How Bad Is Topical Ciprofloxacin (Ear Drops)?

Discussion in 'Ask For Help or Advice' started by Evolutionarily, Oct 14, 2020.

1. Evolutionarily

Evolutionarily Member

I understand Ciprofloxacin is considered a bad antibiotics, but what about topical application?

I have a mild ear infection that requires treatment, and have been prescribed this.

Is it OK topical and short term, or avoid at all costs? If you think it is advisable to avoid, do you know what alternative remedies I could seek?

Thanks!

2. Maljam

Maljam Member

Could you see what side effects of the ciprofloxacin are and ring your doctor and say you took them and getting the side effects? Maybe irritation or something? I did this before when I was younger with an antibiotic I didn't want to take and they prescribed one I was happier with.

3. OP
    Evolutionarily

Evolutionarily Member

Thank you, that is what I will do unless I am able to ascertain if the topical application of this antibiotic is less of a concern.

4. yerrag

yerrag Member

Are there safer alternatives? That's a question you should ask your doctor.

You could try urea. Or a poultice made of crushed garlic and honey. I mean, these are simple and effective antibiotics without side effects. How life-threatening is your infection that he has to prescribe you something that expose you to risk?

5. OP
    Evolutionarily

Evolutionarily Member

I thought I would ask Ray Peat about this as succinctly as I could, and I got a reply: