Houseplants and air quality

Raypmom

Hello all :D

I have a question about houseplants. I have had spider plants in my kitchen for a while now. Almost one year. They don't seem to cause me any problems and I never thought much of them. But recently my husband baught 2 more house plants from Home Depot. A Bromeliad and Tulips. The Tulips I put out on the Patio this morning but I starting having hay fever (wich I have not had since I started peating) So I was wondering what could have caused it. No foods changes either, or anything else same old stuff. The back of my throat seemed a bit irritated and I was constantly having to sneeze. Itchy throat as well in the middle of the night. Both plants were in house over night. This morning I set them both out and I am feeling better. Throat a little irriated still. Finally my question is what house plants do you guys expereicne as good air cleaners ? Second why have I not reacted to my spider plants ? ( I grew them myself with organic potting soil) Third question I really love my bromeliad, what can I do to keep it inside instead of on the patio. Also the tulips? I will spend some time on the patio to relax and stuff so is it better to just get rid of it all together unless there is hope and you guys can provide suggestions :/

Dan W

I'd be curious if anyone knows which plants from that list are most resistant to being killed by neglectful owners :lol:

aguilaroja

Dan Wich said:
I'd be curious if anyone knows which plants from that list are most resistant to being killed by neglectful owners :lol:

The varieties of Sansevieria/snake plant are very hardy. With decent indoor placement (not blazing sun), they withstand many weeks of inattention. They grow easily. They are modestly priced compared to some plants.

Different basic houseplants books and web sites list relatively easy care plants. Golden pothos is pretty hardy and in the air cleaning category. So are a few others.

aguilaroja

Dan Wich said:
... but I've been meaning to try one of these "air purifying" plants just because the idea is fun:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ai ... nts#Plants

Most of the conclusions about air-cleaning plants are based on the Wolverton data. It may be good data, but there may be many other plants and plant qualities that also good be helpful.

Health benefits of indoor plants is a good topic. It's telling about research that a simple, possibly cheap health effect is minimally studied.

4peatssake

Dan Wich said:

marijuana-decriminalized-washington-dc.jpg

Dan W

Well I am in Colorado...

Although I think those are prone to being killed by their owners with fire.

4peatssake

Dan Wich said:
Well I am in Colorado...

Although I think those are prone to being killed by their owners with fire.
That's becuz the "jolly good herb" is a sacred bush. ;)

dynamic_resize

Dan W

I did a search on that image, and the signoff is "Ganja Santa". He more than likely spaces out on who's been bad or good.

mt_dreams

Raypmom said:
Hello all :D

I have a question about houseplants. I have had spider plants in my kitchen for a while now. Almost one year. They don't seem to cause me any problems and I never thought much of them. But recently my husband baught 2 more house plants from Home Depot. A Bromeliad and Tulips. The Tulips I put out on the Patio this morning but I starting having hay fever (wich I have not had since I started peating) So I was wondering what could have caused it. No foods changes either, or anything else same old stuff. The back of my throat seemed a bit irritated and I was constantly having to sneeze. Itchy throat as well in the middle of the night. Both plants were in house over night. This morning I set them both out and I am feeling better. Throat a little irriated still. Finally my question is what house plants do you guys expereicne as good air cleaners ? Second why have I not reacted to my spider plants ? ( I grew them myself with organic potting soil) Third question I really love my bromeliad, what can I do to keep it inside instead of on the patio. Also the tulips? I will spend some time on the patio to relax and stuff so is it better to just get rid of it all together unless there is hope and you guys can provide suggestions :/

So your spider plant has been grown organically, and the other two plants were purchased at home depot where they spray their plants with neonics & use synthetic fertilizer in the soil. Sounds like the 2 new plants are jealous of the love you've given to the spider plant, and they want the same treatment so they are making you suffer almost like a sibling rivalry. If I was in this position (and didn't want to part with the plant species you just got), I would purchase one from a nursery that I trust and see if the symptoms continue with the new plant. If the symptoms subside, just give the poisonous home depot plant to someone you dislike and be on your merry way.

Regarding air purifying plants from the NASA study, a quick google search provide the following link. http://www.mnn.com/health/healthy-space ... ng-to-nasa

Neonicotinoid Insecticides article: http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic- ... mzsto.aspx

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals