How Are You Teeth? Is Anyone Else Crazy About Oral Health Here?

welshwing

Why does oral health matter? It's mostly about tooth extractions, if it is pulled out your jaw/face bone shrinks. This looks less good facially and also causes health problems.

Prevent extractions and gum disease by getting enough calcium & vitamin D in your diet, remove acids from teeth with water, brush gums (to increase blood flow), gently brush & floss teeth at least once a day (to remove plaque).

I've never had a cavity all my life (which is rare) due to high calcium + vitamin D diet (milk with added D). I never brushed or anything as a kid either. If I never got a cavity just from following that 1 rule, what if you followed all of them? I'm taking my own advice.

Luann

Check out Denise Minger (yes she knows Mark Sisson, no it's not a big deal), she "unruined" her teeth, as she puts it.

Congrats on 0 cavities. That is rare.

Birdie

I have a 71 year old friend who's a dentist with no cavities. Was shocked when she told me.
Keep up the good work with your teeth. Will save you so much time and money if you don't need
them dental surgeries! And fewer X-rays.

Vitamin K2 is THE miracle vitamin for oral health. I find it causes striking improvements.

I've had good success with (gasp) ascorbate also. But K2 is the best by FAR in reducing gum inflammation and rebuilding lost bone, making periodontal pockets less deep.

Peata

Vitamin K2 is THE miracle vitamin for oral health. I find it causes striking improvements.

I've had good success with (gasp) ascorbate also. But K2 is the best by FAR in reducing gum inflammation and rebuilding lost bone, making periodontal pockets less deep.

How much do you take for the oral health benefits? And any idea how long til you saw results?

lvysaur

I've never been to the dentist in my life, until I started eating vinegary foods regularly one summer. I had a tooth chip the following september.

Other than that, I've never had a cavity, crooked teeth, etc. Keep your mouth as acid-free as possible, gargle with fat and rinse w/ water

Ulla

When using vitamin K more often my smarting/stinging pain while flossing teeth disappears.
I have a particular spot between bottom 5th and 6th tooth that always hurts while flossing. It stops when I increase vit K intake.
The difference is noticed quite soon...like a day or two.
I use Thorne's K2/D.

lindsay

:+1:dancingsmileyman

Vitamin K2 has been a game changer for me - as well as eating hard cheeses (which also contain K2 in addition to calcium). My teeth were wrecked after my low-calorie stressed out vegetarian diet. I was getting extreme gum recession, tooth sensitivity and weak teeth. They still have a long way to go (and I am in desperate need of a cleaning these days), but they feel much stronger and are way less sensitive. K2 to the rescue!

Birdie

I've taken it (K2) for years and years. I've always eaten cheese too. No gum sensitivity or bleeding.
My weakness is the teeth themselves. My enamel looks thin.

Last week I read a (note a, as in 1) study showing good results,
better than fluoride it showed, for hardening enamel. I've never used fluoride.
But, without checking Peat, who cites many studies usually, not just 1,
I went and bought this hydroxyapatite toothpaste. Very expensive from Japan.

Yesterday, thanks to this thread, I got more interested. I checked Peat articles for hydroxyapatite. Ugh.
Possible connections with cancer. My $ 18 toothpaste sits by me here.
Anyway, more study ahead before I take up using it full time.

I brush, scrape tongue and mouthwash twice a day and floss once a day :angelic:

Peata

Can the rest who are taking K2 also state how much you take per day?

OP
W

welshwing

Yes K2 effects bones, can make them thicker and cause joint soreness if you take a massive dose. I know teeth are greatly effected by calcium and vitamin D, so maybe K2 does too. But some people like the admin of this site said K2 raises tartar formation for them.

Low calcium vegan diets are the worst because you can get malnourished eating green leafy vegetables + grains which also inhibit absorption of minerals.
phytic-acid-causes-cavities.png

• Group One: Regular diet plus oatmeal (which is high in phytic acid)
  • Group Two: Regular diet plus vitamin D
  • Group Three: Diet low in phytic acid plus vitamin D.

Group 3 had the least cavities because they didn't eat foods that inhibit calcium absorption and they got good vitamin D which helps calcium absorption.

Fractality

I'm sure that the amount of cavities one has is also a factor of how aggressive their dentist is in "finding" cavities.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
But some people like the admin of this site said K2 raises tartar formation for them.
I just started using haiduts vitamin K(Kuinone) and am not having that issue anymore, quite the contrary. I was flossing a couple days ago and a big chunk of tartar fell off. I kinda freaked out at first because I thought it was a piece of tooth. But after further inspection it was indeed a big chunk of tartar. Been using it steady for about 2 weeks now and so far so good.

bobbybobbob

I saw a few years ago a youtube recording of a presentation to a "paleo" crowd by some orthodontist talking about how a lot of tooth problems are from lack of jaw muscle development and usage. We're built to chew a lot more on tougher food, and people are attributing various teeth problems to nutrition that are probably more to do with soft foods, and also posture. He emphasized the importance of keeping the jaw closed and the tongue positioned properly, as well as carrying the head and neck properly.

I can't easily dig up the guy's video but it was a good one. He's a late middle age brit with hipster glasses. He had some dramatic photographic evidence about his successful interventions with children without orthodontic appliances or drugs. Just by prescribing exercises and posture he had corrected these kids' palates and dentition.

I've never had any decay problems or cavities or gum issues at all. I never had braces and my teeth have always been straight. This guy in the video advocated chewing gum. I always liked chewing gum anyway, and I took his advice. After a couple years of deliberately chewing gum for an hour or more almost every day I discovered that my teeth have very obviously spaced out and some minor imperfections in tooth position have corrected. I think my jaw has grown a bit. Three or four years ago I would have to use some force to pull floss through some tooth gaps. Not anymore; I barely even need to floss anymore. I can very clearly see that where one of my incisors was very slightly crooked it is now perfectly straight.

Shrimp

I have a mouth full of large amalgam fillings (13ish?) from my college years, when I was constantly sleep-deprived and fueled by Mountain Dew and energy drinks. :doh I only recently started getting some cavities again (8 years later) along with gum recession. I probably don't get enough calcium and am also wondering if my taking Vit. A without D and K may have caused issues, so I recently added those in. I brush 2x/day (modified Bass method), floss nightly, rinse with water after eating and pop a couple of xylitol mints after meals. I tried oil pulling with coconut oil and feel that it actually made my teeth more yellow and sensitive, like it was stripping them or something. After trying more natural toothpastes like Earthpaste for months in an attempt to remineralize my teeth with little change, I caved and just started using ACT Fluoride rinse + MI Paste, so we'll see how that goes!

bobbybobbob

I saw a few years ago a youtube recording of a presentation to a "paleo" crowd by some orthodontist talking about how a lot of tooth problems are from lack of jaw muscle development and usage. We're built to chew a lot more on tougher food, and people are attributing various teeth problems to nutrition that are probably more to do with soft foods, and also posture. He emphasized the importance of keeping the jaw closed and the tongue positioned properly, as well as carrying the head and neck properly.

I can't easily dig up the guy's video but it was a good one. He's a late middle age brit with hipster glasses. He had some dramatic photographic evidence about his successful interventions with children without orthodontic appliances or drugs. Just by prescribing exercises and posture he had corrected these kids' palates and dentition.

I've never had any decay problems or cavities or gum issues at all. I never had braces and my teeth have always been straight. This guy in the video advocated chewing gum. I always liked chewing gum anyway, and I took his advice. After a couple years of deliberately chewing gum for an hour or more almost every day I discovered that my teeth have very obviously spaced out and some minor imperfections in tooth position have corrected. I think my jaw has grown a bit. Three or four years ago I would have to use some force to pull floss through some tooth gaps. Not anymore; I barely even need to floss anymore. I can very clearly see that where one of my incisors was very slightly crooked it is now perfectly straight.

Found the guy.

This isn't the specific video I saw. I think he's essential correct. Teeth problems in the modern industrialized world are not due to nutrition. It's posture and lack of usage. Lack of chewing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals