Horrible reaction to milk

TypicalJock

So I have been drinking milk for around 2 months somewhat consistently daily around 0.25 to 0.5 liters per day
And my reaction to milk is not good at all
acne breakouts(a lot actually which makes it even worse since I already have a lot of acne)
bad loose stool
a little bit of stomach aches
what can I do to stop getting these bad reactions to milk?
very frustrated

ArtIt

Milk and milk products can create two problems. First: lactose intolerance, second: casein allergy. Lactose intolerance often starts with more than 200 ml of milk consumed. To avoid allergic reaction one can try goat milk, it has a different type of casein than cow's milk and thus does not cause allergy.

OP
TypicalJock

TypicalJock

Milk and milk products can create two problems. First: lactose intolerance, second: casein allergy. Lactose intolerance often starts with more than 200 ml of milk consumed. To avoid allergic reaction one can try goat milk, it has a different type of casein than cow's milk and thus does not cause allergy.
I do not have an allergy to it I geuss
its probably lactose intolerance since I can drink around 200 ml of milk easily but if I add more I get issues
what do you suppose I do so I can drink more milk?

Jib

I would try Lactaid/lactase enzyme in your case. Or, before you invest in that, buy some lactose-free milk. You should be able to find it at just about any grocery store. More pricey, but that will let you see if you get the same reaction to it or not. Try the extra expense and drink only Lactose-free milk for a couple weeks and see if that helps.

If it does, it would be worth investing in enzymes.

I make kefir, and seem to tolerate it very well. The pre-digestion of the milk really seems to help. I seem to tolerate whey protein isolate OK, but casein gives me horrible gas and bloating and generally makes me feel awful. Cottage cheese and Greek yogurt are problematic for me, so I avoid them.

However, I'm having less kefir now than I used to. A quart a day on the higher end of consumption, where I used to have up to two quarts a day. This is just out of preference. I do think kefir, because of the sour taste and texture, is harder to drink in quantity than milk. I thought I was good with milk for a while but overall I just tolerate kefir better.

Personally I don't think the bacteria and lactic acid are of any particular concern, especially when compared with having no dairy consumption at all. There's valuable minerals, and arguably K2 from bacterial fermentation, in kefir, that IMO outweigh the potential negatives of the bacteria/yeast/lactic acid. There are also a ton of studies showing the benefits of kefir and how it can help keep more harmful microorganisms in the body from getting out of control. Just go on PubMed and search "kefir" and there's a plethora of information.

You may consider a general digestive enzyme on top of the lactase. That might help deal with potential difficulties you're having digesting the protein in the milk. Just a thought. I do think the kefir grains pre-digest the protein to an extent as well, along with the lactose, and again, I seem to tolerate it much better. I keep a big jug of kefir in the fridge but I've come to prefer it at room temperature, and I think it's better digested this way anyway.

MidBicep

So I have been drinking milk for around 2 months somewhat consistently daily around 0.25 to 0.5 liters per day
And my reaction to milk is not good at all
acne breakouts(a lot actually which makes it even worse since I already have a lot of acne)
bad loose stool
a little bit of stomach aches
what can I do to stop getting these bad reactions to milk?
very frustrated
In terms of effectiveness to digestion and reaction to me these worked:
1. Getting low fat pausterised over whole
2. Eating some SFA with it (either adding coconut oil or eating fatty cheese)
3. Drinking it warm only
4. Adding sugar
5. Adding some salt

ArtIt

its probably lactose intolerance since I can drink around 200 ml of milk easily but if I add more I get issues
If one has lactose intolerance one can't drink more than the lactose intolerance threshold without the unpleasant consequences. I guess better strategy would be just to drink 200 ml of milk daily, and consume some good quality butter, since in general fats in milk products are good for the health.

Peaterpeater

Have cheese instead and try to see if casein powder works for you. No type/brand of milk seemed to work for me, Lactaid milk and lactase drops added to milk all gave me loose stools and brain fog. But cheese works really well for me. Ive just ordered some casein powder and praying that it will be ok for my digestion.

meatbag

I think the additives in milk are changing recently. I’ve been having issues as well the past week. It’s been mentioned that silicone dioxide is being added now... if that’s the case nothing you can do. It’s basically fiber glass.
@TypicalJock are you in the us if you don’t mind me asking?

equipoise

Fix your gut, enjoy the milk.
I couldn't handle milk in an endotoxin overload state. Decent gut health now, no more farts, noticed last week or so been downing 2L of store milk easily, no problem
Ray is right, its always the gut

Nemo

I think the additives in milk are changing recently. I’ve been having issues as well the past week. It’s been mentioned that silicone dioxide is being added now... if that’s the case nothing you can do. It’s basically fiber glass.

I agree. Haidut just had all the brands at his local Whole Foods tested and four of the five or six had gums and silica added. Dr. Peat was distressed to hear this.

You now have to look for milk that says "No Fillers or Additives" on the label. In my area, that's Strauss milk or St. Benoit. All the rest has gums and silica.

OP
TypicalJock

TypicalJock

Um no I am not in the US,
I couldn't handle milk in an endotoxin overload state. Decent gut health now, no more farts, noticed last week or so been downing 2L of store milk easily, no problem
oh nice, thats my goal honestly,i wanna drink like 2L milk daily
but if you don't mind me asking, asides from orange juice to go with the milk, what do you eat throughout the day?

Vins7

How did you do to heal your gut?

Hgreen56

Give your body the time to make more enzymes (lactase), this takes some time.
You can use lactase supplement... that probably help so you can drink more milk, but if you body than still makes his own enzymes... don't know.
Maybe spread the milk over the day also have some benefits.

Attachments

• study showed lactose intolerant people  able drink half a cup of milk 3 times a day without sy...png
    study showed lactose intolerant people able drink half a cup of milk 3 times a day without sy...png
    7.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited: