Hot caramel milk

BingDing

I was out of chocolate syrup so I stirred in a tbsp dollop of dulce de leche. Took a little while to melt, but it was a nice change of taste from chocolate. Dulce de leche is whole milk, sugar, glucose, sodium bicarbonate for acidity control, vanilla. Seems pretty safe.

narouz

BingDing said:
I was out of chocolate syrup so I stirred in a tbsp dollop of dulce de leche. Took a little while to melt, but it was a nice change of taste from chocolate. Dulce de leche is whole milk, sugar, glucose, sodium bicarbonate for acidity control, vanilla. Seems pretty safe.

I can't think of anything bad in there.
The only possible bad thing could have to do with heating/dehydrating.
Peat often says food sources like that--maple syrup, for instance--can become allergenic from those kinds of processes.
Where did you buy yours, Bing?

OP
BingDing

BingDing

I didn't think about the heat, narouz. It doesn't seem to cause me any problems. I got La salamandra brand at Whole Foods but I've seen it in other stores. I think it comes without the vanilla, too.

J

j.

From that interview, just a bit later, RP says: "I was probably about 4 years old when I first took thyroid".

J

j.

It might be good to ask RP about dulce de leche. He gives the impression in that interview narouz posted that it might be carcinogenic. I feel great when I eat it, so it might be good to ask RP about it.

OP
BingDing

BingDing

j. I heard 40 years old when he first took thyroid. Not sure, though.

narouz, pretty spot on, I think. The Wiki page on caramel says the sugars are modified, so who knows if the glucose is available for normal metabolism. Much less if the sugars become allergenic or carcinogenic.

That Wiki page has a link to a page on the maillard reaction, our old buddy about "flavors". Very informative, IMHO. Carmalization is just the change in sugars, while the maillard reaction is sugar plus a protein, or an amino acid. They both produce a change in color, like brown, and a change in flavor. Indeed, it seems there are a million "flavors" the chemists can produce; and there aint s*** in the ingredients list of all the foods we eat that say what they did, the 'effin a'wipes.

So I would say that for a strict, healing regime, any brown that results from heat is not OK. That includes caramel. Even simple syrup might be suspect, if it produces brown color.

Crud, three times over. BD

key

^ didn't Ray say the caramel coloring has antioxidant properties and there is a study

J

j.

My message to Ray Peat:

Is dulce de leche carcinogenic?

Is dulce de guayaba (guava)?

His response:

Ray Peat said:
I don't think it's carcinogenic, but sugar that's browned becomes a little toxic and allergenic. I think the anti-aromatase of guayabas is likely to be protective against cancer. I have eaten lots of both of them, and plan to eat more.

OP
BingDing

BingDing

j. said:
My message to Ray Peat:

Is dulce de leche carcinogenic?

Is dulce de guayaba (guava)?

His response:

Ray Peat said:
I don't think it's carcinogenic, but sugar that's browned becomes a little toxic and allergenic. I think the anti-aromatase of guayabas is likely to be protective against cancer. I have eaten lots of both of them, and plan to eat more.

Kick ****, j. Thanks a million.

But I'm not letting the "flavor chemists" off the hook. Well, maybe for a day or two...nah, I want those f*****s to fess up.

The music never stops, eh?

Cheers, BD