How Bad Is Topical Ciprofloxacin (Ear Drops)?

I understand Ciprofloxacin is considered a bad antibiotics, but what about topical application?

I have a mild ear infection that requires treatment, and have been prescribed this.

Is it OK topical and short term, or avoid at all costs? If you think it is advisable to avoid, do you know what alternative remedies I could seek?

Thanks!

Maljam

Could you see what side effects of the ciprofloxacin are and ring your doctor and say you took them and getting the side effects? Maybe irritation or something? I did this before when I was younger with an antibiotic I didn't want to take and they prescribed one I was happier with.

OP
E
Thank you, that is what I will do unless I am able to ascertain if the topical application of this antibiotic is less of a concern.

yerrag

Are there safer alternatives? That's a question you should ask your doctor.

You could try urea. Or a poultice made of crushed garlic and honey. I mean, these are simple and effective antibiotics without side effects. How life-threatening is your infection that he has to prescribe you something that expose you to risk?

OP
E
I thought I would ask Ray Peat about this as succinctly as I could, and I got a reply:

Systemic risk is small when it’s used only in the ear, but I think it’s best to try one of the old safer antibiotics first—tetracycline, penicillin, erythromycin or azithromycin.

Advocate2021

I thought I would ask Ray Peat about this as succinctly as I could, and I got a reply:
Hello- following up on this to see what you ended up doing and how it worked? I am confronting a similar situation with an ear issue and wondering if ear drops of one of the antibiotics recommended by Dr. Peat would work so wanted to see what you ended up doing and how it worked. thanks!

OP
E
I tried coconut oil, water & apple cider vinegar, and garlic infused olive oil, none of them eradicated the infection.

I did manage to get the Doctor to prescribe a non-cipro antibiotic, but not one of the recommended types by Ray.

I can't for the life of me find or remember which one it was, but I researched it first on the Internet and did not find any of the negative side effects associated with Cipro. It was also commonly used as eye drops. It cleared the infection within a couple days and ear is now fine. The Doctor really wanted to prescribe Cipro so I looked up the common side effects and concocted a story that in the past I took Cipro for X and got X side effects so was told by my previous doctor not to take it again.

yerrag

Attachments

• Ear Infection Sample Pages.pdf
    149.7 KB · Views: 14

Perry Staltic

Next time try rubbing alcohol first to see if that clears it up. It has helped me every time I've gotten swimmers' ear. Kills bacteria in the ear canal and dries things up. I use an eye dropper. Tilt head to the side, bathe ear canal, let sit for a few seconds, tilt head other way to drain. Repeat as necessary.

Last edited:

TreasureVibe

Don't use cipro! It will damage your nerves permanently possibly! It's called being floxed. Look it up!

Gustav3Y

Don't use cipro! It will damage your nerves permanently possibly! It's called being floxed. Look it up!
What about Levofloxacin? I do not mean on ears, I mean it is a common antibiotic use around here, especially for urinary infection, but not only.

Advocate2021

I tried coconut oil, water & apple cider vinegar, and garlic infused olive oil, none of them eradicated the infection.

I did manage to get the Doctor to prescribe a non-cipro antibiotic, but not one of the recommended types by Ray.

I can't for the life of me find or remember which one it was, but I researched it first on the Internet and did not find any of the negative side effects associated with Cipro. It was also commonly used as eye drops. It cleared the infection within a couple days and ear is now fine. The Doctor really wanted to prescribe Cipro so I looked up the common side effects and concocted a story that in the past I took Cipro for X and got X side effects so was told by my previous doctor not to take it again.
thanks. the antibiotic that cleared your ear was still in the form of ear drops?

Gustav3Y

Weird thing is after I had a premolar extracted (which had puss at the moment of extraction) I was prescribed cefuroxime after 48hours I developed constant dizzies, and sensation of floating, it is now 4 months later and I am the same, changed my life into worse.
Around 2 months ago I was prescribed Levofloxacine for inflamed sinuses, and after 7 days I was getting worse, I still had 3 days more to take but I stopped. It felt horrible.