Hormonal Contraceptive Use And Risk Of Glioma

LeeLemonoil

Hormones and immunity in cancer: are thyroid hormones endocrine players in the microglia/glioma cross-talk?

+
Accumulating evidence indicates that the endocrine and immune systems engage in complex cross-talks in which a prominent role is played by thyroid hormones (THs). The increase of resident vs. monocyte recruited macrophages was shown to be an important effector of the TH 3,3′,5′-Triiodo-L-thyronine (T3)-induced protection against inflammation and a key role of T3 in inhibiting the differentiation of peripheral monocytes into macrophages was observed. Herein, we report on the role of T3 as a modulator of microglia, the specialized macrophages of the central nervous system (CNS). Mounting evidence supports a role of microglia and macrophages in the growth and invasion of malignant glioma. In this respect, we unveil the putative involvement of T3 in the microglia/glioma cell communication. Since THs are known to cross the blood-brain barrier, we suggest that T3 not only exerts a direct modulation of brain cancer cell itself but also indirectly promotes glioma growth through a modulation of microglia. Our observations expand available information on the role of TH system in glioma and its microenvironment and highlight the endocrine modulation of microglia as an important target for future therapeutic development of glioma treatments.

This paper suggests that T3s modulating effects on the brain immune cells promotes glioma growth. Cites a number of studies, but remains rather speculative. It also states that hypotyhroid patients show higher survival rates than eu- or hyper.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
H Effects of Physical Activity at High Altitude on Hormonal Profiles in Foreign Trekkers and Indigenous Nepalese Porters Scientific Studies 0
Igorevich Strange hormonal profile Cholesterol 19
tankasnowgod The Anti-Catabolic and Anabolic Hormonal Profile of Eggs Eggs 28
Lokzo Morning After Pill For Hormonal Re-Set In Men?! Experiments 0
TopGun1911 Did I permanently alter my metabolic and hormonal function by going on keto for 3 months + fasting? Diet 25
L Severe Hormonal Imbalance Female Issues 2
GreekDemiGod Female Interactions & Hormonal Profile Ask For Help or Advice 38
A How To Solve Hormonal Acne Caused By Weightlifting ? Skin 14
TheBeard Lucas Parker's Hormonal Profile Hormones 43
Mito Melatonin: Master Hormonal Conductor And Scheduler Articles & Scientific Studies 4
2ManyHistamines Tests Needed For A View Into The Hormonal Profile Of Panic Attacks? Ask For Help or Advice 17
D Hormonal Issues Possibly Stemming From Aromatase Inhibitor Use(?) Male Issues 33
ScurveDream Theory: Older People More Likely To Die Because Of Serotonin/estrogen/hormonal Issues? Metabolism 4
Cdmiller2939 Hormonal Profile Causes A Man To Be Very Fat Yet Very Muscular And Strong? Body Care 37
H Hormonal Blood Tests I Got For Depression Blood Work, Labs 14
I Female Hormonal Issues, Question About Best Idealabs Ask For Help or Advice 19
K Reason For Fatigue And Hormonal Imbalance? Ask For Help or Advice 1
A KHABIB NURMAGOMEDOV (UFC) HORMONAL STATE Health 66
marciomega Hormonal Treatment For Advanced Prostate And Breast Cancer Cancer, Degenerative Diseases 48
T Prostate Cancer, High Cortisol Levels And Complex Hormonal Interaction Scientific Studies 0
T Would Pansterone Correct Hormonal Imbalance Or Merely Masquerade It? Ask For Help or Advice 4
Lokzo 21 Y.O - Full Hormonal Results. Thoughts? Blood Work, Labs 22
D End Of My Rope, Very Distraught. Need Hormonal Experts Advice Ask For Help or Advice 21
ecstatichamster If Progesterone Makes My Penis Numb, What Does That Mean For My Hormonal Situation Male Issues 21
3 Post-Diet Hormonal Yield Diet 0
F Hormonal Imbalance? Female Issues 0
L Estrogen Receptor Activation By Tobacco Smoke Condensate In Hormonal Therapy-resistant Breast Cancer Scientific Studies 12
DuggaDugga Changes Of Thyroid Hormonal Status In Patients Receiving Ketogenic Diet Scientific Studies 3
S Maternal Nest-building Is Regulated By The Hormonal Actions Of Estradiol, Progesterone, And Prolacti Thyroid and Hormones 0
O How Can I Get A Healthy Hormonal Profile? Ask For Help or Advice 3
D What Is The Hormonal Profile Of A Man W/full Head Of Hair And A Hairy Body? Male Issues 13
J Hormonal Connection To Dopamine/Happiness/Mental Health Mental Issues 5
R Question About Hormonal Profile Ask For Help or Advice 0
scarlettsmum Women Over 35 Hormonal Changes, Are You Doing Anything? Female Issues 41
M Hormonal Blood Test Results - Need Advices Blood Work, Labs 0
nullredvector Nofap As Hormonal Deficiency, Addiction Misunderstood, And DHT Testimonials 59
P Hormonal Responses From Concentric And Eccentric Muscle Contractions Articles & Scientific Studies 2
Drareg Melanin Pigmentation In Mammalian Skin And Its Hormonal Regulation Scientific Studies 6
Ulla Hormonal combination of estradiol and norgestrel- pcos theraphy? Female Issues 29
T HORMONAL DIARRHEA? Digestion 30
G hormonal fluctuations Ask For Help or Advice 2
I Need help with hormonal acne Skin 23
D Using Progest-e as Contraceptive Female Issues 0
S Male Contraceptive (Progestin) 10 Years Away. Not Too Early To Start Marketing Though Miscellaneous Health Discussions 2
S The Contraceptive Pill Linked To Depression Scientific Studies 0
W Is There A Safe And Effective Contraceptive? Female Issues 28
F Contraceptive Pill Pharmaceutical Drugs 67
Jam Lack of antibodies against seasonal coronavirus OC43 nucleocapsid protein identifies patients at risk of critical COVID-19 Scientific Studies 0
LoryEl Research Mushroom consumption lowers the risk of cancer by 45% Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 0
md_a COVID-19 RNA Based Vaccines and the Risk of Prion Disease Scientific Studies 6