How bad is white bread?

FitnessMike

GodsHound

I like sourdough bread. Supposedly the fermentation process denatures the gluten or something... I think Ray gives it his preference. As always, less additives the better. Watch for iron fortified wheat if you care...

Im eating copious amounts of croissants at the moment :))

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

I like sourdough bread. Supposedly the fermentation process denatures the gluten or something... I think Ray gives it his preference. As always, less additives the better. Watch for iron fortified wheat if you care...

Im eating copious amounts of croissants at the moment :))
for some reason, i crave plain white flour bread (fresh from lidl) with butter when I'm hungry in the afternoon

P

Peatness

for some reason, i crave plain white flour bread (fresh from lidl) with butter when I'm hungry in the afternoon
Enjoy it. Dr Peat actually speaks in favour of white bread over brown/wholemeal. If you can handle the starch and gluten it should be fine

OP
FitnessMike

FitnessMike

Enjoy it. Dr Peat actually speaks in favour of white bread over brown/wholemeal. If you can handle the starch and gluten it should be fine
thanks Pina

animalcule

I don't think there's anything wrong with traditionally made sourdough using un-enriched, unbleached, non bromated white flour. Less lectins, wheat germ agglutinin, and other anti nutrients. Easier to digest. IIRC, it also spikes blood sugar less than wholemeal flour. Long fermentation time breaks down the gluten, improving digestibility. I'm experimenting with sourdough wheat bread after about 7 years of being gluten free (first loaf baked tonight with einkorn wheat! unfortunately it *is* wholemeal flour, but it's what I bought months ago before I looked into the white vs wholegrain flour debate).

It goes against what I read about in Weston A. Price's book (refined flours, canned foods, sugar --> tooth decay and deformity), but ... look at the French. The Italians. Other European groups that eat plenty of refined wheat flour foods. Back before modern times (now people process foods for purposes of improving the industrial food-making/distribution machine and its profits), people processed food to remove harmful elements or improve nutrient bioavailability or to improve storability. Almost all of Asia seemed to have undertaken the labor of removing the rice bran to make white rice. Same with wheat. The 'whole grain is good' dogma seems to be wrong.

blob69

Almost all of Asia seemed to have undertaken the labor of removing the rice bran to make white rice

Do you have any source information for this statement? I'm interested in this subject and have wondered many times if traditional societies perhaps refined their grains in some way. White bread just tastes so much better than the whole grain stuff.

Industrial flour milling is well known to worsen health badly though, I don't think anyone disputes that. But perhaps some less aggressive form of refining is good.