How bad is a one-time xray of the entire spine?

Can

Question is in the title. There are a lot of threads on the damaging effects of xrays, but how bad is it really if it happens once and the rest of your lifestyle is good? Talking about the entire spine here

Last edited:
OP
Can

Can

The reason I ask is because of a suspected slight scoliosis a doctor wants to check, the standart procedure is to get an xray of the entire spine. I heard MRTs are less invasive because of the radiation there being non ionizing but unfortunately the standard is to get xrays. How damaging is it once, and is it reversable? I am not fearful about a lot of things, but radiation makes me feel uneasy.

Last edited:

yerrag

It's fine as you're not acting like a moron doing yearly things like mammograms. If it's necessary because without it your doctor is left to guess about your spinal condition it may backfire on you as the doctor cannot assess your condition properly.

You can lessen the effects of the xray by red light therapy.

Chiropractors need xrays to see the condition of the spine so they can determine the kind of adjustment needed based on how good or bad the spine looks. I've done some involves therapy for. 3 months before and it helped me greatly. The subluxation, or misalignment, were identified and resolved and kept from getting worse. The xrays are a necessary evil.

Ben.

Maybe haiduts suggestion is helpful if you realy have to take one:

If you have to have dental x-ray done, load up on some methylene blue, niacinamide, caffeine and aspirin about an 1 hour before the x-ray. Then, after the x-ray is done take the above mixture for 3 days. This should take care of the most damaging part of the immediate and post-exposure x-ray effects.
Btw, this recommendation would apply for any x-ray anywhere in the body. If you are getting a CT scan, which is essentially an x-ray on steroids, I would up take the combo for at least a week after the CT scan.
The dosage of each ingredient individually shown to provide some protection is 15mg methylene blue, 1,000mg niacinamide, 1,000mg aspirin, and 400mg caffeine.

Altough gauge ofcourse if you can tolerate these things beforehand ofcourse.
It is worse than it looks, actually. The promotion of X-ray around the world was/is an openly admitted conspiracy, at the highest levels of government/academia, in order to increase the sales of companies like GE/Siemens/etc that make most of the X-rat/CT machines. So, not only is ionizing radiation dangerous and has no place in healthcare (except in true emergencies where lives are at stake), but the people really running the show know very well that it is dangerous at ANY dose and simply don't care...as long as it makes them money. @Peatness @yerrag

Fred

I wouldn't get an x-ray unless it was an emergency/trauma situation. You can partially/completely correct scoliosis with postural exercise/stretching anyways, so why not just skip the "official diagnosis" and begin the corrective measures?
I don't know if they still do this, but it used to be the case that scoliosis was "corrected" with steel rods. This is not a path I would ever want to go down.

ChiroGuru

„Slight scoliosis“? You don‘t need a X-ray for that! Do you have any symptoms like back pain etc.?

Makrosky

It is okish but ask them beforehand for protection to cover your thyroid and your balls. That is important.

ironfist

I wouldn't get an x-ray unless it was an emergency/trauma situation. You can partially/completely correct scoliosis with postural exercise/stretching anyways, so why not just skip the "official diagnosis" and begin the corrective measures?
I don't know if they still do this, but it used to be the case that scoliosis was "corrected" with steel rods. This is not a path I would ever want to go down.
Can you post more about correcting it with stretching and postural exercise?

AlaskaJono

X-ray as little as possible is my motto. If you have too for diagnosing a ruptured disc, or similar spinal issues, OK. But if you can try and get the MRI. I have had an MRI in the last few years, for positive diagnosis (for idiot medical folks) yes a ruptured disc. I could have gotten an Xray, but it seemed ridiculous as it was obvious. But I hardly ever get xrays, just maybe a few every 10 years. And precautions as above @haidut's advice, etc. , aspirin, etc.. , can assist with negative aspects of damage.

If you just have a little scoliosis, with no pain or nerve impingement or nerve pinching, there is no need to get an Xray. Stupid in fact. If your quality of life is not impacted, don't worry about it. But do get some treatment from Acupuncturist/massage therapist/Osteopath who does cranial sacral, etc.., for your spine if you like. I have treated dozens of people successfully for scoliosis and most people get 65-100% straighter after 3-10 treatments. (I have practiced acupuncture for over 3 decades).

It is probably an M.D. who wants an Xray to confirm that your spine is not straight. If this is the case, and as above - ie. no symptoms, then don't do it and do not worry about it. And seek some other treatment for your back and body in general. That's my take.

DrJ

One 2D xray image will be extremely minimal dose, so if it would help you avoid a lifetime of scoliosis problems, then in my view the tradeoff is well worth it. But generally prefer MRI if available / financially possible.

Logan-

One 2D xray image will be extremely minimal dose, so if it would help you avoid a lifetime of scoliosis problems, then in my view the tradeoff is well worth it. But generally prefer MRI if available / financially possible.
Your posts have helped me form a better judgement regarding radiology in modern medicine. Thanks for posting them.

I have to get a chest x-ray every six months to get a prescription to a medicine that I have to take for a chronic disease. How worried would you be with this, if you were in the same shoes? To keep my disease in remission I have to take this drug, so I have to get the X-rays.

What are some things that should be taken before and after X-rays? Aspirin and other nsaids are contraindicated for my situation, and I cannot tolerate coffee/caffeine.

Peatress

Where did you get this information from? Thanks

"X-rays do their harm at any dose; there is no threshold at which the harm begins." Ray Peat

Last edited:

DrJ

Your posts have helped me form a better judgement regarding radiology in modern medicine. Thanks for posting them.

I have to get a chest x-ray every six months to get a prescription to a medicine that I have to take for a chronic disease. How worried would you be with this, if you were in the same shoes? To keep my disease in remission I have to take this drug, so I have to get the X-rays.

What are some things that should be taken before and after X-rays? Aspirin and other nsaids are contraindicated for my situation, and I cannot tolerate coffee/caffeine.
I mean if you don't have a choice.... It's always a tradeoff. X-ray devices actually save lots of lives, so it's not like one can look at the harm from x-rays in isolation to make their decisions. Even though a CT scan is relatively high dose, it has made it possible to find all sorts of internal maladies that would have never been found, resulting in a life-saving intervention. Previous to that, the person would have just died 'mysteriously' or from something we now consider preventable. See the dose chart I link below for some perspective.

Of course, lower radiation dose is always better so if you can push to like every 8 months or every year then that seems worth trying for. An effective / good quality vitamin E would be the best choice, probably right before, and if not then, then right after.

Where did you get this information from? Thanks

"X-rays do their harm at any dose; there is no threshold at which the harm begins." Ray Peat
Here's a useful chart: https://www.acr.org/-/media/ACR/Files/Radiology-Safety/Radiation-Safety/Dose-Reference-Card.pdf

Peatress

I mean if you don't have a choice.... It's always a tradeoff. X-ray devices actually save lots of lives, so it's not like one can look at the harm from x-rays in isolation to make their decisions. Even though a CT scan is relatively high dose, it has made it possible to find all sorts of internal maladies that would have never been found, resulting in a life-saving intervention. Previous to that, the person would have just died 'mysteriously' or from something we now consider preventable. See the dose chart I link below for some perspective.

Of course, lower radiation dose is always better so if you can push to like every 8 months or every year then that seems worth trying for. An effective / good quality vitamin E would be the best choice, probably right before, and if not then, then right after.

Here's a useful chart: https://www.acr.org/-/media/ACR/Files/Radiology-Safety/Radiation-Safety/Dose-Reference-Card.pdf
Have you seen this paper? It was posted on an old radiation thread - all those recommendations are based on falsified data

Cancer risk assessment foundation unraveling: New historical evidence reveals that the US National Academy of Sciences (US NAS), Biological Effects of Atomic Radiation (BEAR) Committee Genetics Panel falsified the research record to promote acceptance of the LNT

gaze

what is the disease and medication

YourUniverse

Im convinced adult onset scoliosis is from overactive psoas muscles, which becomes overactive from stress/fear/trauma and consolidated by the habit of sitting.

Strengthening the antagonist muscles, gluteus maximus and the hamstrings, will provide some relief and is probably the best long-term solution. I think it must be implemented alongside something that releases the psoas, as well as behavioral practices to keep stress and fear at bay so that the psoas do not clamp down hard again.

Try TRE (trauma releasing exercises). There is a youtube walkthrough available.

Another option is using a "pso-rite". Its pretty expensive for being basically a few cents worth of plastic. There are reddit tutorials on how to make your own using tennis balls and tape.

Be mindful that when your psoas are released that you are likely to feel a rush of emotion and it is possible to re-traumatize yourself in the subsequent days. I highly recommend journalling daily as you use psoas-releasing practices.

Im not sure an xray is needed here.

Goodluck

Logan-

Thanks again.

DrJ

I have seen that Letter to the Editor. Do you understand what the author is arguing in favor of there?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals