse & rePeat se said about the organic topper.

What about your pillow? Comforter/duvet? Maybe you've already done all that.

Birdie

I vote for maybe.

amd

Mattresses usually get mold over time and their color change. A new one will outgas.

akgrrrl

I can vote that you will appreciate the clean. Just because you THINK it doesnt bother you, well your nose becomes accustomed.
Every room in my house is natural wood, glass, cotton, silk and wool. No glued together flooring from China, thankyou. At great expense, I put in brown wool carpeting with sisal backing, never looked back.
New Englander feather mattress. Essential oils in the paint on the walls. Cotton velvet upholstery, wool handknotted rugs and pillows.i have never regretted the expense, and for 200bucks I get it all steam cleaned every 5 months. It will become your refuge, and your senses will sharpen.

I can vote that you will appreciate the clean. Just because you THINK it doesnt bother you, well your nose becomes accustomed.
Every room in my house is natural wood, glass, cotton, silk and wool. No glued together flooring from China, thankyou. At great expense, I put in brown wool carpeting with sisal backing, never looked back.
New Englander feather mattress. Essential oils in the paint on the walls. Cotton velvet upholstery, wool handknotted rugs and pillows.i have never regretted the expense, and for 200bucks I get it all steam cleaned every 5 months. It will become your refuge, and your senses will sharpen.

As usual akgrrrl I am impressed! I have not regretted any expense either upgrading my surroundings to protect my health. Long ago my grandma said, "You spend one third of your life sleeping, so get the best bedding." It was one of the best pieces of advice I have ever had!

LucyL

Hey all

If it's in your budget, and you don't need the money for other things that might be more impactful, then why not do it?

Fairykiller

What akgrrrl said. I love the soft feeling of carpet under my feet. It’s a wool/Kashmir mix without chemicals and a sisal backing. It stays in place without glue. I use a steam/water vacuum cleaner. It’s great.

akgrrrl

What akgrrrl said. I love the soft feeling of carpet under my feet. It’s a wool/Kashmir mix without chemicals and a sisal backing. It stays in place without glue. I use a steam/water vacuum cleaner. It’s great.
Thanks for mentioning the soft, because so many think wools are itchy. Wool is just a catchall word for many types of fur spun into many types of fiber thread. It is antibacterial. And hundreds of hours go into shearing, washing, combing, carding, dyeing, spinning and then crafting something into one of the most durable fibers of the natural world.

akgrrrl

As usual akgrrrl I am impressed! I have not regretted any expense either upgrading my surroundings to protect my health. Long ago my grandma said, "You spend one third of your life sleeping, so get the best bedding." It was one of the best pieces of advice I have ever had!
Grandma knew best!

Hey all

Luann

Great to hear natural latex mentioned, my pillow is latex. The material is consistent and supportive, and no it is not allergenic like other latex products. It's a renewable resource and much better than sleeping on fake feathers, springs and chemicals.

akgrrrl

My mother and grandmother taught us about a thing called Spring Cleaning, wherein the home is deep cleaned. Since the average human sheds about 40 lbs of skin in a lifetime, it is reasonable to clean ones mattress and pillows. In the old days we would haul it outside and beat it, before doing same with rugs etc. Years later the Kirby vaccuum guy showed us how to detach the upright handle and use the powerful suction and vibration of the beater bar to accomplish same. If feather pillows were soiled despite the pillowcase, and washable zippered liners, grandma would put them in the washer with soap like anything else and tumble dry.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom