Homemade Vitamin D

Kman

Hey all,

A couple of questions on making a Vit D3 supplement at home with cholecalciferol powder (got some from Purebulk).

1) Any suggestions/tips on how to dissolve the powder in olive oil (or coconut oil)? I struggled to get the powder to dissolve in the oil simply by mixing it. Does it require low-level heat? Any resources or tips on this?

2) I also have some anhydrous ethanol (100%) I could use. I'd prefer it in olive oil so I can take it orally, but if I made a topical supplement with anhydrous (like Calcirol), I'm guessing it would be best with some fat present (being a fat soluble vitamin). Anyone got experience on homemade IdeaLabs-style supplements, and how much oil is best relative to ethanol for a D3 supplement?

Cheers

Quelsatron

Vitamin D is needed in such small amounts that one gram will equal a 10000 IU dose (probably more than one needs) every day for 11 years. Given the very small quantities needed, I wouldn't recommend mixing your own since any slight error can give you wayyy more than you intended which might even be harmful, even if you have a calibrated analytical scale. And the other alternative of mixing several grams in large amounts of liquid will waste 95% of it since it will expire way before you would use it.

Also, there's the concern of imperfect mixing which might lead you to consume large amounts at once despite adding a mathematically correct amount to the oil. I'm pretty sure good quality vitamin D is reasonably common, so I don't think you have any reason to do this.

OP
K

Kman

Vitamin D is needed in such small amounts that one gram will equal a 10000 IU dose (probably more than one needs) every day for 11 years. Given the very small quantities needed, I wouldn't recommend mixing your own since any slight error can give you wayyy more than you intended which might even be harmful, even if you have a calibrated analytical scale. And the other alternative of mixing several grams in large amounts of liquid will waste 95% of it since it will expire way before you would use it.

Also, there's the concern of imperfect mixing which might lead you to consume large amounts at once despite adding a mathematically correct amount to the oil. I'm pretty sure good quality vitamin D is reasonably common, so I don't think you have any reason to do this.
It's likely that the powder has fillers and won't work for making a solution.
You know what, you're both 100% right. The Purebulk product isn't pure, it's only 100,000IU per gram, which is why I thought I could make my own.

I didn't even notice the fillers as Purebulk sent me a CoA showing extremely high purity - but it was only a certificate for the cholecalciferol content - not the whole powder. Every other Purebulk product I've ordered is a 'pure' powder with no fillers etc, so I assumed it was the same for the Vit D3 based on the CoA they sent.

I guess D3 falls into the same category as things like T3 - even if you had a very pure powder, it would be so extremely potent that it would be impossible to make a supplement with small amounts unless you had all of the right equipment.

It's just frustrating that very few companies make a D3 product that's ONLY D3 in a good oil. It's also difficult to know whether the 'EVOO' in these products is decent either.

golder

You know what, you're both 100% right. The Purebulk product isn't pure, it's only 100,000IU per gram, which is why I thought I could make my own.

I didn't even notice the fillers as Purebulk sent me a CoA showing extremely high purity - but it was only a certificate for the cholecalciferol content - not the whole powder. Every other Purebulk product I've ordered is a 'pure' powder with no fillers etc, so I assumed it was the same for the Vit D3 based on the CoA they sent.

I guess D3 falls into the same category as things like T3 - even if you had a very pure powder, it would be so extremely potent that it would be impossible to make a supplement with small amounts unless you had all of the right equipment.

It's just frustrating that very few companies make a D3 product that's ONLY D3 in a good oil. It's also difficult to know whether the 'EVOO' in these products is decent either.
Georgi's 'Calcirol' product?

OP
K

Kman

Georgi's 'Calcirol' product?
Thanks - yeah I've used it quite a bit and I like it topically.

However, I'd like to use D3 orally, and the ethanol/SFA Idealabs products don't seem to go down well orally for me.