How bad can having an internet router in your room be? EMF

Ratatopo

I have the internet router of the house in my room. Is it worth it to move it to the living room (not too far away)? Or is it not gonna make a difference. I like in an apartment so probably my neighbors signals still affects me regardless.

InChristAlone

10 ft is a safer distance. Ideally we wouldn't have them at all, but 10 ft is better than 6 ft and so on. Place it as far as you can.

74one

I have the internet router of the house in my room. Is it worth it to move it to the living room (not too far away)? Or is it not gonna make a difference. I like in an apartment so probably my neighbors signals still affects me regardless.
Routers working full power all the time and there is no way to reduce radiation level electronically. Quick fix would be to cover router with aluminum cooking tray, this will attenuate down at least 10 times harmful radiation and make sure you leave some holes on top and bottom for ventilation. But if this router located in the bedroom I would put at least two aluminum trays on it, this way radiation will be reduced 100 times, and you still will have strong signal for your devices

livesimply

How about those "shields" you can buy to slide over the router? Do they work?

Elie

Forum Supporter
Routers working full power all the time and there is no way to reduce radiation level electronically. Quick fix would be to cover router with aluminum cooking tray, this will attenuate down at least 10 times harmful radiation and make sure you leave some holes on top and bottom for ventilation. But if this router located in the bedroom I would put at least two aluminum trays on it, this way radiation will be reduced 100 times, and you still will have strong signal for your devices
Interesting. Do you have resources / references about this?
Would aluminum foil work?

joaquin

Turn the router off at night. That is what I do. And I use an ethernet cable instead of wireless.

74one

Interesting. Do you have resources / references about this?
Would aluminum foil work?
I used to have this set up at home and verified level of power attenuation with EMF meter, aluminum foil will work as well but since it thinner it will attenuate RF signal little less, about 8-9 times - actually one of the walls in my house that facing cell phone antennas still covered with 4 layers aluminum foil - this helps attenuate signal about 10,000 times. See attached document on 3rd page, A3 for RF levels in sleeping areas

Attachments

• building-biologist-emr-exposure-guidlelines.pdf
    198.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

74one

Turn the router off at night. That is what I do. And I use an ethernet cable instead of wireless.
If you do not use wireless then call Internet SP and ask them to turn off wireless, that is what I did

joaquin

I have fiber optic. I called the company and they said there is no way to turn off wireless. All I can do is log in and set password which prevents other users from using it. Back when I was on coaxial cable internet, I could log on to the router thru the browser and shut of WiFi that way.

Elie

Forum Supporter
I used to have this set up at home and verified level of power attenuation with EMF meter, aluminum foil will work as well but since it thinner it will attenuate RF signal little less, about 8-9 times - actually one of the walls in my house that facing cell phone antennas still covered with 4 layers aluminum foil - this helps attenuate signal about 10,000 times. See attached document on 3rd page, A3 for RF levels in sleeping areas
Thanks for sharing this doc.
Based on a quick glance, there is no info there on use of aluminum to reduce radiation, right?

DeadCatBounce

A nice trick: Turn the Beacon Interval to 1000ms in the advanced settings of the router. So it does not send out 10 signals per second to connected devices. Going to send out once per second only. Will reduce the side effects somewhat. There is some info on the net that it lowers the radiation by 90% or so.

Another one is the aluminium foil that @74one mentioned.

AdoTintor

I was religiously and labouriously turning my BT router off at night and on again in the morning via laptop controls - only to find out years later it never actually completely switching the wifi off. This is because BT take a fraction of your wireless to support their BTwifi service which tries to provide roaming coverage to people, and they always leave this on. So I now have to completely turn it off at the plug rather than switch it off using laptop controls. Only found this out when I bought a EMF detector. I also use ethernet cable but my kids want wifi for their phones - I assume it is not possible to cable that. Anyway who cares anymore as these are the least of our problems.

Phaedrus

How about those "shields" you can buy to slide over the router? Do they work?
From what I’ve heard they “work” in the sense of reducing your WiFi signal enough so that devices might not be able to connect. How much they shield radiation, I’m not sure.

joaquin

I was religiously and labouriously turning my BT router off at night and on again in the morning via laptop controls - only to find out years later it never actually completely switching the wifi off. This is because BT take a fraction of your wireless to support their BTwifi service which tries to provide roaming coverage to people, and they always leave this on. So I now have to completely turn it off at the plug rather than switch it off using laptop controls. Only found this out when I bought a EMF detector. I also use ethernet cable but my kids want wifi for their phones - I assume it is not possible to cable that. Anyway who cares anymore as these are the least of our problems.
This is precisely why I shut off the power to the router before going to bed.

74one

Thanks for sharing this doc.
Based on a quick glance, there is no info there on use of aluminum to reduce radiation, right?
This doc. gives you levels of radiation that are safe, you can check with EMF/RF meter (I have Cornet ED88T) level of radiation in your home - if it's elevated in RF range you can use aluminum based material to block it, but if it's electro magnetic field then you would need soft magnetized steel to block it

amd

Last edited:

ElDuderino

Get a Wave Cage, which cuts about 90% of the RF emissions. Routers are all dramatically overpowered anyways. And, turn it off at night. Everyone should turn off their routers at night. This is a cheap and very accurate RF meter that people should have in general. You want to be in the green zone as much as possible especially at night... Amazon product ASIN B09KNTXN3YView: https://www.amazon.com/Safe-Sound-Classic-Living-Technologies/dp/B09KNTXN3Y/ref=sr_1_3?crid=2H266J09WIGPZ&keywords=safe+and+sound+emf&qid=1655574496&sprefix=safe+and+sound+emf%2Caps%2C207&sr=8-3

AlaskaJono

Unplug the router at night. Done. It doesn't stay on like phones do when 'off'.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals