Homemade Oral Rehydration Solution Recipes

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Homemade Oral Rehydration Solution with Orange Juice *please see mt_dreams comment below.

- ½ tsp salt

- ½ tsp baking soda

- 8 tsp sugar

- 1 cup unsweetened orange juice without pulp

- 1 liter of water (4 1/2 cups)

http://www.oley.org/lifeline/ORS.html

Homemade Oral Rehydration Solution *my preferred recipe.

- 8 tsp sugar

- 1 tsp salt

- 5 cups water

mt_dreams

While the first solution containing oj will presumably hydrate you, the baking soda to oj ratio may turn the solution alkaline, which would greatly diminish your ability to absorb the B & C vitamins.

LucyL

If one doesn't want to go the homemade route, (storing powder is an easier long term solution) this study looked at the effectiveness of the most popular solutions. Oral Rehydration for Viral Gastroenteritis in Adults:

The interesting thing is the Gatorade didn't resolve hypokalemia, probably because Gatorade has relatively little potassium. However, Gatorade does make "Gatorlytes" which have a much higher potassium content, on par with the Pedialyte and ORS. If your stocking up, and want to go with Gatorade, make sure to get the Gatorlytes.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
mt_dreams said:
While the first solution containing oj will presumably hydrate you, the baking soda to oj ratio may turn the solution alkaline, which would greatly diminish your ability to absorb the B & C vitamins.
Thank you for bringing this up. The second recipe will be my go to if needed. I just happened to google right before I posted and found the OJ recipe.