Horrible depressive side effects from melatonin

Hayley

I just ran out of the melatonin (3 mg) I’ve been taking for 3 months now. I kind of suspected it might be making me sluggish but I kept taking it because I wanted to be knocked out to go to sleep. The past two mornings without taking it the night before I’ve woken up not feeling like a train hit me, and had good mood and energy throughout the day. Pulse is up too, which I could never really get up since peating despite getting body temps up. Anybody else experience this? I’m really shocked at the difference.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I just ran out of the melatonin (3 mg) I’ve been taking for 3 months now. I kind of suspected it might be making me sluggish but I kept taking it because I wanted to be knocked out to go to sleep. The past two mornings without taking it the night before I’ve woken up not feeling like a train hit me, and had good mood and energy throughout the day. Pulse is up too, which I could never really get up since peating despite getting body temps up. Anybody else experience this? I’m really shocked at the difference.

Since melatonin is synthesized from serotonin, taking melatonin as a supplement (especially in mg doses, which is unphysiological) may lead to elevation of serotonin due to negative feedback mechanism - i.e. body senses it has plenty of melatonin so it stops converting the serotonin into it and serotonin may build up. In addition, melatonin (just like serotonin) is a potent metabolic inhibitor and known to be involved in hibernation, just like serotonin. If you have to take melatonin, I'd not take more than 300mcg daily. Glycine, magnesium, progesterone, etc have a much better track record as sleep aids, if you are using the melatonin for that reason.

Kykeon

Since melatonin is synthesized from serotonin, taking melatonin as a supplement (especially in mg doses, which is unphysiological) may lead to elevation of serotonin due to negative feedback mechanism - i.e. body senses it has plenty of melatonin so it stops converting the serotonin into it and serotonin may build up. In addition, melatonin (just like serotonin) is a potent metabolic inhibitor and known to be involved in hibernation, just like serotonin. If you have to take melatonin, I'd not take more than 300mcg daily. Glycine, magnesium, progesterone, etc have a much better track record as sleep aids, if you are using the melatonin for that reason.
do you think there is a logical reason to recommend 6mg as early treatment/prophylaxes in covid cases?? seems insane I-MASK+ Protocol - FLCCC | Front Line COVID-19 Critical Care Alliance

OP
Hayley

Hayley

Wow amazing response thank you. I had a suspicion it was raising serotonin based on symptoms, but since melatonin is synthesized from serotonin I sort of brushed that aside. Didn’t realize it would lead to a buildup because the conversion would then stop!

emunah

I have a paradoxical reaction to melatonin: it gives me horrible insomnia. I feel sleepy, but I wake up every 20 min. I took it once last week, and I lost two nights of sleep. Melatonin, not even once ;)

TurboTime

do you think there is a logical reason to recommend 6mg as early treatment/prophylaxes in covid cases?
Bats apparently have huge amounts of melatonin which lets them carry these diseases without problems. Children are also meant to have higher melatonin and covid is like nothing to them. But I would take niacin and melatonin balanced with each other like this guy Guy claims high dose Melatonin & Niacin is a cure all and also cures Covid/long Covid and vaccine damage

Since melatonin is synthesized from serotonin, taking melatonin as a supplement (especially in mg doses, which is unphysiological) may lead to elevation of serotonin due to negative feedback mechanism - i.e. body senses it has plenty of melatonin so it stops converting the serotonin into it and serotonin may build up. In addition, melatonin (just like serotonin) is a potent metabolic inhibitor and known to be involved in hibernation, just like serotonin.
Could this be a potential benefit of the niacin protocol. Niacin seems to use up melatonin, which could mean more serotonin is used up to create more melatonin? Plus metabolism gets raised?

B

Braveheart

Thanks for this...don't like it...wondering why the FLCCC anti covid protocol includes it.

-Luke-

I have a paradoxical reaction to melatonin: it gives me horrible insomnia. I feel sleepy, but I wake up every 20 min. I took it once last week, and I lost two nights of sleep. Melatonin, not even once ;)
I tried it twice in my life and didn't sleep a single second in both nights.

livesimply

Thanks so much for this! I'd been taking 5mg of melatonin for months but stopped after reading this. I do using progesterone at night and just began using two pumps of Magnesium Lotion and my sleep has been really good!

aliml

Melatonin Health Effects

-- Anaphrodisiac
-- Anti convulsant
-- Anti depressant
-- Anti gonadotrophic
-- Anti insomniac
-- Antioxidant
-- Anti radicular
-- Aphrodisiac
-- Contraceptive
-- Cyclooxygenase-2 inhibitor
-- Cyclooxygenase inhibitor
-- Depressant
-- GABA nergic
-- Gonadotrophic
-- Hypocholesterolemic
-- Hypothermic
-- Immunostimulant
-- Progesteronigenic
-- Serotoninergic

-- Thyrotropic
-- Anti aggregant
-- Anti thyreotropic
-- Hypnotic

noroit

I get the same yuck effects from Melatonin too. Not a fan.

It also completely destroys my libido.

I experienced the exact same libido-destroying effect. It didn't really help my sleep either.

mamakitty

Haha yes, it wakes me up regularly too and gives me the weirdest lucid dreams. But unfortunately for some of us we gotta take it to stop our brains from racing or we will never sleep.

changeling188

i use to, stupidly, take Valdoxan for mood problems and sleeping on recommendation of my partner at the time. It is a melatonergic anti-depressant. Anyway, it had basically had no good effect on my mood or attitude other than slight sedation/calmness and i increasingly felt apathetic, lethargic, uninspired, irritable and anhedonic. Came off it and my body rapidly debloated, increased tolerance to different types of food and better insulin responses, libido increased, felt warmer and far more stimulated and wanted to seek out different experiences. I also found it to have negative effects on my skin.
I have also taken melatonin prescriptions (Circadan 2mg i think? and homeopathic preparations which have all yielded the same result. and interestingly the homeopathic preps were stronger than the 2mg concentrations).
i'm not sure of this forum's position but i now use kava if i'm in dire need of sleep or relaxation. seems to have restorative effects on my temperament, helps to relax my GI muscles, helps with poor concentration which is my main affliction and seems to increase blood flow to extremities which is another problem i've had due to malnutrition and being underweight in the past. Cacao and brown sugar in hot raw milk also equally useful! I would recommend just taking a break from sleep-assistive supplements altogether or trying herbal teas or non-medical adjustments.
But in short answer yes i have! and i have friends who say the same. It seems to me that melatonin has almost quasi-SSRI effects, and i know that in Australia it has just been made available over the counter (it is not on our benefit scheme for pharmaceuticals so is a good money maker for its producer) and is perceived to have far more benefits than its cheaper and better available alternatives.

aliml

Melatonin potentiates 5-HT(1A) receptor activation in rat hypothalamus and results in hypothermia​

Makrosky

It could be the brand. I found most of them are crap.

It could also be that you have been sleeping poorly/thenstress hormones that you feel zombie once you finally sleep well.

Or it could be you don't react well to it. Then drop it.

But I would ignore Peat comments on it since they are not based on any decent research. Thi was discussed here some time ago and the only reference he was providing was, IIRC, a study of melatonin on porcine tissue or something similar.

There is a massive amount of research of its benefits at all levels, even against cancer.

I use melatonin and it is very helpful when needed.

frannybananny

Melatonin affects me very badly as well, even just a half of a 300mcg....that's microgram! Does help me sleep but I can't seem to wake up in the morning! ......just so sluggish and feel so bad. I take this as a sign that I don't need extra melatonin every night... I'll go back to wee amounts of progesterone and magnesium....less of a hangover. I'm amazed at some of the people on the cancer forums who take 40-6-mg at night and during the day. It also is supposed to help prevent the bad side effects from radiation if mega amounts are taken before and after treatment.