Hope For The Pale? Drug Induced Suntan - What Is A SIK Inhibitor?

nikkmm

As a fair skinned person with a history of skin cancer spots at a young age, I am very interested in this!

Tanning response replicated in cultured human skin: Novel compounds activate pigmentation pathway without damaging UV radiation

"Cultured human skin treated for eight days with a small-molecule SIK inhibitor (right) shows a significant increase in pigmentation. Areas treated with a control substance (left) or an SIK inhibitor less able to penetrate human skin (center) show no darkening."

But I don't understand what a salt-inducing kinase inhibitor is. Any knowledge, from a Peat perspective maybe?

kayumochi

Not entirely on topic, but I started tanning better with less burning after taking 12 mg of Astaxanthin daily from spring through fall (I live in a hot and sunny place). Taking aspirin and niacinamide regularly has only increased the tanning effects.

kayumochi

Not entirely on topic, but I started tanning better with less burning after taking 12 mg of Astaxanthin daily from spring through fall (I live in a hot and sunny place). Taking aspirin and niacinamide regularly has only increased the tanning effects.

I suspect the aspirin and niacinamide makes the Astaxanthin unnecessary but am unsure - am planning to experiment when the Astaxanthin runs out.

mangoes

This is really interesting to me. I was always olive skinned and tanned really easily, never burning once until I got ill, and now I will tan kind of but it fades so quickly. I emailed Peat once years ago about it but I don't remember what he said

Have you noticed any other benefits/cons from the Astaxanthin? I might try it

InChristAlone

I'm very pale but can get a tan and not burn if I follow some important rules of sun exposure. In the spring you gradually start spending more time in noon sun then you start building your melanin and decrease your risk of burning during high uv exposure. The body needs to adapt to that. Doing this I can safely be out in the summer without sunscreen and just have to watch for pinkness on my shoulders.

kayumochi

This is really interesting to me. I was always olive skinned and tanned really easily, never burning once until I got ill, and now I will tan kind of but it fades so quickly. I emailed Peat once years ago about it but I don't remember what he said

Have you noticed any other benefits/cons from the Astaxanthin? I might try it

No cons and the only benefit is more tanning and less burning ...

DrJ

I'm pretty pale but been experimenting with L-tyrosine before going out in the sun and it seems to help me tan better. L-tyrosine is oxidized into melanin so seems to make sense that having plenty of it would help that process.

Queequeg

That looks more like a malignant growth then a tan.

upload_2017-6-17_13-7-0.jpeg

OP
nikkmm

nikkmm

I'm pretty pale but been experimenting with L-tyrosine before going out in the sun and it seems to help me tan better. L-tyrosine is oxidized into melanin so seems to make sense that having plenty of it would help that process.

Funny I didn't know that. I have been taking tyrosine to help support thyroid function and I have noticed lately that my skin has a slightly more tan hue, despite getting less sun. I wonder if that's why!

Would still like to understand what an SIK inhibitor is. :?:

OP
nikkmm

nikkmm

This somewhat makes sense...

From Diabetes

"The salt-inducible kinases (SIKs), members of the AMP-activated protein kinase family, are negative regulators of cAMP signaling and regulate metabolic processes in various tissues such as the liver and adipose tissue. SIK1 and SIK2 often act as inducible repressors of cAMP signals as they are transcriptional targets of cAMP signaling but can then negatively regulate cAMP-mediated signaling. This negative feedback loop plays a key role in controlling different biological processes, including circadian rhythm (6), the coupling of fasting/feeding states to gluconeogenesis in the liver (7,8), and lipolysis in adipocytes (9)."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals